Madeleine McCann - Netflix documentary on this case

I agree, having watched the whole thing now, that GM appears to be revelling in the attention. I understand from a clip in the film that he had been filmed before in his work role so he want averse to a bit of attention.

In fact his whole family didn't come across well imho. His mother, who said 'he saves peoples lives and this is how they repay him' - quite possibly the strangest comment anyone has made in this whole thing. His sister who seemed to also enjoy her time in the spotlight. She was the one who first said KM sedated the kids with Calpol.

None of this means he had anything to do with it though. The PJ focused their attention on KM as the perp due to the dog alerts.

3 - The biggest error from this criminal mastermind is yet to come....because having studied and observed he still manages (according to mr oldfield) to get himself trapped in the apartment at the precise time of one of the "regular" patrols!

The even bigger issue is that the Met themselves (Crimewatch) say they located "tannerman" and ruled him out of the investigation

The entire Tapas timeline is constructed around that window for abduction and sighting.

So why all the apartment foreshadowing of the big bad lurking in the apartment to match that sighting, when it was actually just some other dad?

The tapas timeline can't work once tannerman is ruled out.

Having read through much of the P.J case files, i just wonder ..

How normal would it be for home office reps to be vetting questions from a foreign police force to british citizens?

And following on from this...

What "line of questioning" towards Kate Healy's father was it that the home office deemed to be "inappropriate" to be put to him?

The more that one looks into this case, the smellier it becomes

Was anyone else totally freaked out by the surgical mask man? I couldn't watch.

I shed a tear at the end. That poor little girl. Poor children who go missing every year without a trace. It left me feeling an overwhelming sense of sadness.

It left me feeling an overwhelming sense of sadness.

Have to be honest.....my overriding feeling is more of unfairness and inequity in the way that this case has garnered so much attention for so long when some other missing kids are deemed hardly worthy of two lines in a newspaper.

Lets face it...the ONLY reason that this case is kept going is that if it was closed then the police would fear being compelled to release info on exactly what they do or do not know!

I would prefer to concentrate on the cases that could use the effort and time....,this one has enough help from upon high i think

Interesting that one of the group went to check on the McCann's kids (after Gerry but before Kate) but didn't actually enter the room. I wasn't aware of that. It's possible she was missing at that time.
and it was the same man who went before Gerry. Why did he go twice in short succession?

I understand this opinion. I am of the mind that the PJ did such a poor job in the beginning and Madeleine deserves a fair crack of the whip. This was also the first case that was prominent in the age if social media so it was able to become such a beast as not seen before and the McCanns have done a good job at keeping it in the public eye. Everyone has an opinion on this; everyone wants to know what happened to this little girl. It may not be fair on some of the other missing children but apart from Ben Needhams mum l don't hear any other parents shouting.

I just finished the whole series on Netflix.

As I said before I wanted to believe the parents so badly.

However, so many resources were used to find her and nothing has surfaced. The documentary spoke about the awful international pedophile rings (which would break any parents heart) but, why take a British girl when they could take someone else without as much focus? It does not make sense to me.

As much as the one fellow from Scotland Yard says he suspected them at first but then changed his mind as they seemed like caring parents - they can still be caring and loving parents but accidentally kill their child. Especially since KM specialized in anesthetics. Doctors tend to feel above the law and infallible.

What if everyone in their group participated or were aware that their children were being drugged (put to sleep every night). I am sorry but Tylenol will not knock a kid out that is not already sick - with a fever or pain.

So say all the parents drugged their kids with benzos (so why worry or check on them). Then Madeliene is found dead. Everyone in their group would be questioned and their kids would be tested for drugs in their system. (This is why I think the pact has stayed intact for so long).

I can’t figure out how they disposed of her body though.

Yes i came to the same conclusion that all kids were drugged and they therefore all had to be in the pact or risk everything IMO

Maybe too much sleuthing and suspicion but that is what I thought when I saw the anomalies. A lot of the people involved all booked flights to that resort the day before at last minute. Gm phone went off for eight hours the day before.

I don't understand what you are implying??

Documentaries should only ever serve your desire to find out more. They almost never cover all the details due to obvious constraints within the entertainment business.

I'm currently on episode two of this series and I'm hoping they delve deep into the McCann's as a whole, thankfully this thread is reassuring. With that being said I'll be surprised if they mention the Gaspar statements, the Freud meeting/s, the contradictions in Gerry's account of how long he was away from the restaurant at a time, Jane Tanner's account of Kate moaning about Gerry sneaking off to 'watch the football'. Just a few details in a long list of inconsistencies that need heavily exploring (forgive me if they do!).

Investigating the McCann's is not placing blame at their feet, as Colin Sutton said it's 'clearing the ground beneath your feet' which makes for a clean investigation. This case will always continue to come unstuck if whoever leads the operation only ever looks for Madeleine on behalf of her parents.

Anyways, first poster and all that jazz!

We were giving up the will to live by the end of episode six and haven't braved the final two hours of. It was dragged out imo.

Last one l think. Totally freaked out. Checked all thr doors were locked twice before bed

Remember...

Crimes like this are extremely rare so don't have nightmares and do sleep well :)

Ps: it's not the burglars that come in through the window that you need to worry about.....................it's the wardrobe monsters!
:) :) :) :)

I'm only up to episode 3 but I remember when the story broke and watching the news footage and reactions to G & K. It cannot be stressed enough just how significant their background in medicine influences reactions to something like this. If you're in medicine and health, it's fundamental that you learn to not show your emotions publicly. You let it out in private, your grief is for you to see, not everyone else. It is such as huge part of the job that you do it automatically.

I and many people I know work in medicine and trust me, we have all been called cold and heartless before. That we aren't grieving the loss of loved ones 'properly', that we aren't feeling or acting the 'right' way. But when you work in an industry where you might be dealing with some truly stomach churning or deeply emotional things, you HAVE to compartmentalize and learn how to put your feelings aside until a time when you can allow yourself to feel it.

G&K would be no different. There is a difference between being unfeeling and choosing not to feel right now. I see pain in G&K. I have seen that look on my own face, on the faces of my friends and coworkers. Their reactions and actions aren't that of people who don't care, who are cold or heartless. Their faces are ones of people putting their emotions in a box until the time they can let them out safely.

And they weren't just feeling pain and deep, deep devastating loss. You can see they were immensely touched and grateful for the public's support at the time. But there is most definitely anger in there too. Look and you can absolutely see it. They would have had to be angry at the situation, at the way the police were handling the case, and the fact they were then judged for their 'wrong' responses. And if you feel like the police weren't doing enough to find your child, then it makes total sense that you would raise hell and high water to ensure people were looking for her. You'd shout, scream and rattle cages so PEOPLE KNEW. And that's exactly what they did and are still doing. That's what the media can be good for. But of course it's a double-edged sword. By utilizing the media it can very easily be questioned and people treat it as suspicious.

Now I'm by no means their stans, honestly I cannot ever imagine I would have left my children unsupervised like that. But then I think back to my childhood holiday in an area much like that and my parents doing exactly the same thing. Worse really, because it was standard practice that parents would leave the room doors wide open so they could hear the kids. It makes me shudder to think of how reckless that was, but when it's just what is done, when you are comfortable and feel safe, then you really don't think that the worst could happen. But frankly I think it's irresponsible, even if I can understand the reasons for doing it.

But I do not think their reactions are abnormal when you put it in the greater context of who they were and what was going on. If anything, it would have been more suspicious if they were incredibly emotional publicly. And that whole 'laughing in private' thing...utter crap. People are capable of laughing whilst in the midst of sheer, devastating grief. I think we've all laughed at a wake, hell I've been to funerals and people have laughed in the middle of it. You simply cannot predict nor dictate how someone responds to something like that and one emotion does not mean others are not being felt.

This is very long-winded, lol. But yeah. Just a small comment on one element about this case. But I don't think they are responsible for her death/abduction, particularly not if you're basing that predominantly on how they did or didn't respond emotionally to the situation.

*edit* I think the mantra a lot of us have had to repeat to ourselves in really tough moments sums up my point succinctly: "True grief you carry without witness". Oversimplified of course, but still very true.

Last edited:
I've often thought their lack of visible emotion could be due to their background. I'm not sure about GM but KM often looked quite tortured to me. The photos of the smiles etc. aren't credible evidence of their guilt.

I've seen some interesting stuff about body language when lying and GM doesn't come off well in that. I find that harder to dismiss. But that's not proof of being a murderer.

Yes, the man in the mask at the end was terrifying, especially when the girl rolled over and stared at him, frozen. Waking up to someone in my bed/room is one of my worst nightmares. I do not think that is what happened to Madeleine. The boogy man crawling into beds wasn't stealing kids. Not the same culprit, IMO.

Regarding the McCann's professional background being related to their contained emotions.... I suppose that's possible, but I don't think it accounts for the gross lack of accountability they've stuck with for 12 years. I think people might have a different opinion of them if they said, "We screwed up. It's our fault. We should never have left Maddie alone that night, or any night." Even if said without emotion, it would be a start towards likeability.

Yes, the man in the mask at the end was terrifying, especially when the girl rolled over and stared at him, frozen. Waking up to someone in my bed/room is one of my worst nightmares. I do not think that is what happened to Madeleine. The boogy man crawling into beds wasn't stealing kids. Not the same culprit, IMO.

In my limited understanding of the psychology of this type of crime, there is potential for escalation in some but not all individuals. This person went from being present / in the bed to touching so there is potential there imho.

Regarding the McCann's professional background being related to their contained emotions.... I suppose that's possible, but I don't think it accounts for the gross lack of accountability they've stuck with for 12 years. I think people might have a different opinion of them if they said, "We screwed up. It's our fault. We should never have left Maddie alone that night, or any night." Even if said without emotion, it would be a start towards likeability.

I completely agree. Although KM reportedly said they had let her down at the time and GM had days something smoking the lines of he regrets not being there in the moment she was taken. What stuck out in the 2013 CW appeal (apart from Tannerman being discredited) was KM saying they weren't the ones that had done something wrong.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back