GUILTY NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, jogger found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #5 *First trial MISTRIAL*

CBS New York‏Verified account @CBSNewYork 4h4 hours ago
The murder retrial of Chanel Lewis continues in Queens Tuesday. The victim’s mother is expected to testify sometime this week.

gjncn8ks

NYC Informer‏ @newyorkcityinfo 3h3 hours ago
Karina Vetrano’s Mother Expected To Testify As Chanel Lewis Retrial Continues https://newyorkcityinformer.com/593183/karina-vetranos-mother-expected-to-testify-as-chanel-lewis-retrial-continues/ …

Christopher Robbins‏ @ChristRobbins 45s46 seconds ago
"One juror, an older white man, nodded theatrically during the prosecution’s opening statement, but sat stone-faced as the defense laid out their case."

GUILTY! Until I learned the mother of Karina had been at Sloan Kettering earlier that day I had reservations as to the defendant's guilt.

GUILTY! Until I learned the mother of Karina had been at Sloan Kettering earlier that day I had reservations as to the defendant's guilt.
My hunch is that at least two jurors think the same.
And it's likely, IMO, that at least one juror was swayed against the defense after they called Karina "Katrina".

Mom of slain runner testifies at retrial
Updated 9:35 am EDT, Wednesday, March 20, 2019
The defense said there was nothing of legal substance Catherine Vetrano could offer, but the judge allowed her to testify.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/19/slain-joggers-mom-to-killer-lawyer-her-name-is-karina-not-katrina/

March 19, 2019 | 5:29pm | Updated
The lawyers for the man accused of killing Queens jogger Karina Vetrano can’t even get her name right.

Attorneys for accused killer Chanel Lewis called his alleged victim “Katrina” while cross-examining her grieving mom Catherine during a retrial Tuesday.

“Excuse me, her name is Karina,” the mom snapped.

Karina Vetrano murder: Father testifies in Chanel Lewis' retrial
March 20, 2019
[...]
Phil Vetrano . . .
[...]
He was then asked if he'd ever been asked to provide a DNA sample.

"At Karina's funeral, in a back room," where he went with two detectives, he said. "I told them, 'If you need my right arm, I'll give you that.'"

During cross examination, he testified that he picked up Karina's body but was pulled away almost immediately.
[...]

If you are going to be a witness in a criminal trial you can't be in the courtroom while other testimony is being heard. PERIOD! But a friendly judge allowed it anyway. No end of this judge's 'friendliness' as he called a mistrial after 11 hours of jury deliberations in the first trial. And he did not make any attempt to send the jurors back at least ONCE to further deliberate. I am saying there was a lot of time and effort expended by the DA on this most critical trial. People I speak to in the law business have said they never saw anything happen like this before - neither have I.

But it was a great chance to get a little sympathy in for the DA. Made sure she was at Sloan Kettering the night before for some sort of operation.

Then you have the father trying to call his daughter and gets no answer. This was supposed to happen not much more than a 1/2 hour after the daughter went on her run. It was about 5PM, August, which means daylight. She could have been gone for two hours and it shouldn't have raised any fear when you consider this happened in Howard Beach.

When you look at Chanel I think it would be fair to say he doesn't look like an Albert Einstein. Truth is he is probably dimwitted, or a person that could be easily manipulated by the police.

Did Lewis do this murder? Honestly, I don't have a clue. If he is guilty then I hope he is found guilty. And I do hope he is guilty because if he is not the real killer(s) are going to remain free of this terrible crime.

If you are going to be a witness in a criminal trial you can't be in the courtroom while other testimony is being heard. PERIOD! But a friendly judge allowed it anyway.
^snip
Vetrano Mom Takes Stand For First Time
Cathie Vetrano was often seen clutching a crucifix during the November murder trial that ended with a split jury. She sat through jury selection for the retrial last week and watched opening statements on Monday.

On Tuesday, she took the stand for the first time.
[...]
Prior to opening statements on Monday, Justice Michael Aloise granted prosecutor Brad Leventhal’s motion to allow Cathie Vetrano to sit in on opening statements even though she was scheduled to testify.
[...]

New Evidence Heard In Chanel Lewis Retrial

Mar 20, 2019

What is the new evidence? I watched the video but didn't see anything new.

David Brand‏ @DavidFBrand 2h2 hours ago
The jury at Chanel Lewis murder retrial heard two racial profiling 911 calls this morning, per @ChrisCarrega. The first was the ‘suspicious black male in hoodie’ call by an off-duty cop that led to Lewis’ arrest eight months later.

Prosecutors Play 911 Call of ‘Suspicious Male’ with ‘Hood Up’ That Led to Vetrano Murder Arrest 8 Months Later

Eyewitness News‏Verified account @ABC7NY 2h2 hours ago
Karina Vetrano murder: Neighbor, NYPD lieutenant testify in Chanel Lewis' retrial https://7ny.tv/2JvfQCZ
D2Mc27uXgAAv7xm.jpg

Karina Vetrano murder: Neighbor, NYPD lieutenant testify in Chanel Lewis' retrial (with clip)

March 21, 2019

"HOWARD BEACH, Queens (WABC) -- Testimony is continuing Thursday in the retrial of a man accused of murdering a jogger in Queens. ...

The prosecution called two witnesses Thursday morning. First was Angelo Gurino, a neighbor in Howard Beach who called 911 in May of 2016 to report "a suspicious person standing on the corner, looking at my house." ...

Next on the stand was NYPD Lieutenant John Russo, a neighbor who remembered Lewis having been in the area and whose recollection, months later, led police to identify Lewis as a potential suspect.

Karina Vetrano's father testified Tuesday and Wednesday. ...

Karina Vetrano murder: Neighbor, NYPD lieutenant testify in Chanel Lewis' retrial

We are at a disadvantage when giving opinions on this case. All we know ( or think we know) is based on media reports. In my case I miggggggght know a little bit more because I know some of the characters involved etc.

For now the question that gets my interest is the phone call to Karina from her father and he yells on the phone : Where The F--K Are You. I would like to know if the timeline between Karina leaving the house and the time the father made the call. Was there enough time that passed where one could be reasonably concerned? I tend to remember it was no more than a half hour, or thereabouts.

Then we have that story about the mother just getting home for an operation from Sloan Kettering? What the hell is that all about? Sloan Kettering??? What sort of disease does that conjure up in your mind. Why all the superfluous BS? Maybe because it is all BS?

"SUSPICIOUS BLACK MALE WITH A HOODIE"
20 + years ago ADA Leventhal brought a black male to the stand to identify 2 suspicious black males with hoodies standing on a corner. The witness was a remarkable young man. He was able to identify two black men he never saw before from 180 feet away on the coldest day of the year, and was able to do that 20 minutes before sunrise. When the police canvassed the neighborhood for witnesses this young man told them about the 2 black males standing on the corner. They would hold him for 13 hours and brought him to every place that had photos of criminals. He could not identify anyone. Now this made perfect sense because no one could make such a identification from that distance even if it was High Noon in full sunlight. It is IMPOSSIBLE! MORE LATER

Murdered Jogger's Father Testifies Again In Murder Retrial
March 20, 2019
[...]
“I put my hands, my arms under her arms and picked her up towards me,” he said, adding that police officers nearby pulled him away.
[...]
Burke also asked Vetrano about a phone call he made to his wife Cathie before picking up Karina from an Ozone Park train station around 4:30 that afternoon.

Vetrano told Cathie, who testified Tuesday, to lock the doors to the home after he saw three people on dirtbikes along Cross Bay Boulevard, about three-quarters of a mile from the site where Karina’s body was discovered.

“I saw kids on dirt bikes riding down Cross Bay Boulevard,” Vetrano said. “She wasn’t feeling well and she has a tendency not to lock the doors.”

The phone call about the dirt bikers was not mentioned during the first trial, which ended in a split jury
[...]

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie