Found Deceased AL - Amberly Barnett, 11, Mt. Vernon, DeKalb County, 1 Mar 2019 #2 *ARREST*

What can we do to prevent sex crimes?Good question. I asked a homicide detective from Kansas City that question years ago. He said don't leave children alone. He also said it was the one crime, the only crime, that could never be changed. In other words, he said that if a jewel thief is close to getting caught, had a certain MO that the police were figuring out, he could switch to being a bank robber. Or a mugger, or a con artist. But the homicide detective said sex criminals are sexually oriented that way, just like we all are sexually oriented in some fashion. For example, I am now old, but when I was younger, I was oriented towards men.
I wasn't oriented towards violence. So nothing could change that. Sex is sort of hard wired. He said that's why nothing can change them.
This devil was oriented towards young girls, maybe children. Certainly not boys. And oriented towards taking them forcefully, a violent man. What can a child do to prevent that, according to the detective. Don't be alone. Is any one at fault? Yes. The predator.

A phone directory. Phone books are still printed, but not used as much with the dawn of the Internet. Personal/home phone numbers would be listed in the white pages. Businesses in the yellow pages. (White paper and yellow paper in the same book)

ETA: Oops, I meant to quote the poster asking about white pages.

Suspect charged with capital murder in strangling death of 11-year-old Amberly Barnett

"Barnett’s body was found about 200 yards behind Madison’s home early Saturday, Welden said. Barnett had been reported missing late Friday in the Mount Vernon community of DeKalb County, where she was living with her aunt on County Road 822".

Attached image shows a red line marking 200 yards behind the suspects Home.

ETA I assume this may be the reason it took all night searching to find her body. MOO
Thanks for this visual. Those woods are thicker than I realized.

I don't have much to add about this specific, horrific tragedy, (besides being grateful that an arrest was made so quickly) but seeing all the discussion of domestic violence I can add a small PSA (Public Service Announcement). More states are recognizing that DV is a warning sign for more dangerous behavior and are taking it more seriously, especially DV involving attempted strangulation. Many state laws have been passed to restrict gun ownership if you have been charged with DV and also to ensure harsher penalties if choking/strangling was involved.

The reasons women stay with abusers are myriad and complex and it really helps no one to say "she should have left". Many women are told over and over by an abuser that they are worthless and they believe it. IMO, the best we can do is have laws that reflect the evidence and recognize warning signs to prevent innocent children from losing their lives or childhoods at the hands of abusers.

Here is an article talking more about activists working to get the laws changed to fit the latest research - some stats about choking are in the first article:

Strangulation and Domestic Violence Murders

Pass the strangulation law

What can we do to prevent sex crimes?Good question. I asked a homicide detective from Kansas City that question years ago. He said don't leave children alone. He also said it was the one crime, the only crime, that could never be changed. In other words, he said that if a jewel thief is close to getting caught, had a certain MO that the police were figuring out, he could switch to being a bank robber. Or a mugger, or a con artist. But the homicide detective said sex criminals are sexually oriented that way, just like we all are sexually oriented in some fashion. For example, I am now old, but when I was younger, I was oriented towards men.
I wasn't oriented towards violence. So nothing could change that. Sex is sort of hard wired. He said that's why nothing can change them.
This devil was oriented towards young girls, maybe children. Certainly not boys. And oriented towards taking them forcefully, a violent man. What can a child do to prevent that, according to the detective. Don't be alone. Is any one at fault? Yes. The predator.

Thank you for this great post.
MOO

I don't care what photo's there are, that is not why he killed her. I have told my girls for years that you need to be careful what you wear because there are sicko's out there. I was wrong. By telling them that, I put the blame on them. I won't go into detail but I realized I had been sending the wrong message. It was never about them. It is and will always be about the pervert being evil sick human beings.

Well said. This reminded me of a quote from the DA in Jassy’s case

“Let’s not fall into a discussion about whether we should walk home alone or how many people we should call when we are leaving the club.

If anything, let’s remind the men in our lives that violence against women isn’t a women’s issue.

It’s a problem that men take responsibility for in their lives and their son’s lives and in their social lives with friends and colleagues.”

He was arrested for meth possession though, right? Couldn't use of that drug alone explain a violent attack?

I mean, we're all talking about child rapists and various terrible things he may well be, but couldn't be also have just been strung out of his mind? I'm thinking of other violent crimes committed by people on various substances. I'm not an expert on meth by any means, so just asking if this is possible?

He was arrested for meth possession though, right? Couldn't use of that drug alone explain a violent attack?

I mean, we're all talking about child rapists and various terrible things he may well be, but couldn't be also have just been strung out of his mind? I'm thinking of other violent crimes committed by people on various substances. I'm not an expert on meth by any means, so just asking if this is possible?
All I've seen is "controlled substance". Which around here isnt meth. I could have missed something.

Well said. This reminded me of a quote from the DA in Jassy’s case

“Let’s not fall into a discussion about whether we should walk home alone or how many people we should call when we are leaving the club.

If anything, let’s remind the men in our lives that violence against women isn’t a women’s issue.

It’s a problem that men take responsibility for in their lives and their son’s lives and in their social lives with friends and colleagues.”

True! But how serial killers or sexual predators if you ask them to please be nice will immediately change course? Girls should never live in terror that an outfit will get them murdered, ever! But we also want to be as wise as a serpent....don't supply amazing opportunity for crime...crime needs a motivation and an opportunity. ..My daughter's lovely. I only asked her to have a buddy if she went out drinking so she didn't go forth alone and disoriented,possibly smashed, at two am, in her disco clothes. Victim shaming is wrong. But of all people, we on this site, should know there are evil predators. Not giving them amazing opportunity is wise, not the same as victim shaming. And I am a "victim". I did the counseling, I get it. But we don't want to be naive about how these people operate, or think if just educate them, all these girls would have been safe. It is not, I repeat, the girls' fault, even one percent.

Last edited:
True! But how serial killers or sexual predators if you ask them to please be nice will immediately change course? Girls should never live in terror that an outfit will get them murdered, ever! But we also want to be as wise as a serpent....don't supply amazing opportunity for crime.....my daughter's lovely. I only asked her to have a buddy if she went out drinking so she didn't go forth alone and disoriented,possibly smashed, at two am, in her disco clothes.

Oh 100% I agree, a serial predator isn’t going to be like “you know what, you’re correct. This is wrong I should stop”.

I was more referencing to the thinking that she shouldn’t have been dressing “provocatively” or wearing makeup or whatever. I think our responsibility as women is to take care of ourselves because this is the reality of the world that we live in... but beyond that responsibility, violence against women is not ever a woman’s fault.

This (phones/electronics/etc) doesn’t apply to Amberly’s case. Many have their opinions on children using the internet but unless you are raising kids of this current generation you wouldn’t know what is typical, and shouldn’t place judgement. So many comments about her posts with makeup etc, IMO Amberly nor her mother posted anything inappropriate as far as I’ve seen. Just feel they should be defended. Amberly is strikingly beautiful and that is not her fault.
I just have to jump in here. I have an 11 year old. Please STOP with the comments about her appearance. If you look at most of the photos, she looks like a typical adorable sweet 11 year old. Makeup? She is in a dress. Could be a daddy dance, could be a dance recital, could be a play. Who cares! This isn’t the point. She was loved and didn’t ask for this. Instagram or no instagram. No victim blaming especially with an 11 year old!!!! I don’t care how old she looked. ☹️ IMO respectfully. And I’m not responding to this post, I’m adding to it! 100% agree.

That is a good question. This recent article says there is more violence related to meth then herion.

Police fear growing violence as heroin users switch to meth

As with many drugs, there is that threat of violence but authorities say it increases even more with meth -- a stimulant that can cause erratic behavior.

"Meth and the need to get meth really clouds judgment of people," Allen said.

But why so much meth now?

We've reported on what investigators have called an odd trend of users suddenly switching from heroin -- a depressant -- to meth -- a stimulant with a completely different kind of high.

Investigators say it's not driven by money. They now understand heroin users are afraid of accidentally overdosing on the more potent fentanyl, which might be mixed with heroin, or are actually trying to withdraw from opioids but don't know how and turning to meth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back