Madeleine McCann - Netflix documentary on this case

Documentaries should only ever serve your desire to find out more. They almost never cover all the details due to obvious constraints within the entertainment business.

I'm currently on episode two of this series and I'm hoping they delve deep into the McCann's as a whole, thankfully this thread is reassuring. With that being said I'll be surprised if they mention the Gaspar statements, the Freud meeting/s, the contradictions in Gerry's account of how long he was away from the restaurant at a time, Jane Tanner's account of Kate moaning about Gerry sneaking off to 'watch the football'. Just a few details in a long list of inconsistencies that need heavily exploring (forgive me if they do!).

Investigating the McCann's is not placing blame at their feet, as Colin Sutton said it's 'clearing the ground beneath your feet' which makes for a clean investigation. This case will always continue to come unstuck if whoever leads the operation only ever looks for Madeleine on behalf of her parents.

Anyways, first poster and all that jazz!

Last edited:
My take on it is that there was an accidental double dose. Mum then Dad not realising Mum had already done it.

Talk of a syringe in the flat, is that the type you get with calpol, you know, the kind to make it easier to dose a young child with?

I think death from paracetamol overdose is a long one whereby the organs shut down slowly. It would have been days and she would have been noticeably ill. This is the plot from that tv show, l forget the name. The author said she took her inspiration from this event.

Edit Info on paracetamol poisoning here, death is from acute liver failure

Paracetamol poisoning - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I found the doc series to be very long-winded, out of sequence, and therefore difficult to follow and they just seemed to throw in all these random red herrings of suspicious people the world over, when the real spotlight should start with the parents.

My theory is that they accidentally overdosed Maddie with Terfenadine, an antihistamine that Gerry McCann admitted to having in the holiday apartment. What is curious about this medication is that it was not available on prescription in the UK at that time. It had been removed due to severe adverse reactions, including serious ventricular arrhythmias.

Maddie had asked Kate that day why she hadn't come when she and Sean were crying the night before so I think they decided to up the dosage that night as they didn't want them to wake up.

Maddie died and they staged the scene and concealed the body.
They did this so they wouldn't lose custody of the twins, wouldn't lose their professions and would also maintain their lifestyle. Poor poor Maddie, her life and demise has been turned into a money making circus, enabled by a sycophantic media and top government officials.

I found the doc series to be very long-winded, out of sequence, and therefore difficult to follow and they just seemed to throw in all these random red herrings of suspicious people the world over, when the real spotlight should start with the parents.

My theory is that they accidentally overdosed Maddie with Terfenadine, an antihistamine that Gerry McCann admitted to having in the holiday apartment. What is curious about this medication is that it was not available on prescription in the UK at that time. It had been removed due to severe adverse reactions, including serious ventricular arrhythmias.

Maddie had asked Kate that day why she hadn't come when she and Sean were crying the night before so I think they decided to up the dosage that night as they didn't want them to wake up.

Maddie died and they staged the scene and concealed the body.
They did this so they wouldn't lose custody of the twins, wouldn't lose their professions and would also maintain their lifestyle. Poor poor Maddie, her life and demise has been turned into a money making circus, enabled by a sycophantic media and top government officials.

Can you source the information that Gerry had this drug in the apartment please.

I’ve just watched the whole documentary. No new information and I thought it was long winded too.

I can’t see how the parents would have hidden her body if they had anything to do with it.

I think it must have been a case of her being taken by a paedophile ring. Although I’m surprised no one has spoken out yet if there was more than one person involved.

P.J. POLICE FILES: GERRY MCCANN'S ARGUIDO STATEMENT 07 SEP 2007

header.jpg

OFFICIAL INQUIRY FILES and DOCUMENTS

This information belongs to the Ministerio Publico in Portimao, Portugal. It was released to the public on 4 August 2008 in accordance with Portuguese Law The official case file released to the public on DVD comprised 11,223 pages of documents in four parts...

The main case file (Processo: 17 volumes, 4,717 pages) supported by-

the file of sightings around the world (Apenso 5: 14 volumes, 2,550 pages),

other information appendices (Outro Apensos: 21 volumes, 3,407 pages)

and interviews conducted in England under a request for Mutual Legal Assistance.

(Cartas Rogatorias: 9 volumes, 549 pages. Total - 1.07GB.)

The Policia Judiciaria in Portugal investigated the disappearance of Madeleine Beth McCann between 4 May 2007 and 21 July 2008

McCann PJ files
Bumping

I also think the "They've taken her" comment is telling. How did she arrive at a "they"? If my kid isn't in his bed, I would be running around looking for him saying, "Logan's missing! Logan's gone!" I might say, "Someone took him" if I had reason to believe that quickly that someone had taken him and he hadn't wandered off. But to quickly leap to, "They've taken her"?? That's a pretty quick leap.

I agree with MPinFC on the "they've taken her" statement. Who exactly is they? I have a few theories floating around in my head. One is that they accidentally gave her too much medication and she od'd. They panicked and some how got rid of the body. (How, i'm still thinking of that one, lol.) My second theory was that they were approached by someone or a pair of people (a couple or 2 individuals) and they were asking the McCanns personal questions about their daughter. Possibly, even offering the family money for the little girl. When the parents declined the offer and continued on. The "abductor" saw the chance and took her anyways. I'm leaning more towards accidentally killing her and they're trying to cover it up.

I watched the whole series, I thought it was ok. It really didn't do anything to change my mind.

My thoughts on the timeline:

Unless something new comes to light to change my mind, I think that the timeline made it nearly impossible for the McCanns to have hidden Madeleine's body. She was seen by the resort staff at the Kid's Club at about 5:30 pm. The McCanns arrived at dinner at the Tapas about 8:35 pm. Even if they gave her a dose shortly after returning to the apartment from dinner at the Kid's Club, that's not enough time for a tylenol/benadryl overdose to occur (if both parents accidentally double-dosed her), and if they had given her a much stronger sedative, which take a shorter time to start working, they would have noticed the effects before leaving for dinner and would have had time to call for medical assistance to save her. And even if they did give the dose say right before they left for dinner, again, Gerry checked shortly after and would have noticed a problem, but even if he didn't get to her on time, there still wasn't enough time by then for him to hide her well enough that nobody after a massive search that lasted months couldn't find her. IMO.

My thoughts on what happened to Madeleine:

By just about all witness accounts, the McCanns and their travel party stood out to everyone. Many of them had small children. It would have been very easy for someone watching to track their movements and figure out their routine. It didn't help that they broadcast their plans, for example telling the Tapas staff that they wanted their table reserved because they had small children that would be sleeping while they wine and dine. How many others did they tell?

It was what, their 4th or 5th night when Madeleine disappeared? It would have been so easy for someone to watch for them to go to dinner, then wait for someone to perform a check, then after that they knew they would have at least 15-20 min to get in, grab her, and get out. Even easier if more than one person was involved. And just because someone kidnaps a child, it doesn't mean it was for a pedophile gang. It was likely a crime of opportunity and someone took it. There were robberies and child assaults throughout the area of the Club, perhaps someone stumbled upon her in that way. I think it's also possible that by day 4 or 5 of their holiday, Madeleine figured out how to open the doors herself and possibly wandered off looking for her parents and ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. She was probably deceased within a few days, or even possibly hours. :( As for her parents' responsibility in all this, I will put in one more post so that this one does not get too long...

All IMO.

I’m not new to the case, but I didn’t sleuth every theory years ago. It all turned so muddled. But I’ve always felt there were other theories not presented. As if something is missing. I can see the main theories and agree with them in part - overly sedated and something happened or an intruder who watched her from afar.

Tonight, in episode 5 as I watch, the layout of the compound hit me. Two large-ish buildings separated by a path in between and forming a slight curve around the pools. Tapas beyond the pools. As Cobalt stated above, they reserved their table every night and basically the whole compound probably knew their routine. That area wasn’t super huge. When you go to a resort of a vacation spot, you tend to observe others habits.

Another theory could be that someone else vacationing in the two buildings observed the family. Perhaps a couple, or a loner who wanted a child, recently lost a child, or a vacationer fixated on Maddie. Maybe they were from Spain or another nearby country with lax re-entry. Maybe from Portugal.

It was stated in a few early articles, you could always hear laughter coming from their table at Tapas. Any staff or other holiday goers would know the Mcann’s routine on that evening. I’m very curious about each person staying in those two buildings that night.

IMO, MOO

I don't know the McCanns at all, but the impression I get after following this case for years and seeing countless hours of MSM footage of them is that they seem very entitled and aloof. The problem only got worse once Gerry got a taste of "celebrity". That's what did the McCanns in. Flying around the world in private jets, did they really think they would find Madeleine at the Vatican?? Or in India? Erecting that massive poster of Madeleine on the beach at Praia da Luz, so cringe! Getting celebrity treatment by having personal access with a key to the church, having their rock star getaway moments when the media chased them down (wouldn't you take every opportunity to hold up a photo of Madeleine and give the media a word or two?). I don't know if this is rumor or not, but I recall reading that Gerry came to the US very shortly after Madeleine went missing to rub elbows with DC people, and that he was very annoyed that Laura Bush was unable to personally meet with him? I expected that to be in the documentary but it wasn't, though maybe it was just rumor. As time went on, it seemed that finding Madeleine became more and more secondary to their maintaining a celebrity status and protecting their reputation. Anyways, it's things like this that made me wonder about them, especially Gerry. Kate seemed truly broken but also cold, hard to explain. Though I haven't walked in her shoes so I try not to judge.

Also add in that the McCanns have afaik never accepted any responsibility for their daughter's disappearance. They have always claimed they did nothing wrong. Well obviously they did, because their daughter went missing on their watch, during which they were irresponsible and neglectful.

All imo.

Also add in that the McCanns have never accepted any responsibility for their daughter's disappearance. They have always claimed they did nothing wrong. Well obviously they did, because their daughter went missing on their watch, during which they were irresponsible and neglectful.

THIS. Zero accountability on their part.

Well that is fascinating, Cobalt. I never knew any of that about Gerry. Thank you. No wonder I quit sleuthing the case. It took so many turns.

I, too, always found them aloof. But I often thought it was because I’m American and perhaps not as reserved. Very interesting about Gerry.

Many things stand out to me, but one is, why they don’t talk to the media more. In this age of social media they could be the perfect conduit. They could do it themselves via a Youtube dedicated to finding her. Instead, it’s all through PR or a spokesperson.

I’d be much more sympathetic if they showed more emotion and talked one-on-one to the public. I always wondered if the Portuguese police traumatized them in any way. I still wonder that, but then Gerry’s actions. How odd.

Well that is fascinating, Cobalt. I never knew any of that about Gerry. Thank you. No wonder I quit sleuthing the case. It took so many turns.

I, too, always found them aloof. But I often thought it was because I’m American and perhaps not as reserved. Very interesting about Gerry.

Many things stand out to me, but one is, why they don’t talk to the media more. In this age of social media they could be the perfect conduit. They could do it themselves via a Youtube dedicated to finding her. Instead, it’s all through PR or a spokesperson.

I’d be much more sympathetic if they showed more emotion and talked one-on-one to the public. I always wondered if the Portuguese police traumatized them in any way. I still wonder that, but then Gerry’s actions. How odd.

Hi Whiskers! BBM ~ Just to be clear, those are just my thoughts on Gerry, I of course have no proof and I could be completely wrong. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back