WA WA - Jerry Graves, 69, Asotin County, 25 Dec 2018 *dementia*

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
49209979_1987037754750096_9139866684230729728_n.jpg

The Asotin County Sheriff's Office recieved a report on 12/28/2018 of a missing person. He was last seen in blue jeans and a dark colored coat on 12/25/18 69 year old Jerry Graves is reported to have dementia and a history of hitchhiking between Pomeroy and Clarkston. If anyone has seen Mr. Graves or has infomation on his whereabout, please contact our dispatch, Whitcom, 509-758-2331.

Asotin County Sheriff's office

Asotin County Sheriff's Office searches for missing 69-year-old with dementia

I've tried checking Sheriffs FB page, no news. Newspapers I've tried won't show me zilch as I'm in UK and not allowed access grrrr.

He's got to be found and soon. The nights are getting cold, what is he eating? You can last without food for 3 weeks I understand, but water is needed every day.

What is the surrounding areas like,,? Forestry , waterways, open land ? I'm no idea of the route he may have followed so can someone PLEASE take a close look . WHAT is the land look like between Pomeroy and Clarkston.

Come on any one in the area, are LE doing searches there that volunteers can help to walk the land.

Time is running out fir such a frail, vulnerable older man, PLEASE give some time to help look for him now before it is too late.

What if this was your father or Grandfather, let's get together, if someone can take on coordination of this, it would be great. Ask Shetiff if necessary, if there are any problems doing this. We've got to get you all out there as soon as. Tomorrow I'm thinking.

From the article (Jan 8, 2019):

Graves, who has signs of dementia, reportedly was upset over the prospect of having to move into a nursing home and threatened to “just leave,” but did not give any specific information about where he would go, according to Asotin County Detective Jackie Nichols.

Graves is listed as 5 feet, 8 inches tall and weighing 125 pounds.

The missing man reportedly left behind his cellphone, money and all of his belongings. He was known to hike around the hills near his home, but a recent stroke and broken leg have seriously affected his mobility, Nichols said.

Still Missing 3/18/2019: http://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Graves_Jerry.pdf

Last edited:
Maybe some day, someone out in the hills will come across his remains. After this amount of time we're not going to see Jerry come home alive.
This hurts my heart as I feel that with more education in the care of people with dementia, this may have been avoided.

Maybe some day, someone out in the hills will come across his remains. After this amount of time we're not going to see Jerry come home alive.
This hurts my heart as I feel that with more education in the care of people with dementia, this may have been avoided.
I agree with you, altojack. Jerry seemed to not be in very good shape, along with his dementia, so I really hope he did not suffer or linger :( I don't even recall reading if he had any family nearby or if he lived alone, but there often aren't enough people or resources to watch over everyone in need carefully- how I wish there were.

Tripod, unfortunately it's always down to money isn't it. Before my mum died we tried to let her stay in her own bungalow. She had Alzheimer's and unfortunately had reached the stage where she didn't recognise the difference between light and dark outside. Taking walks at 1am and being spotted and taken to the police (many times), it was obviously time to go into a home. Like Jerry, she said she wouldn't go, she would run away, quite petulant with it too. She went, I went with her for two days then I came home. Mum didn't realise I'd left her there, but she was safe and I could sleep.

Did Jerry leave in darkness, it's dangerous out there the best of times, but walking in the hills, well doesn't bare thinking of does it. Whatever has happened to Jerry, he's safe now I'm sure. No loss of dignity for him, no childish temper tantrums either. He had probably left thinking he'd go find his mum and tell her people wanted to send him away.

Dementia = Roll Reversal between parent and child/carer.

Tripod, unfortunately it's always down to money isn't it. Before my mum died we tried to let her stay in her own bungalow. She had Alzheimer's and unfortunately had reached the stage where she didn't recognise the difference between light and dark outside. Taking walks at 1am and being spotted and taken to the police (many times), it was obviously time to go into a home. Like Jerry, she said she wouldn't go, she would run away, quite petulant with it too. She went, I went with her for two days then I came home. Mum didn't realise I'd left her there, but she was safe and I could sleep.

Did Jerry leave in darkness, it's dangerous out there the best of times, but walking in the hills, well doesn't bare thinking of does it. Whatever has happened to Jerry, he's safe now I'm sure. No loss of dignity for him, no childish temper tantrums either. He had probably left thinking he'd go find his mum and tell her people wanted to send him away.

Dementia = Roll Reversal between parent and child/carer.
It often does, yes, come down to having enough money to be able to hire extra caretakers or have the loved one in a hopefully safe, secure, well-run facility. It's exhausting for caregivers who do need breaks for themselves. Family members often don't live near each other these days, either, to be able to help each other out. Even when I was a child, often grandparents lived with adult children and grandchildren, and that's just the way it was. I think society was better off for it.
You're correct that Jerry no longer has to suffer within his lost world, I am sure. Bless him. Kudos to you, too, for caring for your mum and doing what was best.

Updating photo here, since it looks like the link above is now broken.

L9RQkN0.jpg

It strikes me that Jerry looks an awful lot like William Collins who disappeared on the other side of the state back in 2011. WA - WA - William Collins, 56, Woodway, 31 January 2011

There are people commenting on the Asotin County Sheriff's Facebook post about Jerry saying they've known him since they were children, etc. so I doubt it's William but the resemblance is remarkable.

Jerry A. Graves NamUs page The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail

Circumstances of Disappearance Jerry Graves was reported missing on December 28, 2018. He was known to hitchhike between Clarkston and Pomeroy, WA. He was last seen along Highway 12, west of Clarkston, near his home at Wilson Banner Ranch. He left behind his cell phone, money and all his belongings.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back