Identified! MI - Detroit, WhtFem UP8272, 18-20, in garbage dump, recent childbirth, Feb'87 - n/a

Aug. 13, 2018 story:

Cops, FBI search Warren warehouse in decades-old missing-girl cases

Dwyer said there was enough probable cause to secure a search warrant, but he was guarded in providing details. He said there were a number of items to be looked at as possible evidence in the ongoing case — "items that will enhance our investigation."

No remains were found at the warehouse, Dwyer said.

Dwyer said police won't be releasing more information until they have more conclusive evidence.

He declined comment on whether authorities have done other searches since the dig in May and the warehouse search Monday. He said it's "always possible" authorities may go back to the Macomb Township location, which Dwyer previously called a "grave site."

Dwyer previously said authorities were redirected to the Macomb Township area after it was reported that Ream was bragging in prison about killing four to six people.

He said Ream, 69, who is suspected in the other missing girl cases, was interviewed and failed a polygraph. Fellow prisoners were also interviewed. Ream stopped cooperating with authorities.

I can’t help but wonder if she’s a victim of Arthur Ream.

Reminder that her investigator is still raising funds to run her genealogy and ID her. Link reposted below with more details. Please help if you can! No donation is too small.

Let’s help give answers to her child, wherever he or she is <3

Missing in Michigan, a 501c3 non-profit that works with law enforcement is raising money to do DNA sequencing and genealogical research on her remains.

Funds can be sent online to: paypal.me/missinginmichigan or mailed to them at: Missing in Michigan Association P.O. Box 941 Union Lake, MI 48387. **Make sure to note "87 Harper Jane Doe" so they can account for the donation correctly.**

No amount is too small! Let's bring closure for Jane Doe's family, and especially her child.

Missing in Michigan

Missing in Michigan

Fingers crossed. This case is close to my heart. I lost my mum at a young age. I was four and I don't remember much about her. I really hope this mum gets her name back so her child or children can find out who she was and what happened to her, and get some peace.

Yeah, the women who are known to be mothers really break my heart. Not just the loss but thinking what kind of life the children might have had if the other parent was the one who caused the mother's death.

Same here, Carbuff. In cases where DV may have been involved, I shudder to think what the children of missing mothers are being told to explain their disappearance. Can you imagine growing up being told your mother abandoned you only to find out it was a lie and they met with foul play? Most likely, this JD's child was too young to even remember.
I'm so hopeful for her!

I have an update on this case! I've been working with missing in Michigan and the "Doe Fund Me" project. Her DNA was obtained and will be run. Then it moves on to the genetic genealogists, and hopefully she will have her name in 2019!

I have an update on this case! I've been working with missing in Michigan and the "Doe Fund Me" project. Her DNA was obtained and will be run. Then it moves on to the genetic genealogists, and hopefully she will have her name in 2019!

Yep, last month DNA Doe Project indicated on their pinned facebook post that Harper Doe's DNA was at the lab for extraction :) According to their pinned post updated last week or so she was headed to DNA sequencing. Looks like she will be uploaded to GEDMatch soon and an active case for DDP if all goes well!

Update from DDP:

DNA Doe Project Case Announcement: Harper Jane Doe – Detroit, Michigan (1987)

Status: In November 2014, authorities exhumed the body of Harper Jane Doe to obtain a DNA sample for CODIS, which later proved insufficient for profiling. In late 2018 DDP was given the case.

On 8 October 2018 authorities submitted a bone for extraction. The extracted DNA was then sent for sequencing. However, the resulting data showed considerable contamination of her DNA, requiring extensive bioinformatics work before a usable file was produced.

On 8 May our team uploaded her data to gedmatch.com DNA Doe Project volunteers are currently conducting genealogical analysis. We were able to obtain several promising matches prior to the GEDmatch Terms of Service change on 18 May 2019. That day our matches went down to zero, but thanks to all the folks who are opting in, Harper Jane Doe is now recovering some of those matches.

Who was Harper Jane Doe?
An unidentified deceased female was discovered in an incinerator dumping yard located on the east side of Detroit off Harper Avenue on 10 February 1987. Her assailant had stabbed her, slit her throat, and likely sexually assaulted her.

Authorities determined Harper Jane Doe was probably between 16 to 25 years old, approximately 5' 5" tall, and 114 pounds with hazel or light brown eyes. Her brown hair was professionally cut and freshly colored with red and blonde highlights. Authorities noted that she had good oral hygiene and dental care. Harper Jane Doe had given birth somewhere between two and twelve months previously because she was lactating and had a recent episiotomy scar. She had pink sparkly nails and was wearing a pair of black bikini panties

NamUs #UP8272
NCMEC #1184291
Date found: 10 February 1987
Race: White / Caucasian
Sex: Female
PMI: Approximately two days

Anyone who believes they have relevant information on this case should contact authorities directly:
Sergeant Mike Russell
Detroit Police Department

Links to More Information:
http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1184291
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/8272
NamUs - Lori Bruski
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1207ufmi.html
The Doe Network
DNA Doe Project: http://dnadoeproject.org/case/harper-jane-doe-87/
Agency: https://www.detroitmi.gov/departments/police-department

Facial approximation image provided by: J. Wankmiller, Michigan State Police December 2013

Many thanks to our thoughtful supporters for their continued support and interest in the DNA Doe Project. As always, we ask that commenters remain respectful to our Does and their families.

#DNADoeProject
#DNADoeProject
#HarperJaneDoe87
#DetroitMichigan
#Michigan

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads