Kadie and River Major - murder or suicide?

Was Kadie murdered?

• Yes

Votes: 58 90.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters

cocomod

Reaction score
Fatal Crossing: Case reopened into mysterious deaths of S.C. woman Kadie Major and infant daughter after "48 Hours" investigation - CBS News

In 2015, a team of "48 Hours" producers were filming in Charleston, South Carolina, on another case when they met a mother who told them a story they couldn't stop thinking about — a mystery that has haunted the small town of Moncks Corner since 2008.

Kadie Major, who was married, was found dead alongside a section of railroad tracks. Her little daughter was found drowned in a pond 100 feet away. Back in 2008, Rick Ollic, then with the Berkeley County Sheriff's Office, was in charge of the investigation. Ollic believed it was a murder-suicide and says a note found in Kadie's pocket was a piece of compelling evidence showing that she was delusional at the time.

Kadie's family never believed she was delusional or that she would take her own life.

Her mother, Vicky Hall, vowed to get to the bottom of what happened and pressured investigators to the point where she says they "absolutely avoided me."

Hall embarked on her own investigation — determined to show her daughter did not throw herself in front of a train.

"I remember, I was just walking outside by myself, and I just looked up and I said, 'Kadie and River, I promise you I will do whatever it takes to find the truth,'" Hall tells correspondent Peter Van Sant.

Over the next several years Hall and "48 Hours" stayed in touch and started investigating the mysterious circumstances surrounding the two deaths -- which ultimately led to the reopening of a closed case.

A decade after her daughter's death, Hall finally got her chance to talk with detectives about her case and "48 Hours" was there.

Fatal Crossing: Case reopened into mysterious deaths of S.C. woman Kadie Major and infant daughter after "48 Hours" investigation - CBS News

In 2015, a team of "48 Hours" producers were filming in Charleston, South Carolina, on another case when they met a mother who told them a story they couldn't stop thinking about — a mystery that has haunted the small town of Moncks Corner since 2008.

Kadie Major, who was married, was found dead alongside a section of railroad tracks. Her little daughter was found drowned in a pond 100 feet away. Back in 2008, Rick Ollic, then with the Berkeley County Sheriff's Office, was in charge of the investigation. Ollic believed it was a murder-suicide and says a note found in Kadie's pocket was a piece of compelling evidence showing that she was delusional at the time.

Kadie's family never believed she was delusional or that she would take her own life.

Her mother, Vicky Hall, vowed to get to the bottom of what happened and pressured investigators to the point where she says they "absolutely avoided me."

Hall embarked on her own investigation — determined to show her daughter did not throw herself in front of a train.

"I remember, I was just walking outside by myself, and I just looked up and I said, 'Kadie and River, I promise you I will do whatever it takes to find the truth,'" Hall tells correspondent Peter Van Sant.

Over the next several years Hall and "48 Hours" stayed in touch and started investigating the mysterious circumstances surrounding the two deaths -- which ultimately led to the reopening of a closed case.

A decade after her daughter's death, Hall finally got her chance to talk with detectives about her case and "48 Hours" was there.

Aaron Major smells to high heavens, imo.

Her truck parked more than half a mile away.
His broken hand, unquestioned at the time of her death.
His varying stories.
His not looking for her.
HIS WANTING TO BLOCK HER OWN FAMLY FROM HER FUNERAL.
Refusal to talk with LE.
Sloppy, worse then 'dropped ball' investigation.
SB, not NB train.
Conclusion within 2 days but no interview with her family or her gyno re depression.

His blank look and dark eyes reminded me of Patrick Frazee.

He wanted the 5 month old fetus displayed in Kadie's open coffin. Sick.

I only hope that they can somehow find enough evidence to arrest him, though I doubt that is possible now.

Rest in heaven Kadie, River and Aadon.

I caught the show also, so very glad Kadie's Mom was finally heard.

That former chief of police who was interviewed was shady as hell!! I expected to hear there was some corruption, or that the husband's family was politically connected, but that was never mentioned. Hard to believe a case was investigated so poorly. Laziness on the part of LE or something deeper at play?

I became extremely interested in this case because I remember when it first happened. I was so sad that she was despondent enough to throw her child in the river.

