Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
It aounds like they would not be able to get into the school of choice.

It is interesting in that in the high school where my kids went to, grades were not enough. Kids needed lots of volunteering and sports.

Kids without wealthy parents work in high school, They cannot volunteer.

These rich kids had plenty of time to volunteer, but I wonder if they ever did
When we met with a college admissions person when my oldest was starting the process, we were told that colleges look at how the high schooler took advantage of whatever opportunities they had. A student who had to work in high school was not looked down upon for not volunteering. But a student who had opportunities and did nothing with them, that stood out as unfavorable.

FWIW.

jmo

People parents and teachers started to care for the kids score?

Change in the number of people applying to college--rising rapidly. Elite colleges wanting to get the best and brightest as well--- however, they defined that.

As reported in Australia this morning.
Felicity Huffman’s words of wisdom come back to haunt

“Don’t just go through life, grow through life. What are you creating for yourself today?” Huffman asked her followers on March 8, next to a picture setting out her “rules of life”:
- there are none
- create your own
- live them.
:eek::eek::eek:

Does anyone understand why some of them pleaded guilty already today?
Actually, in reading one of the linked articles I answered my own question. At least for the first guy, he cooperated with investigators and took a plea deal as part of cooperating.

Man, I really feel for the kids, even though they are probably rich, spoiled kids.

Actually, in reading one of the linked articles I answered my own question. At least for the first guy, he cooperated with investigators and took a plea deal as part of cooperating.

Man, I really feel for the kids, even though they are probably rich, spoiled kids.

If you watched the video of Loris daughter, you wouldn’t feel bad

Lori Loughlin flying to LA to turn herself in for college admissions scandal | Daily Mail Online

Lori Loughlin has deleted all her social media and is flying from Canada to Los Angeles to turn herself in after being charged in massive college admissions scandal after it was revealed she paid $500,000 to get her daughters into USC
$500,000 is a LOT of money. The younger daughter at least is not interested in school. It would make more sense for the parents to put that $500,000 plus four years of USC tuition and living expenses into a trust for the daughter. Is this more about a status symbol for the parents to be able to say that their kids are in a "good" college?

It aounds like they would not be able to get into the school of choice.

It is interesting in that in the high school where my kids went to, grades were not enough. Kids needed lots of volunteering and sports.

Kids without wealthy parents work in high school, They cannot volunteer.

These rich kids had plenty of time to volunteer, but I wonder if they ever did

Yes, I think they were at the lower end of the range of gpa. USC, like many schools, looks for geo-diversity, balance of students in programs and these kids were from CA. Many high schools have mandatory volunteer programs/spring break build a school before you go to the beach. Athletics has its own rubric depending on gender and sport.

There's no way most of these kids didn't know or suspect something fishy. No way.

People parents and teachers started to care for the kids score?

But why care more about the scores when kids are getting scores that are good enough to get into most colleges?

IIRC, when we studied these prep-tests in psychometrics in college, we learned they make very little difference overall. I don't recall exactly, but research then showed the prep classes only improved scores by an average of 1 or 2 points. A well designed test should accurately measure your intelligence and academic knowledge without you having to "study" for it. You either know the material well enough to be randomly tested on it or you don't. Teachers would do a review, etc. In grad school, they recommended re-reading your last textbook for any subject you felt was your weakest, but that was about it.

There's no way most of these kids didn't know or suspect something fishy. No way.
If your parents hire someone to help you in the college process, you would have no reason to think that what they are telling you is not kosher. You do what you are asked. I work with high schoolers in the college admissions process. They really don't know how it all works. They depend on the professionals, especially if their parents are wealthy and/or educated.

If your parents hire someone to help you in the college process, you would have no reason to think that what they are telling you is not kosher. You do what you are asked. I work with high schoolers in the college admissions process. They really don't know how it all works. They depend on the professionals, especially if their parents are wealthy and/or educated.
How many get others to take tests for them and still have no clue. Maybe this level of intelligence is why they couldn’t get in?
There’s no way this is the first time mommy and daddy bought their way for them in their lives

But why care more about the scores when kids are getting scores that are good enough to get into most colleges?

IIRC, when we studied these prep-tests in psychometrics in college, we learned they make very little difference overall. I don't recall exactly, but research then showed the prep classes only improved scores by an average of 1 or 2 points. A well designed test should accurately measure your intelligence and academic knowledge without you having to "study" for it. You either know the material well enough to be randomly tested on it or you don't. Teachers would do a review, etc. In grad school, they recommended re-reading your last textbook for any subject you felt was your weakest, but that was about it.
Obviously to get into better schools.

I took act prep and it raised my score 4 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine