CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The official Ben Tyner missing FB page has a post from the Lower
Nicola Indian Band stating they are still rotating searches & also they helped corral the horse on their reserve when she was originally found, keeping her safe until she was claimed. Kudos to the reserve! Good thing know someone is searching. Sounds l8,evsome of the snow is melting, based on posts.

MISSING: BEN TYNER Public Group | Facebook

Last edited:
Imo we can all agree that the first week of the search for Ben was the most critical. A week when there was still a chance that he could be found alive...that he could be rescued.

And then we learned there were hints "put out there" that Ben was depressed and believed to be suicidal.

I wish somebody could reassure me that these "hints" were unknown to LE and all the others who were desperately searching during that critical first week. (I cringe to think that subconsciously one less search would have been made or any one search called off earlier on any given day due to those "hints.")

I am not saying that BT was suicidal. What I would like to say is that even suicidal people can, ie, dismount and be mauled by a bear w/out harm to their horse, break a leg, fall off a cliff, be murdered, Etc... MOO

Imo we can all agree that the first week of the search for Ben was the most critical. A week when there was still a chance that he could be found alive...that he could be rescued.

And then we learned there were hints "put out there" that Ben was depressed and believed to be suicidal.

I wish somebody could reassure me that these "hints" were unknown to LE and all the others who were desperately searching during that critical first week. (I cringe to think that subconsciously one less search would have been made or any one search called off earlier on any given day due to those "hints.")

I am not saying that BT was suicidal. What I would like to say is that even suicidal people can, ie, dismount and be mauled by a bear w/out harm to their horse, break a leg, fall off a cliff, be murdered, Etc... MOO

Who knows if LE had heard rumors. Some were public comments, made by a close family member. So, they were available with little research. Moo

What is the circled area called "drop off"?
I don't know. Curious right? Maybe where horse was taken after being found and before id'ed as Bens. Poster made comment earlier about searching and about bringing the horse to a corralled area until it was claimed.

ETA Unless it's a drop off point where a horse would be trailered in. JMO

And forgive me if I just missed it but where has it been suggested Ben had depression or suicidal thoughts? Or that his mental state was such that this may be a case of self harm?
Some comments from FB perhaps. But as in most MP cases, suicide, accident and foul play seemed to be considerations. When cause is unknown, speculation goes all ways. IMO

And forgive me if I just missed it but where has it been suggested Ben had depression or suicidal thoughts? Or that his mental state was such that this may be a case of self harm?

Mainly on the Missing BT Facebook page.
All we really know is that he’s missing and his riderless horse was found.

All good questions. I think all this 'safety' talk is just CYA now that an event
has happened and is unexplainable. Early on there was no talk of this safety
protocol. And you're right, he did not take his cell because of poor coverage.
There was so little info coming from the ranch, very early after him missing,
and it seems they're now trying to fill in the blanks.

Ben was a professional cowboy, manager, long time horseman and seemingly
a responsible person. He was strong, fit and in good shape. It still seems to me there had to be foul play involved. I believed he was ambushed on the the trail.
Just my hunch.
I believe that he was ambushed and my feeling is "he didn't see it coming"!

I wish I could ask a follow-up question of those who have known BT for many years...the ones who imo hinted, soon after BT disappeared, that self-harm could be an issue.

My question to them would be polite and with genuine interest in their thoughts: "So, in that case, do you also believe he left home that day on horseback and rode to wherever he is now?"

ETA: Yikes! I see that @watcher9 has posted an update, but I'm going to go ahead and post my mgs anyway.

RCMP call for dashcam footage in connection with missing cowboy - Merritt Herald

From link provided by Watcher9:

“The investigation continues to be a priority for the Merritt RCMP and the Southeast District Major Crime Unit (SED MCU),” said Staff Sgt. Lorne Wood, in a news release on Feb. 28. “Investigators are now asking anyone who was in Merritt on the weekend of Jan. 26 to 27 and has dash cam or other video footage, to please contact the SED MCU tip line at 1-877-987-8477.”

Thanks, Watcher9! Good to know LE expanded the search to this level. Surely they will get a lot of response to this plea. Idk how long dashcam footage is saved, do you?
Tysm

I have no idea.
Three reasons I can think of on why they want to review this. Seeing a trailer being pulled, seeing Ben on his horse, or see who was driving around.

I wish I could ask a follow-up question of those who have known BT for many years...the ones who imo hinted, soon after BT disappeared, that self-harm could be an issue.

My question to them would be polite and with genuine interest in their thoughts: "So, in that case, do you also believe he left home that day on horseback and rode to wherever he is now?"

ETA: Yikes! I see that @watcher9 has posted an update, but I'm going to go ahead and post my mgs anyway.
IMO, things were said in haste. Of course the Tyner family were not thinking clearly & had a wide range of emotions. Some things said might have been misinterpreted & then sensationalized.
Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member