CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ze, I think media mix up. What say you?
If he was last seen riding out, riding out from where?
From NR?
I don’t understand the statement nor why RCMP did not release info of such sighting.
As Misty posted above, the request for video includes 01/25.
As far as we know, he worked on 01/25. Tammy never mentioned him awol that day, to my knowledge.
If they saw him riding out , then why were they surprised to learned he was missing? No one knew he was gone right? That doesn’t mesh if he was seen leaving.

If they saw him riding out , then why were they surprised to learned he was missing? No one knew he was gone right? That doesn’t mesh if he was seen leaving.

I’m stunned media can mix this up since there’s been so little to report. Perhaps just the way the editor published the article?

I’m stunned media can mix this up since there’s been so little to report. Perhaps just the way the editor published the article?
Media mixes it up all the time here in the US. A member in WS, who was also a journalist stated once that it depends on which spokesperson for LE gives the interview, and how fast the media wants to get the info out there. Could be the same in Canada.

@zecats below is the caption under photo from my previous link:

Ben Tyner is shown in an RCMP handout photo. The family of the missing Merritt, B.C. man is pleading for information nearly three weeks after the 32-year-old was last seen. Tyner was the manager of the Nicola Valley ranch in B.C.'s southern Interior but has not been seen since Jan. 26 when he rode out of the ranch, possibly to search for cattle in the surrounding hills. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-RCMP MANDATORY CREDIT

And then to contradict that is this article. What to believe @Trudie

https://www.abbynews.com/news/he-lo...missing-man-to-leave-merritt-without-answers/

Tyner, a manager at the Nicola Ranch, was last seen on Jan. 26. His horse was found near a logging road, riderless and in full tack, two days later. Police confirmed Wednesday that it’s believed a truck and trailer may have transported him to the Swakum Mountain or nearby service roads, but so far a driver has not come forward.

And then to contradict that is this article. What to believe @Trudie

https://www.abbynews.com/news/he-lo...missing-man-to-leave-merritt-without-answers/

Tyner, a manager at the Nicola Ranch, was last seen on Jan. 26. His horse was found near a logging road, riderless and in full tack, two days later. Police confirmed Wednesday that it’s believed a truck and trailer may have transported him to the Swakum Mountain or nearby service roads, but so far a driver has not come forward.

Tysm @zecats ~ I think there’s just miscommunication, as in all cases. I’m sticking with the horse trailered scenario until I see a witness at a presser confirming a sighting of Ben riding.

Ze, I think media mix up. What say you?
If he was last seen riding out, riding out from where?
From NR?
I don’t understand the statement nor why RCMP did not release info of such sighting.
As Misty posted above, the request for video includes 01/25.
As far as we know, he worked on 01/25. Tammy never mentioned him awol that day, to my knowledge.

My opinion, I don’t think he was seen riding out to search for cattle. It’s like the old telephone game, from one media report, then another and the story begins to morph....

This report below is from Jan 29th. It appears to me two different details released at the press conference can be somewhat scrambled together in error. LE says Ben was last seen Saturday afternoon but not as he was heading out to look for cattle. Ben wasn’t reported missing, his disappearance wasn’t perceived as unusual because he often went searching for cattle on his days off in the past.

“......Mounties are searching for a man they're describing as a missing cowboy after a riderless horse was located by loggers near Merritt, B.C.

The horse, which was in full gear, was discovered Monday morning, and local ranchers were able to identify its owner.

The 32-year-old man works on a ranch but had been on his days off, so his disappearance hadn't been noted. A manager at the ranch identified him to The Canadian Press as Ben Tyner.

Ben Tyner was last seen Saturday, but was not reported missing until his horse was found in full gear without a rider two days later. (Facebook)

He was last seen Saturday afternoon, Merritt RCMP said in a statement. They believe he'd been riding in the backcountry, but his planned route and time of departure are unknown............

.......They're concentrating search efforts on the hills northwest of Merritt after learning Tyner often used his day off to search that area for cattle belonging to the ranch.......”

Discovery of riderless horse prompts search for missing B.C. 'cowboy'

Although very sad, I find it interesting the Tyner family always referred to Ben as deceased, from the get go. All of their comments referenced Ben in the past tense.
Therefore, I think Ben was having issues with someone & unfortunately that “someone” was able to pull off a major coup.

My opinion, I don’t think he was seen riding out to search for cattle. It’s like the old telephone game, from one media report, then another and the story begins to morph....

This report below is from Jan 29th. It appears to me two different details released at the press conference can be somewhat scrambled together in error. LE says Ben was last seen Saturday afternoon but not as he was heading out to look for cattle. Ben wasn’t reported missing, his disappearance wasn’t perceived as unusual because he often went searching for cattle on his days off in the past.

“......Mounties are searching for a man they're describing as a missing cowboy after a riderless horse was located by loggers near Merritt, B.C.

The horse, which was in full gear, was discovered Monday morning, and local ranchers were able to identify its owner.

The 32-year-old man works on a ranch but had been on his days off, so his disappearance hadn't been noted. A manager at the ranch identified him to The Canadian Press as Ben Tyner.

Ben Tyner was last seen Saturday, but was not reported missing until his horse was found in full gear without a rider two days later. (Facebook)

He was last seen Saturday afternoon, Merritt RCMP said in a statement. They believe he'd been riding in the backcountry, but his planned route and time of departure are unknown............

.......They're concentrating search efforts on the hills northwest of Merritt after learning Tyner often used his day off to search that area for cattle belonging to the ranch.......”

Discovery of riderless horse prompts search for missing B.C. 'cowboy'

@MistyWaters thanks for the clips.
I agree, things got scrambled.
But, the next to the last quote in your post does imply he was seen riding. He was last seen Saturday, they believe he was riding.....
Someone could have reported seeing him, to cover their butt, imo.

@MistyWaters thanks for the clips.
I agree, things got scrambled.
But, the next to the last quote in your post does imply he was seen riding. He was last seen Saturday, they believe he was riding.....
Someone could have reported seeing him, to cover their butt, imo.

In the actual press conference I’m almost certain LE stated Ben was last seen Saturday afternoon but nothing more. If he’d been seen riding, they wouldn’t “believe” he was riding - he’d have last been seen riding, my interpretation but I could be wrong.

In the actual press conference I’m almost certain LE stated Ben was last seen Saturday afternoon but nothing more. If he’d been seen riding, they wouldn’t “believe” he was riding - he’d have last been seen riding, my interpretation but I could be wrong.

No, I totally agree. I interpret it as they (LE) were told by someone Ben was riding but LE could not verify such a sighting. And, as we discussed earlier, the tracks/lack of would be helpful.
Also, on the first thread, there’s a link that reports Ben was seen around 10pm Saturday night. I can’t remember if it said he was seen in Merritt or not. We might have speculated he was in town for dinner, drinks, socializing.
Moo

I think LE has had conflicting statements made to them.
It’s quite possible a ranch employee said he saw Ben riding out, maybe confused on the date, etc.
this is such a horrifically sad case. Had Ben stayed in WY, he’d still be here. From all we know, he was a fine, upstanding guy. I’ve not seen one bad word about him.
It seems everyone loved him & he had friends all over.

No, I totally agree. I interpret it as they (LE) were told by someone Ben was riding but LE could not verify such a sighting. And, as we discussed earlier, the tracks/lack of would be helpful.
Also, on the first thread, there’s a link that reports Ben was seen around 10pm Saturday night. I can’t remember if it said he was seen in Merritt or not. We might have speculated he was in town for dinner, drinks, socializing.
Moo
Here’s the article where LE said his whereabouts where known Saturday night which narrowed the time he went missing to Sunday.

Searchers narrow time frame of Merritt cowboy's disappearance

As the search continues, Merritt RCMP have narrowed down the timeline of how long he has been out for, but are still trying to determine how Tyner made his way out to where he was riding, and where he was headed.

"We know of his whereabouts on Saturday night, so that gives us an extra day," Dunsmore explains. "We are still looking at how he may have gone up here, because we're still thinking that maybe he was driven up. So we don't know who would have driven him up, or if there's anybody out there that maybe brought him up with a truck and trailer, and we're looking for that person if that did happen."

Here’s the article where LE said his whereabouts where known Saturday night which narrowed the time he went missing to Sunday.

Searchers narrow time frame of Merritt cowboy's disappearance

As the search continues, Merritt RCMP have narrowed down the timeline of how long he has been out for, but are still trying to determine how Tyner made his way out to where he was riding, and where he was headed.

"We know of his whereabouts on Saturday night, so that gives us an extra day," Dunsmore explains. "We are still looking at how he may have gone up here, because we're still thinking that maybe he was driven up. So we don't know who would have driven him up, or if there's anybody out there that maybe brought him up with a truck and trailer, and we're looking for that person if that did happen."

Glad you posted this.

I remembered seeing an article giving possibilities of when he left and one was Sunday afternoon. I thought to myself that maybe he had gone to church that morning. Later, they were saying Saturday as when he left. I never could find the article (or video) again.

If he had gone to church that morning, there should have been a witness unless the makeshift services were conducted out in a field or gym. I didn't go back to check the date when Ben gave a TV interview where he discussed the burning of the church but RCMP have arrested a suspect in this arson on January 18, ten days or so before Ben disappeared. I wonder if the suspect was out on bail when Ben went missing? He or his family/friends could have seen the interview and "targeted" Ben.

If Ben came upon a cattle rustling or some other crime going on, then I don't think that would be targeted but could be considered something like a spontaneous shooting.

Man arrested for arson following Merritt church fires

Hey Tripod, why are you surprised by the latest news? Tia
Surprised only because I'd always thought Ben had a terrible accident. I continued to think that, even though no signs of him had been found at all.There have been so many missing persons over the years that haven't been found in pretty thorough, initial searches; and yet, they were in the general search area all along.
I did think it was odd he never told anyone he was riding out, or where. I suppose I thought he'd simply planned on going out for a few hours only.

I can’t think of one good reason for someone to not admit to giving Ben a ride when he was initially reported missing. Its just common decency to provide pertinent information to assist with rescue efforts of a missing person. Initially it was presumed Ben had an accident, lost his way, became separated from his horse, etc. How would this person have known he was ambushed instead? IMO that implies involvement.
Really? You haven't seen posters on these forums presume people that were near a person who disappeared or was murdered must be a suspect without any proof? As I said, if someone dropped him off, innocently, and later came to believe he was ambushed later - that person who dropped him off now must basically prove they weren't an accessory to any crime that may have happened.

I think it’s highly possible that information pertaining to when or where Ben was last seen are the pieces of what’s not “quite fitting where they should fit”. If so, good chance an arrest is looming because who else would lie about something such as that, other than anyone with knowledge of Ben’s death.

“....RCMP Sgt. Janelle Shoihet says she can’t share why, but police now believe the manager of the Nicola Ranch could have been a targeted victim.

“After having taken a good look at all the pieces of the puzzle — two months of investigation — pieces are not quite fitting where they should fit.”....”

Disappearance of B.C. cowboy Ben Tyner 'likely' criminal, say RCMP

Last edited:
Really? You haven't seen posters on these forums presume people that were near a person who disappeared or was murdered must be a suspect without any proof? As I said, if someone dropped him off, innocently, and later came to believe he was ambushed later - that person who dropped him off now must basically prove they weren't an accessory to any crime that may have happened.

Oh yes I agree trial by Social Media is often bloody and vicious without any proof whatsoever, one reason why I refuse to support FB.

But that’s totally different than being completely honest with police through caring enough to help find someone who’s gone missing. IMO it’s the difference between demonstrating good character as opposed to selfishness. By our justice system, the accused never has to prove he or she is innocent and droppng someone off is not proof of murder.

Lying or withholding information mirrors the behaviour of guilty people. That’s a common reason why people who do so get blamed. As the old saying goes - honesty is the best policy :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members