(2008)
Authorities: Woman killed by train was 4 months pregnant

View Kadie Major's Obituary on PostandCourier.com and share memories

(2018)
Kadie and River Major’s death case reopened, task force formed to investigate

Investigation into 2008 deaths of Moncks Corner mother, daughter reopened

Berkeley County Deputies Reopen 2008 Case involving Death of Pregnant Woman and Young Daughter

It stinks of incompetence at the least and corruption at the worst. Thank goodness her family never gave up! How different would it have been if they had actually gathered evidence from her home and from his body when she was found? Shouldn't there be skepticism in the beginning just to verify an account?

It feels like justice will never be delivered because the stupid way the case was not investigated from the start.I can't believe they never even spoke to her family or doctor.

The fact that Kadie wasn't wearing her wedding ring and had $1000 in the truck seems, as the show suggested, that she was leaving her husband. But why?

She had the first sonogram the day before. Was Aaron pressuring her to get an abortion? If so, would she have left him so quickly?

Or did Aaron have a girlfriend (a la Scott Peterson and Christopher Coleman among all too many others). I'm thinking this is more likely because, IMO, this would have been likely to cause Kadie to leave immediately.

The other question to ask is, why kill his infant son, River? If a fight had erupted over either an abortion or girlfriend, and Kadie had been killed in a fit of rage, Aaron could have staged Kadie's death exactly as he did without killing his 9-mo-old son. His story would remain the same except for saying Kadie left without the baby. If he got rid of his entire family - wife, son, and unborn child - because he had hopes of a relationship with someone else, it's likely that someone else might know something.

Regarding Aaron's grossly swollen hand the night Kadie went missing (the mom and sister say that), that seems to be devalued because of Aaron's punching a wall at the funeral home. Aren't there any photos/videos of Aaron before he punched the wall.

What a shoddy first investigation. Not only that, but to not respond to any of the mother's emails and to paint her as a lunatic to fellow officers is unconscionable.

It seems like this case as much circumstantial evidence as many cases that go forward. I hope at some point, even if no further evidence turns up, that a murder charge against Aaron. I don't know if the mother would have standing, but another option would be for the mother to file a wrongful death civil suit against Aaron. There have been cases were evidence was uncovered in the civil suit from subpeonaed witnesses that was used to shore up the criminal case.

<snipped>

The other question to ask is, why kill his infant son, River? If a fight had erupted over either an abortion or girlfriend, and Kadie had been killed in a fit of rage, Aaron could have staged Kadie's death exactly as he did without killing his 9-mo-old son. His story would remain the same except for saying Kadie left without the baby. If he got rid of his entire family - wife, son, and unborn child - because he had hopes of a relationship with someone else, it's likely that someone else might know something.
<snipped>

Just a correction - the precious baby who was murdered, River, was Kadie and Aaron’s DAUGHTER. Kadie was pregnant with a son whom she had already named Aadon, when she died. Such a sad sad sad case.

Here were a few things that really struck me while watching the 48 hours episode...

1. Aaron said when they arrived home, Kadie was holding baby River and she became paranoid and hysterical. He said she was shaking and trembling and refused to even enter the house because she was paranoid that someone was going to kill her and she said she had a premonition saying as much. She said she wanted them to go to a hotel. He said he tried to reason with her and was unable to. He told Kadie they could go to a hotel, but that he just wanted to go in and take a shower first- which he did. WHAT?!?! His pregnant wife who is holding their 10 month old daughter is so distraught and will not enter the home and is, according to him, acting crazy- and he felt the need to shower??? So he did what- left them outside?!?!? In the dark, alone, while having a psychotic episode- on a freezing night (coldest night of the year so far- someone else had stated earlier in the episode) while it was sleeting and icy?!?! That is completely absurd!! That was the biggest red flag for me! Can you even imagine??

Also, if Kadie were afraid to go inside the house and was so scared, I would think she would want to go to her mothers house, right down the road- not a hotel. That part sounds strange.

2. LE took the note in her pocket to mean that she was the one having a spiritual crisis- but to me it looked like she was jotting information down that she found that someone else had been looking at. As soon as Kadie's mom said Aaron was talking about conspiracy theories and 9/11 on the night she went missing, the first thing I thought of was that she had found those things searched on his computer and wrote them down to talk to him about. My thoughts are that he had been showing some odd behavior for some time now, and she probably confronted him about it, likely asking him to get help or she would leave- for her children's safety. Having the cash in her vehicle and her rings in her pocket- along with that paper of topics he had been reading about- to me, seems like she tried to confront him with all this and it didn't go well.

There are so many other things that really got to me, but those are the two that really stood out.

I really hope justice is served in this case- and also that there are some sort of consequences for the initial investigators for handling (if you can even call it that) this case so poorly.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back