Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did ask if sh could lt me know anything. She said she could ask the lead detective and see if NYS could possibly contact me with info.
I have one more idea up my sleeve. Someone I know is a friend with the owners of Horlers Deli. I think I’m going to ask him to see if they have ANY kind of records on camping passes. The guy I know if a former NYS trooper, they know him, maybe, just maybe there is something the deli can tell us. I guess it’s worth a try. Fingers crossed!

Hi Everyone, I'm new here, and it has taken me several days to read through all 65 pages of this thread. I'm mystified and enthralled. In addition to those feelings, I'm also overwhelmed by the commitment, generosity, and camaraderie on WS - and very eager to contribute in whatever way I can.

My thoughts so far:
  • Terminal illness. I'm not sold on it. As others have said, I think a life event took place - a relationship ending, death of a loved one, disillusionment in the workplace, etc. An AT through-hiker loses 30lbs, on average, so citing the photos where he has lost weight and has dark circles under his eyes could just as easily (and perhaps, more likely) be indicative of living on the trail for over a year, rather than a terminal illness.
    • HOWEVER. I have also been curious if there was some sort of illness or disease, if it could have been related to his eyesight.
  • Hiking experience. I agree with all who have suggested he was inexperienced based on the evidence and comments from hikers he met, and that this man is not going to turn out to be an avid hiker prior to this. It sounds, based on the information available, as though an event prompted him to go for the initial two week hike in June, when he allegedly received his initial trail name, Denim. Perhaps that two week hike is what incited his decision to through hike the AT.
  • Hiking experience leading to his predicament in FL.. Well. I'm not a hardcore hiker, but I did grow up spending my summers camping in the Adirondacks - about 45-min from Montreal. This, to me, is wilderness. Everything I have read about the AT suggests that it is a very different experience. I am in no way attempting to cheapen the AT, all I am suggesting is that the AT did not prepare him for what the trails beyond it would be like. When there is a road crossing, on average, every four miles on the AT.. well, that is very different from what I grew up with in the ADKs.
  • First-hand hiker accounts. I'm having difficulty weighting information provided by hikers he encountered, and I'm thinking of compiling a spreadsheet of comments/observations by source and date. It would be enlightening (IMO) to quantify observations (how many people said he referenced being sick, having an ex, an abusive father, and when, etc.) to better estimate their validity. Information provided by Obsidian and echoed by three others, for example, I would feel comfortable weighting heavily. Either as fact, or as a potential well-rehearsed cover-story, if he went that far to conceal his identity.
  • Unaccounted time in (presumably) FL. Where the heck was he for all that time nobody seems to have encountered him leading up to his death? For much of his journey since he hit the AT, he encountered people at least once a month. Was he really alone, or did he leave the trail, and that's why no hikers saw him? I will echo what some FL hikers have said, as someone who lived there - almost no FL natives are outside for significant periods of time during the summer. If he did have a sister in FL, and was with her before setting back out, perhaps this is why alarm bells were not going off for friends/family.
  • Storage of belongings prior to leaving. Is it possible he only left a few small things with a friend, and did not actually purchase a storage container?
  • Alleged work history as a programmer. Would it be possible to search cached versions of job openings for programmers and/or developers in NY around the time he took his initial two-week June hike? I'm planning to look into this further unless someone already knows. If we could find job postings that line up with around the time he may have quit.. that could be quite the lead. I'm almost more inclined to invest time searching for previous employment, since it does not appear he kept in close contact with friends and/or family.
  • Gaming/hand-written code in notebooks. I work in IT at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Is there anything I can do to leverage this? It would be incredibly helpful to know the programming language to narrow down job possibilities.
  • Timeline with photos. I'm happy to use the amazing timeline generated by Gardener1850 to plot his apparent trek with photos of him, unless someone else already completed this.
My head is spinning with so many thoughts on this fellow, but I think I should cut myself off here, for now.

• Storage of belongings prior to leaving. Is it possible he only left a few small things with a friend, and did not actually purchase a storage container?
  • Alleged work history as a programmer. Would it be possible to search cached versions of job openings for programmers and/or developers in NY around the time he took his initial two-week June hike? I'm planning to look into this further unless someone already knows. If we could find job postings that line up with around the time he may have quit.. that could be quite the lead. I'm almost more inclined to invest time searching for previous employment, since it does not appear he kept in close contact with friends and/or family.
  • Gaming/hand-written code in notebooks. I work in IT at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Is there anything I can do to leverage this? It would be incredibly helpful to know the programming language to narrow down job possibilities.
  • Timeline with photos. I'm happy to use the amazing timeline generated by Gardener1850 to plot his apparent trek with photos of him, unless someone else already completed this.
My head is spinning with so many thoughts on this fellow, but I think I should cut myself off here, for now.

Wow! Thank you for all of this!

I thought about searching programming jobs in NYC, but it seemed like a huge task for the limited time I have. If you're up to the task, that would be incredible! Same for the timeline of photos, in my opinion.

Has anyone else thought about sending out a flyer to IT jobs around NYC asking "Did this man work for you?" or something of that sort?

I agree with the potential storage situation. He may not have owned much to begin with. For all we know, he was a minimalist.

I hope someone can answer your question about helping with identifying code!

Welcome Amy!! I believe all we know about MH’s work history is he said he was in the tech field. I don’t think we’ve heard anything more specific. I wish I had asked about the programming language in the notebooks.

ETA: how would we even go about touching base with companies he could have worked for? “Tech field” could cover so many things at so many tech and non tech companies.

I thought about searching programming jobs in NYC, but it seemed like a huge task for the limited time I have. If you're up to the task, that would be incredible! Same for the timeline of photos, in my opinion.

I'm up for it, 100%!

Has anyone else thought about sending out a flyer to IT jobs around NYC asking "Did this man work for you?" or something of that sort?

I'll try to start rounding up some potential mechanisms to support this!

Welcome Amy!! I believe all we know about MH’s work history is he said he was in the tech field. I don’t think we’ve heard anything more specific. I wish I had bought to ask about the programming language in the notebooks.

Thanks SugarQueen (love your avatar, BTW)! That's an excellent point that he may have only said he was in the tech field. I had read others using the titles programmer and developer in various places, but I remember the Mountain Crossings post only alluded to "working in tech in NYC for the last decade" (or something very close to that).

It would be so incredibly helpful to know the programming language to narrow down if he was likely working with databases, network infrastructure, web development, etc. My network engineers use very different code than my developers, for example. It sure is frustrating to not have information LE can answer, especially when they've reached out to the public for assistance with an ID. I wonder if they would share this information.

I'm up for it, 100%!

I'll try to start rounding up some potential mechanisms to support this!

Thanks SugarQueen (love your avatar, BTW)! That's an excellent point that he may have only said he was in the tech field. I had read others using the titles programmer and developer in various places, but I remember the Mountain Crossings post only alluded to "working in tech in NYC for the last decade" (or something very close to that).

It would be so incredibly helpful to know the programming language to narrow down if he was likely working with databases, network infrastructure, web development, etc. My network engineers use very different code than my developers, for example. It sure is frustrating to not have information LE can answer, especially when they've reached out to the public for assistance with an ID. I wonder if they would share this information.
You have some great ideas! I saw a post from hikers who encountered him. They apparently consulted the notes they took in their hiking diary and they had written that MH was a computer programmer. I tried looking at job postings from around that time in NYC for programmers but the task is daunting, to put it mildly. If you have any connections you can use to spread the word through the programming and tech community, that would be so helpful.

IIRC, the code he had written was for some type of video game. I think someone here posted that it was for character movement.

Amy you could try emailing the detective and asking about the language. I believe Detective O’neil Is the lead detective. If anyone is going to tell you it would probably be him.
@Gardener1850 ....can you post the UID poster with the detective’s contact info? My iPad is not cooperating. Thanks

Might also be worth looking at tech companies that had large layoffs or went bankrupt in that time frame. I have often wondered if going through a divorce (as he told some people) on top of health issues and losing his job might have been the combination that sent him to the wilderness.

