Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread says Macy’s phone calls with confidential government witnesses were “consensually recorded.”

Interesting. ... The plot thickens. *dun dun dun*
Most of the conversations say they were "consensually recorded" - I think because at that time, the parents thought the confidential government witness was an ally. You would think it would have raised flags to have these conversations recorded. But in any case, I don't believe Macy knew these conversations were being recorded for the benefit of the government or for any leniency against himself.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/william-h-macy-felicity-huffman-college-cheating-scandal.html

A former federal prosecutor also told Vulture that the alleged misconduct involving their second daughter might be too vague to bring charges against Macy.

“Just based on their conversation, there’s not enough proof to show he had any knowledge it was illegal,” he said. “Based only on the conversations, the second one, there is also an innocent explanation what he was saying and ultimately, they agree not to do it.”

This is giving me flashbacks to the days of Jack Grubman, the Wall Street equity analyst, giving fraudulent buy ratings on AT&T stock, so that Citigroup would get the underwriting side of business and the president of Citirgoup Sandy Weil would help get Jack's twin pre-schoolers into the elite nursery school of choice.

Wall St. and the Nursery School: A New York Story

Ironically, there was also an episode of Full House where Aunt Becky tries to get her twin sons into a nursery school by fabricating their applications that her two year old children were proficient at playing the bassoon. :D
Ohmygosh you’re right! I remember that episode too. Now that’s ironic!

I graduated HS in 1974. I lived in a tiny town in west Texas, the population was not even 3000 back then. Never had SAT prep classes and the one counselor the HS had never mentioned it. We just all went on to college, marriage, jobs or whatever we were going to do after graduation.
I was a few years later, but same. No prep taking. Kids were told if you planned to go to college, sign up for SAT. Those of us took the test - on a school day- in our high school auditorium.

My state college tuition was waved, only had to work to pay for housing and books. I was “privileged” for the tuition in that my dad was a disabled veteran. When you’re blind it’s hard to make a living wage. :(

So yea, I busted my rear so my dads sacrifices for country and family weren’t entirely wasted.

In another example, they used stock photos of a person playing a sport and then put the face of a student onto that of an athlete via Photoshop, prosecutors said.

*facepalm*

Good lord these clowns are desperate. These people are already multi-millionaires. I mean what's the point? It's not like their children will be destitute paupers if they don't get a premium name on their degrees.

It's been quite some time something has rankled my feathers like this. :mad:

I just cannot get past the fact for everyone this guy "let in through the side door" there is a hard working student who ALL DOORS WERE SHUT on. :(

Who knows what could have been..... I really hope there is someway to correct this.

That much money and educating your kids in academic subjects wasn’t a priority?? You educate them in fraud instead?? Maybe they couldn’t afford a private teacher to help them thru homeschooling?? Unbelievable.

Right.
This is prime example of what is wrong with so many of our youth in this country. It starts at home. :mad:

*facepalm*

Good lord these clowns are desperate. These people are already multi-millionaires. I mean what's the point? It's not like their children will be destitute paupers if they don't get a premium name on their degrees.
Yes! These are incredibly wealthy families whose children would have been ok without any of this. I think there's some narcissism and status seeking on the part of the parents here.
Some of the details are shocking! Just photoshop your kid into a track and field event - lol.

Yes! These are incredibly wealthy families whose children would have been ok without any of this. I think there's some narcissism and status seeking on the part of the parents here.
Some of the details are shocking! Just photoshop your kid into a track and field event - lol.

Ah, here we go. Not so sure of the accuracy of this link but it's what's out there. I have absolutely no problem with these guys having money. It is what it is. And like I said, this criminal foolishness is pointless when you have these resources.

From link: Combined net worth of Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy: $45 million

Felicity Huffman and William H Macy Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

They are shallow, selfish and shameless.
We have a family member working in the LA film industry who has fallen into this pattern of behavior. Unfortunately this person isn't a wealthy star but still has the attitude of ''I'm owed it all because I'm beautiful and talented.''

A very difficult person to deal with to say the least.

*edited for grammar

Last edited:
It's been quite some time something has rankled my feathers like this. :mad:

I just cannot get past the fact for everyone this guy "let in through the side door" there is a hard working student who ALL DOORS WERE SHUT on. :(

Who knows what could have been..... I really hope there is someway to correct this.
Rankles my feather too. My youngest has learning disabilities, failed kindergarten, needed tutoring, plus has 3 legal medical disabilities. The school and I went thru so many hoops to get help. By 7th grade she was finally caught up and had an opportunity to sit for the ACT. She out scored the 12th grader sitting next to her. Why? Because she worked so hard just to be normal. It does NOT take money nor fraud, it takes student EFFORT. My kid is now in her junior year of college, free ride on academics.

Rankles my feather too. My youngest has learning disabilities, failed kindergarten, needed tutoring, plus has 3 legal medical disabilities. The school and I went thru so many hoops to get help. By 7th grade she was finally caught up and had an opportunity to sit for the ACT. She out scored the 12th grader sitting next to her. Why? Because she worked so hard just to be normal. It does NOT take money nor fraud, it takes student EFFORT. My kid is now in her junior year of college, free ride on academics.
Congrats! This is great to read.

So much for every kid in America having the same opportunities. That's a myth. The scariest thing is, these are the people who'll be running the world. Entitled, materialistic, dunces. Good times!

Agree. I think all applications should be blind and federal funding needs to be removed so the price comes down. The amenities available at college campuses these days are ridiculous.

Just thinking....how could the College Board, who controls the SAT and ACT testing, not know something was up. It's not as if you can just order a test and proctor it yourself - you have to be an approved site, right? I wonder how the scammer-test-proctor arranged that.

jmo

Thanks so much for sharing. My nephew is learning disabled, and in the last 20 months has truly blossomed after receiving "peer to peer" tutoring by upper class students as part of their honors curriculum. He's worked so hard, and I'm so proud of him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken