GUILTY IN - Emma McAfee, 2 mos, (mom Rachel found alive), Indianapolis, 4 Mar 2019 *mother arrested*

Perplexing why a family would decide to have another child when she is a depressed alcoholic?

Maybe they didn't really choose or decide to get pregnant. It looks like it was a big gap in ages between the oldest. No birth control other than sterilization is fool proof. It could be that they just chose not to abort after unintentionally getting pregnant.

So since this is a neglect charge, I think she got plastered drunk and passed out all day. It’s been really cold this week. Monday was in the teens (high) and sure of the windchill. No way an infant could survive that for long. Of course I’m just guessing.

I think there is some merit to her being a white, middle class (and attractive) woman. How is this any different than someone leaving a baby in a hot car? Some of those parents get arrested for murder or manslaughter.

Regardless it’s very sad. Can’t imag the agony the little baby suffered.

So since this is a neglect charge, I think she got plastered drunk and passed out all day. It’s been really cold this week. Monday was in the teens (high) and sure of the windchill. No way an infant could survive that for long. Of course I’m just guessing.

I think there is some merit to her being a white, middle class (and attractive) woman. How is this any different than someone leaving a baby in a hot car? Some of those parents get arrested for murder or manslaughter.

Regardless it’s very sad. Can’t imag the agony the little baby suffered.

I believe that this would be the equivalent of locking yourself and the baby in a hot car. That’s a situation that I haven’t come across before, and one that would seriously make me wonder about mental illness.

If she has frostbite she truly must have been out of her mind or really drunk either way it is an illness , so I will be surprised if they just lock her up.
I will say from where the vehicle was found Eskenazi is NOT the closest hospital. But is IS the only one with an adult burn unit. Cold injuries to tissue are in deed "burns" or more correctly thermal injuries. So the fact that she was kept overnight indicates to me she had some serious cold-related issues.

Cold-related injuries? Did she just park somewhere & sit there with the car turned off, waiting to freeze to death? A new baby would die from hypothermia a lot sooner than an adult. I wonder if this is what happened.
That was my thought, when I heard she was only being charged with neglect. Was she sitting in the car getting drunk, while the baby froze to death?

Mother arrested on neglect charge after death of 3-month-old infant

...”Rachel’s husband says his wife and daughter left their home on Creekstone drive on Indy’s far east side Monday morning before Rachel suddenly stopped answering her phone.”...

...”She’s drank since I’ve known her, but it’s gotten out of control the last couple of years. That’s kind of when all this started spiraling,” said John McAfee.”

Anyway, I’m local too and it’s been heavily covered. If she had left the baby I’d be crying white privilege, but she didn’t. I’m going to wait for updates before I go down roads that can’t be walked back.

And Grrr... flashbacks of Andrea Yates. The poor children trapped and let down. Because post-partum depression is not properly acknowledged and treated. (Snap out of it! :rolleyes:)
Idk, I still have unkind thoughts about players in the AY case)

I’m very local to this. Actually just looked a house down the street from where the car was found. It makes me sad if the police would’ve gone to the media Monday there is a chande they would’ve been found. It was so cold Monday that I was trying to scrape my car off and my hands literally burned after a second from the cold. I also wonder if there is a possibility she overdosed on medication or something that knocked her out?

Me too. Her husband’s affcect upsets me. Why was she alone with the baby if they knew she had a problem?
Ya it’s going to be one of those looking back in hindsight moments. Family probably didn’t understand how serious it was. Never thought she’d harm baby because she loved baby etc. I assume he never thought this could happen. She was “obviously “ ok because she was working...

If anything, maybe this will be a good PSA for postpartum depression if that’s the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back