I wonder if Facebook’s facial recognition could be used to find photos of MH that may not have been publicly posted yet and which may provide further clues as to his identity. I’m not sure what the precedent is for it, but this seems an unusual case since it has an unidentified deceased person in that there are so many fairly recent pictures of him alive.

I wonder if Facebook’s facial recognition could be used to find photos of MH that may not have been publicly posted yet and which may provide further clues as to his identity. I’m not sure what the precedent is for it, but this seems an unusual case since it has an unidentified deceased person in that there are so many fairly recent pictures of him alive.

I was thinking of this, too. I had something pretty wild happen with FB facial recognition. After finding my biological family and becoming FB friends, FB asked if I wanted to tag my newly found 1C.. as me in one of my own photos. So, even if MH scrubbed his SM presence, it's possible he could still match a close relative.

Amy you could try emailing the detective and asking about the language. I believe Detective O’neil Is the lead detective. If anyone is going to tell you it would probably be him.
@Gardener1850 ....can you post the UID poster with the detective’s contact info? My iPad is not cooperating. Thanks

39083377_1901685899891183_7832712234009624576_n.jpg

Collier County Sheriff's Office

http://brooklyntechtriangle.com/about/

This is interesting. I know LE had mentioned some potential credence in the Brooklyn statements. Perhaps this organization would be a good way to identify tech companies, and even reach out to them.

Brooklyn Tech Triangle Map

If you un-check the green and yellow boxes, you are left with an interactive map of Brooklyn tech companies (blue).

Hi Everyone, I'm new here, and it has taken me several days to read through all 65 pages of this thread. I'm mystified and enthralled. In addition to those feelings, I'm also overwhelmed by the commitment, generosity, and camaraderie on WS - and very eager to contribute in whatever way I can.

My thoughts so far:
  • Terminal illness. I'm not sold on it. As others have said, I think a life event took place - a relationship ending, death of a loved one, disillusionment in the workplace, etc. An AT through-hiker loses 30lbs, on average, so citing the photos where he has lost weight and has dark circles under his eyes could just as easily (and perhaps, more likely) be indicative of living on the trail for over a year, rather than a terminal illness.
    • HOWEVER. I have also been curious if there was some sort of illness or disease, if it could have been related to his eyesight.
  • Hiking experience. I agree with all who have suggested he was inexperienced based on the evidence and comments from hikers he met, and that this man is not going to turn out to be an avid hiker prior to this. It sounds, based on the information available, as though an event prompted him to go for the initial two week hike in June, when he allegedly received his initial trail name, Denim. Perhaps that two week hike is what incited his decision to through hike the AT.
  • Hiking experience leading to his predicament in FL.. Well. I'm not a hardcore hiker, but I did grow up spending my summers camping in the Adirondacks - about 45-min from Montreal. This, to me, is wilderness. Everything I have read about the AT suggests that it is a very different experience. I am in no way attempting to cheapen the AT, all I am suggesting is that the AT did not prepare him for what the trails beyond it would be like. When there is a road crossing, on average, every four miles on the AT.. well, that is very different from what I grew up with in the ADKs.
  • First-hand hiker accounts. I'm having difficulty weighting information provided by hikers he encountered, and I'm thinking of compiling a spreadsheet of comments/observations by source and date. It would be enlightening (IMO) to quantify observations (how many people said he referenced being sick, having an ex, an abusive father, and when, etc.) to better estimate their validity. Information provided by Obsidian and echoed by three others, for example, I would feel comfortable weighting heavily. Either as fact, or as a potential well-rehearsed cover-story, if he went that far to conceal his identity.
  • Unaccounted time in (presumably) FL. Where the heck was he for all that time nobody seems to have encountered him leading up to his death? For much of his journey since he hit the AT, he encountered people at least once a month. Was he really alone, or did he leave the trail, and that's why no hikers saw him? I will echo what some FL hikers have said, as someone who lived there - almost no FL natives are outside for significant periods of time during the summer. If he did have a sister in FL, and was with her before setting back out, perhaps this is why alarm bells were not going off for friends/family.

Welcome Amytothekate! I think of all the items suggested the MOST helpful thing you can do is email the flyer with LE contact info around to your coworkers and any IT/tech contacts you know at other companies and ask them to pass it on. You could add in the email that he was writing code for a computer game when he died. But we don't know if he was a programmer or game code writer in his career-- that could have been a hobby he had. He told people he worked in either the "tech industry" or IT depending on who you ask. He was never very specific. But if he was really in any kind of tech field in New York then someone knows him and will recognize him eventually. We need to get his pictures seen by as many people as possible. Thanks for your offer of help!

http://brooklyntechtriangle.com/about/

This is interesting. I know LE had mentioned some potential credence in the Brooklyn statements. Perhaps this organization would be a good way to identify tech companies, and even reach out to them.

Brooklyn Tech Triangle Map

If you un-check the green and yellow boxes, you are left with an interactive map of Brooklyn tech companies (blue).

Interesting map. I'm not sure if there is an easy list of contacts there but a great project would be to email the flyer to each of those companies and ask them to share with their employees-- especially be sure to mention that he claimed to have worked in Brooklyn in the tech field.

OMG. I LOVE YOU GUYS!

I found AmytotheKate at the WS Freshman Mixer. I KNEW she'd be great here!!

Thank you so much for coming over here, AmytotheKate!

So glad you are up and running again SugarQueen!

My heart just hit the ceiling.

Last edited:
Welcome Amytothekate! I think of all the items suggested the MOST helpful thing you can do is email the flyer with LE contact info around to your coworkers and any IT/tech contacts you know at other companies and ask them to pass it on. You could add in the email that he was writing code for a computer game when he died. But we don't know if he was a programmer or game code writer in his career-- that could have been a hobby he had. He told people he worked in either the "tech industry" or IT depending on who you ask. He was never very specific. But if he was really in any kind of tech field in New York then someone knows him and will recognize him eventually. We need to get his pictures seen by as many people as possible. Thanks for your offer of help!

Thanks Gardener1850. I have been so impressed; truly in awe of your work. Hat's off to you!

At RIT, in IT, we use Slack messenger, and have a "general" channel that is widely read, and a free-for-all in terms of subject matter. I will post the UID poster there, and add the info about code regarding gaming found in his notebook. We also have an enterprise-wide message-center - I'm going to check to see if I can share the information there, as well.

I completely agree that this gaming code may be entirely related to a hobby and not pertaining to his actual work. I do think it is likely his work involved some coding language, though.

Thanks Gardener1850. I have been so impressed; truly in awe of your work. Hat's off to you!

At RIT, in IT, we use Slack messenger, and have a "general" channel that is widely read, and a free-for-all in terms of subject matter. I will post the UID poster there, and add the info about code regarding gaming found in his notebook. We also have an enterprise-wide message-center - I'm going to check to see if I can share the information there, as well.

I completely agree that this gaming code may be entirely related to a hobby and not pertaining to his actual work. I do think it is likely his work involved some coding language, though.

Slack is an awesome idea! I have a bunch of friends in IT and I know they all belong to a bunch of various slack teams, some are local for here in VT, but I know they belong to New England and National teams as well. So I will have them share some info and flyers.

I belong to some slack teams with a specific political focus, but there are lots of IT workers on them and these are people who live to help (also a lot of hikers) so I am going to share the flyer as well.

State and federal buildings/offices have enormous IT/tech teams. Database mgrs, report developers, programmers, analysts etc. Many non IT/tech offices also have a small team of IT people. These usually tend to be stable jobs but entry level has a high turn over so sometimes fairly easy to slide into. I have no knowledge of how state govt runs in NY but I think it’s another possibility. Sorry to add more to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member