Found Deceased IL - Brooke Naylor, 19, car found abandoned, Harrisburg, Saline County, 3 Mar 2019

The window of her car was down and it was sort of in the middle of the road. I'm guessing the puppy jumped out (perhaps she had the window down to smoke a cigarette) and she went after it. She was not dressed for the elements (sweatpants, light hoody (or jacket) and slippers). She would have succumbed to the cold pretty quickly. It's been brutally cold here in Illinois the last month. Glad they found her and praying for comfort for her loved ones. She was a beautiful girl.

In one of the early comments, there was information about being a straight A student. Some smart academics are really dumb with real life situations, but would a straight A student wearing slippers not know better than to run a couple of miles from her car in sub-zero temperatures to retrieve a dog?

If that were the case, wouldn't she text someone and say - hey, my dog just jumped out the window, need help.

Suicide by hypothermia? Who?
Hypothermia is NOT a pleasant way to die. Trust me. The snow crunches softly in your ear. In the minus-20-degree wind chill air, your core temperature falls about one degree every 40 to 50 minutes, your body heat leaching out into the soft, enveloping snow. Apathy at 91 degrees. Stupor at 90.

You’ve now crossed the boundary into profound hypothermia. By the time your core temperature has fallen to 88 degrees, your body has abandoned the urge to warm itself by shivering. Your blood is thickening like crankcase oil in a cold engine. Your oxygen consumption, a measure of your metabolic rate, has fallen by more than a quarter. Your kidneys, however, work overtime to process the fluid overload that occurred when the blood vessels in your extremities constricted and squeezed fluids toward your center. You feel a powerful urge to urinate, the only thing you feel at all.

By 87 degrees you’ve lost the ability to recognize a familiar face, should one suddenly appear.

At 86 degrees, your heart, its electrical impulses hampered by chilled nerve tissues, becomes arrhythmic. It now pumps less than two-thirds the normal amount of blood. The lack of oxygen and the slowing metabolism of your brain, meanwhile, begin to trigger visual and auditory hallucinations.

You hear something - the sound of a car, a voice? But it's just a hallucination.

Attempting to stand, you collapse.

Hours later, or maybe it’s minutes, you realize there is no shelter, no home, no car nearby. You’ve crawled only a few feet. The light on your wristwatch pulses in the darkness. Exhausted, you decide to rest your head for a moment.

When you lift it again, you’re inside, lying on the floor before the woodstove. The fire throws off a red glow. First, it’s warm; then it’s hot; then it’s searing your flesh. Your clothing has caught fire.

At 85 degrees, those freezing to death, in a strange, anguished paroxysm, often rip off their clothes. This phenomenon, known as paradoxical undressing, is common enough that urban hypothermia victims are sometimes initially diagnosed as victims of sexual assault. Though researchers are uncertain of the cause, the most logical explanation is that shortly before the loss of consciousness, the constricted blood vessels near the body’s surface suddenly dilate and produce a sensation of extreme heat against the skin.

All you know is that you’re burning. You claw off your hoodie or coat and shirt and fling them away.

But then, in a final moment of clarity, you realize there’s no stove, no home, no rescuers. You’re lying alone in the bitter cold, naked from the waist up. You grasp your terrible misunderstanding, a whole series of misunderstandings, like a dream ratcheting into wrongness. You’ve shed your clothes, your car.

And you’ve now ventured way beyond it.

No, it's not a good way to die, and I shed tears at the news of Brooke's death. I've seen too many like it out in the field.

Last edited:
In one of the early comments, there was information about being a straight A student. Some smart academics are really dumb with real life situations, but would a straight A student wearing slippers not know better than to run a couple of miles from her car in sub-zero temperatures to retrieve a dog?

If that were the case, wouldn't she text someone and say - hey, my dog just jumped out the window, need help.

I used to think I’d never do something like that, until I got my first dog. She got away from me outside and I swear, I lost my mind. I was screaming like a banshee out in my yard in the freezing cold. Crying, snot running, insane. My neighbor got me calmed down and indoors, thankfully. I again stayed outside in icy weather convinced my neighbor’s cat was outside and just needed to be found. My husband and I found him dead when we’d gotten home late that night. My mind refused to believe it was him. I’d gotten so cold, but I knew just a few more mins & I’d see him come running home. My husband had to practically pick me up and force me inside. I’m an educated intelligent person. Yet, I completely lose all common sense when it comes to pets. I would definitely have ran after my dog underdressed. Idk if that’s what Brooke did, but I can attest that I could see myself losing my common sense in a similar situation. She may have realized it, but it was too long outside and just far enough from her car to not make it back. Maybe we’ll never know. Bless her....I hope she was able to see her puppy there with her at the end. I feel so bad for her friends and family.
All JMO.

Hypothermia is NOT a pleasant way to die. Trust me. The snow crunches softly in your ear. In the minus-20-degree wind chill air, your core temperature falls about one degree every 40 to 50 minutes, your body heat leaching out into the soft, enveloping snow. Apathy at 91 degrees. Stupor at 90.

You’ve now crossed the boundary into profound hypothermia. By the time your core temperature has fallen to 88 degrees, your body has abandoned the urge to warm itself by shivering. Your blood is thickening like crankcase oil in a cold engine. Your oxygen consumption, a measure of your metabolic rate, has fallen by more than a quarter. Your kidneys, however, work overtime to process the fluid overload that occurred when the blood vessels in your extremities constricted and squeezed fluids toward your center. You feel a powerful urge to urinate, the only thing you feel at all.

By 87 degrees you’ve lost the ability to recognize a familiar face, should one suddenly appear.

At 86 degrees, your heart, its electrical impulses hampered by chilled nerve tissues, becomes arrhythmic. It now pumps less than two-thirds the normal amount of blood. The lack of oxygen and the slowing metabolism of your brain, meanwhile, begin to trigger visual and auditory hallucinations.

You hear something - the sound of a car, a voice? But it's just a hallucination.

Attempting to stand, you collapse.

Hours later, or maybe it’s minutes, you realize there is no shelter, no home, no car nearby. You’ve crawled only a few feet. The light on your wristwatch pulses in the darkness. Exhausted, you decide to rest your head for a moment.

When you lift it again, you’re inside, lying on the floor before the woodstove. The fire throws off a red glow. First, it’s warm; then it’s hot; then it’s searing your flesh. Your clothing has caught fire.

At 85 degrees, those freezing to death, in a strange, anguished paroxysm, often rip off their clothes. This phenomenon, known as paradoxical undressing, is common enough that urban hypothermia victims are sometimes initially diagnosed as victims of sexual assault. Though researchers are uncertain of the cause, the most logical explanation is that shortly before the loss of consciousness, the constricted blood vessels near the body’s surface suddenly dilate and produce a sensation of extreme heat against the skin.

All you know is that you’re burning. You claw off your hoodie or coat and shirt and fling them away.

But then, in a final moment of clarity, you realize there’s no stove, no home, no rescuers. You’re lying alone in the bitter cold, naked from the waist up. You grasp your terrible misunderstanding, a whole series of misunderstandings, like a dream ratcheting into wrongness. You’ve shed your clothes, your car.

And you’ve now ventured way beyond it.

No, it's not a good way to die, and I shed tears at the news of Brooke's death. I've seen too many like it out in the field.

Did you write this?

Honestly, when I was suicidal and thinking of this, all I knew about it was "you're cold for a bit and then you just feel warm and then you die." It seemed fairly peaceful to me, especially if I took a sleeping bag and just fell asleep in the snow.

Huh. I’m having a hard time coming up with anything that makes sense here. Was there a blizzard at that time? If her dog somehow ran off (which I do not see a puppy jumping out the window of a moving car & if it was THAT freezing outside I can’t see anyone having the window down anyway—maybe barely cracked to smoke.) would she really get 1 1/2 miles away from the car & not be able to get back?
Death by hypothermia as described by GraceG seems to happen over hours and hours. Why wouldn’t she be able to get back before confusion and hallucinations start? Why would she be so lost? It just doesn’t seem likely to me. But neither does suicide. Why let the dog out of the car then? So so strange. The toxicology results could be enlightening. This is such a sad story.

Huh. I’m having a hard time coming up with anything that makes sense here. Was there a blizzard at that time? If her dog somehow ran off (which I do not see a puppy jumping out the window of a moving car & if it was THAT freezing outside I can’t see anyone having the window down anyway—maybe barely cracked to smoke.) would she really get 1 1/2 miles away from the car & not be able to get back?

Death by hypothermia as described by GraceG seems to happen over hours and hours. Why wouldn’t she be able to get back before confusion and hallucinations start? Why would she be so lost? It just doesn’t seem likely to me. But neither does suicide. Why let the dog out of the car then? So so strange. The toxicology results could be enlightening. This is such a sad story.

Let's go back to what we know, and please feel free, everyone, to make updates and corrections. We know that:
  • Her car was parked on a road, abandoned (location)
  • One window was partially down
  • She and her puppy were not with the car
  • The temperature was ???
  • She was wearing slippers and ???
  • She and her puppy were found approx 1.5 miles away (location)
  • It appears that she suffered hypothermia

What time did she last see her boyfriend?
How long would it take for her to die from hypothermia that night wearing slippers?

I copied this from an earlier post. Do we have more specific info about the car and her body? The marker is the car.

upload_2019-3-9_21-16-29.png

What a sad case. How did the puppy, just a baby himself, not die of hypothermia? (Thankfully) I would think a puppy would be more susceptible to the cold than a fully grown dog bc of his age, no?

True. In colder climates, newborn puppies die without the warmth of the mother. After 8 weeks, most puppies can live independent of mother, 12 weeks they will do better. Could the puppy curl up with Brooke, out of the wind, and stay warm enough? In the meantime Brooke died and the puppy didn't.

Do we know how old the puppy is?

The real question is how believable it is that she was voluntarily in the middle of no where, too far from her car, in her slippers and in freezing temperatures. It's not believable without introducing some other factor. Other factors might be drugs, someone pulled up beside her car and scared her out of her wits so she grabbed the puppy and ran into the field in the hopes of finding a safe place then died of hypothermia, self harm - but what about the puppy ... other thoughts?

For me, the bottom line is that she would have to be nuts to deliberately put herself in that position, and by all accounts she was a bright and promising young woman who was taking a break from her studies. It doesn't add up yet.

Even if she was a bright young woman who was off the rails, how far off the rails would she have to be to make a mistake like wandering into a cold night and dying of hypothermia?

If she was taking a gap year or taking a break from studies, she must have been a post-secondary student in 2018-2019 but not in 2019-2020.

If she was 19 years old when she died, then she was 18 years old in April 2018 and finishing high school. Did she start school at the age of 5, was she accelerated? How could she be taking a break from post-secondary studies if this is her first year? When did she quit? After a couple of months? If so, why?

Let's go back to what we know, and please feel free, everyone, to make updates and corrections. We know that:
  • Her car was parked on a road, abandoned (location)
  • One window was partially down
  • She and her puppy were not with the car
  • The temperature was ???
  • She was wearing slippers and ???
  • She and her puppy were found approx 1.5 miles away (location)
  • It appears that she suffered hypothermia

What time did she last see her boyfriend?
How long would it take for her to die from hypothermia that night wearing slippers?

I copied this from an earlier post. Do we have more specific info about the car and her body? The marker is the car.

View attachment 173429

BBM: No the marker on that map is the road her body was found just south of.

Is the location of the car on either of these maps? If that is where her body was found, it seems awfully close to the road. Where was her car?

What does it look like zoomed- in at both locations.

upload_2019-3-10_3-1-15.png

upload_2019-3-10_3-2-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-10_1-57-31.png
    upload_2019-3-10_1-57-31.png
    949.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thank you. North or South, the big picture. Where was the car, where was the body?

View attachment 173465

View attachment 173467

View attachment 173468

Both roads are parallel to one another. The car was found on the north one, body south of the south one.
The 1st photo with the words on it shows the the road to the north (car found)
the last picture the road would be right where the pic cuts off all the way acrossed the top.

All pictures have the red marker on Pot Hole Lane which is where the body was found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back