Hi to Everybody

Reaction score
Hi to everybody,

I am Diego, I live in Italy and I am interested in identification cases in general. In particular I will be especially glad if someone will be able to help me in the identification of deceased italian soldiers in the Second World War: in these days many remains are arriving from the Kirov region in Russia, thanks to diplomatic agreements between Italy and Russia, and, unfortunately, the majority remain unidentified. There is a huge database of photos of the deceased (Deceduti sul fronte russo - Categoria: Deceduti sul fronte russo), and probably it could be possible to link some skull with some of these photos. Best greetings from Italy!

Hi to everybody,

I am Diego, I live in Italy and I am interested in identification cases in general. In particular I will be especially glad if someone will be able to help me in the identification of deceased italian soldiers in the Second World War: in these days many remains are arriving from the Kirov region in Russia, thanks to diplomatic agreements between Italy and Russia, and, unfortunately, the majority remain unidentified. There is a huge database of photos of the deceased (Deceduti sul fronte russo - Categoria: Deceduti sul fronte russo), and probably it could be possible to link some skull with some of these photos. Best greetings from Italy![/QUOTE
Welcome Diego!

Hi to everybody,

I am Diego, I live in Italy and I am interested in identification cases in general. In particular I will be especially glad if someone will be able to help me in the identification of deceased italian soldiers in the Second World War: in these days many remains are arriving from the Kirov region in Russia, thanks to diplomatic agreements between Italy and Russia, and, unfortunately, the majority remain unidentified. There is a huge database of photos of the deceased (Deceduti sul fronte russo - Categoria: Deceduti sul fronte russo), and probably it could be possible to link some skull with some of these photos. Best greetings from Italy!
Welcome to Ws Diego in Italy!
Your project sounds huge but very interesting, hoping some Russian or Italian posters with skull comparing skills can help!

Thanks for the welcome! It would be very useful for me to collect some couple of photos skull - face of the living, taken from solved cases of identificaton. It exists a study made by forensic pathologists of the university of Rome that links landmarks in cranial radiographies and faces (of volunteer people), but it would be much better to examine actual skulls.

If i understand correctly, the link provided are photos of missing Italian men whose remains have been returned from Russia to Italy?
If so, is there a link with photos or information about the unidentified remains that have been returned, in order to be hopefully be matched up with those missing men?
Deceduti sul fronte russo - Categoria: Deceduti sul fronte russo

The photos in the link are of italian soldiers deceased in Russia: some of them are buried in Italy and other are missing. Many remains are arriving now in Italy from Kirov, for example this saturday there will be a burial of 12 deceased, but only 2 have been identified, by the metal recognition platelet. Unfortunately at present the (italian) volunteers going to Russia to dig up the bones don't use to photograph them, but I am in contact with the president of the association of the relatives of the deceased soldiers, and I hope some photos of the remains will be available in the next future.

The photos in the link are of italian soldiers deceased in Russia: some of them are buried in Italy and other are missing. Many remains are arriving now in Italy from Kirov, for example this saturday there will be a burial of 12 deceased, but only 2 have been identified, by the metal recognition platelet. Unfortunately at present the (italian) volunteers going to Russia to dig up the bones don't use to photograph them, but I am in contact with the president of the association of the relatives of the deceased soldiers, and I hope some photos of the remains will be available in the next future.
It must be a very emotional time for the families whose family members have been identified, hope they feel better knowing a loved one is home again.
Surprised that DNA is not extracted from the remains and compared to DNA from living relatives, many cases here have ultimately been solved taking that avenue.
Hope you will check out the many threads here dedicated to missing and unidentified persons, a poster here, " Romulus", also from Italy frequently contributes to those threads.
Forums here with threads that may interest you..
Missing but not forgotten Discussion

The Unidentified

Thanks dotr, I will search Romulus! The problem with DNA is the very great number of italians dead in Russia in 1941/42: the photos in the link are not the complete database: families have sent to the association more than 9000 photos, but the dead are even more. An extracted DNA should be compared with an enormous number of families in all Italy, and this task is not feasible. I think it is necessary an automated search: given a skull, one try to find a not very big number of potential sodiers (by comparison with the photos): the following step could be to distinguish among the soldiers relying to historical considerations (where the skull was found, which battalion fought there).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back