CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me please--In regards to the two adults and two children caught on the surveillance video near the border on the 8th February 2010--did anyone come forward at all, to say it was them so cannot have been the McStay Family?

Not that I’m aware of. Jane Caldwell, spokesperson for SDSO said they still believed it was the family in the video and they crossed into Mexico. She made this comment a few days after the remains were found in the desert. :eek::rolleyes:

IMO, the QB activity places him at the home in Fallbrook on the night of the murder. The tiny Fruedian slip that CM last talked to JM when he was standing at his desk places him in the home at the time of the murder.

We do not have any evidence that places CM at home on the night of the 4th. Per CJs bugged phone call, the missed call came in on a Friday, which records confirm.

That's true. However, we also don't have any calls which place CM in Fallbrook. There has to be additional evidence to prove anything under these circumstances. A license plate number; or a reliable ID. Someone who saw the truck that entered and exited the McStay cul de sac that night. There are many people who knew the McStays, who might not have the best reputations either, who weren't even questioned as to their whereabouts on that night-and then there are the ancillary folks. Those helping with renovations. The fact that an alibi isn't rock solid doesn't prove murder. Especially if that alibi wasn't really looked into, until four years later.

Yes, interesting Taylor remembers that missed call being the basis of a weekend long discussion, and Cathy remembers that missed call being so significant, they even debated on calling the cops. But CM can't seem to recall it? Huh?
I have a theory that Chase never even told Cathy the McStays were missing until after that first weekend. Based on him being the one who murdered them, per the evidence, I don't think he would draw attention to the fact of their disappearance while he's still got the bodies, is then out burying them and moving their Trooper to the border.

So when he's calling her during his interview with detectives on Feb 17th, asking what they were doing on Monday 8th, I don't think Cathy even realizes then that it was the Monday after the disappearance or what date the McStays actually disappeared.

There's something about the lateness of them discussing that he needs to speak to police even though he's got warrants, because this could be a life or death situation, and so when she's going back over her memories of Chase not answering Joey's call she could be mixing in information from Mikey (who has Joey's bill and the 8.28 call), as well as the Friday before the 4th where Chase didn't pick up Joey's call.

So I don't think she had a reference point for when they disappeared from the beginning. If they had have questioned her with dates and times closer to the time it happened I think she would have remembered Chase being absent on the 6th when he was in the desert, and maybe she would have clocked other things around that time, like his 20 odd calls to her that lunch time and the 5 calls she made to his voicemail that evening.

JMO

Yes, interesting Taylor remembers that missed call being the basis of a weekend long discussion, and Cathy remembers that missed call being so significant, they even debated on calling the cops. But CM can't seem to recall it? Huh?

It is entirely possible that everyone is mis-remembering at this point. Susan Blake couldn't recall things; M McStay either. Investigators have had to look at their notes to refresh their memories. We are examining the relationship of two men who spoke every single day to one another. And there were many days when those calls exceeded 20. Trying to recall exactly which call occurred when is a task even those with photographic memories might find challenging.

People with three children, busy schedules, perhaps marital issues, can't always recall things with that exact precise kind of detail. There has to be better evidence of what occurred. Scientifically based evidence.

Ted Talk on fallibility of memory:

How reliable is your memory?

Why eyewitnesses get it wrong

Not that I’m aware of. Jane Caldwell, spokesperson for SDSO said they still believed it was the family in the video and they crossed into Mexico. She made this comment a few days after the remains were found in the desert. :eek::rolleyes:

I'm certain the SD Sheriff Dept. was only trying to do damage control. The Tijuana/San Diego border crossing, is supposedly the busiest in the entire world.

Sheesh!!!! I need proof it wasn't them. When exactly was it ruled out it wasn't them captured on the surveillance video? More importantly, who ruled it out? Sorry for all the questions!

Sheesh!!!! I need proof it wasn't them. When exactly was it ruled out it wasn't them captured on the surveillance video? More importantly, who ruled it out? Sorry for all the questions!
Nobody ruled it out, and per FBI agent Caldwell, they still believe it was them. I haven't heard anything otherwise.

So they have court for a whole half a day next week????? I don't know how they get away with doing a trial like this?

I have half day today, no court on the 22nd (and something on the 27th that I can't read my own writing lol), I see that disagrees with Cathy's, guess we'll have to wait and see what the schedule actually is.

I thought he was referring to the 9:32 p.m. call - didn't he say something about 'there's nothing out there, (something about Ventura) and why would he be calling from there'?

The cell tower was located there, but a phone can ping a tower some distance from where the caller is. Historical ping data is controversial because there are so many factors as to why a phone finds a given tower "attractive" to use Bole's expression.

The cell tower was located there, but a phone can ping a tower some distance from where the caller is. Historical ping data is controversial because there are so many factors as to why a phone finds a given tower "attractive" to use Bole's expression.

Yes but I'm talking about what he said in the jail house tape when talking about a call he has never remembered, I think he was referring to the 9:32 call and not the one around 8:30.

Yes but I'm talking about what he said in the jail house tape when talking about a call he has never remembered, I think he was referring to the 9:32 call and not the one around 8:30.

Oh. OK. I have to go listen again. Do you mean the first interview with San Diego? Or do you mean the conversation he had with CJ from jail?

I thought he was referring to the 9:32 p.m. call - didn't he say something about 'there's nothing out there, (something about Ventura) and why would he be calling from there'?
No that was a different part of the tape. This is about the 8.28 call.

This is what he says -

I came back down to the house, laid my phone on the counter, phone rang and you saw it, obviously, I didn’t, I never remembered that phone call, ever, I still don’t to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie