Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #13 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Formal identification is still yet to take place and we remain unable at this stage to confirm her identity.

Could this be as something as simple as keeping the media at arms length for now? Hoping it wont become a circus?
"Formal identification is still yet to take place" - there's really nothing more to read into it.

I agree - the police state that "formal identification is expected to take place following the post-mortem", so they must have prepared somebody to do that.

Identification can be made simply by viewing a distinguishing mark such as a tattoo or birthmark.

'Formal identification' just means that certain criteria have been used to confirm an ID. There's no requirement for a relative, for example, to identify a body, especially if the circumstances of the death or immersion in water means the body isn't easily recognisable. If it's traumatic, the authorities may show NOK photos of clothing, jewellery or identifying marks, but DNA or dental records can suffice.

'Formal identification' just means that certain criteria have been used to confirm an ID. There's no requirement for a relative, for example, to identify a body, especially if the circumstances of the death or immersion in water means the body isn't easily recognisable. If it's traumatic, the authorities may show NOK photos of clothing, jewellery or identifying marks, but DNA or dental records can suffice.
Yes, but what I meant was that, from the wording, it sounds as though identification is imminent.

Yes, but what I meant was that, from the wording, it sounds as though identification is imminent.

I (mis?)read your comment as 'someone prepared' to make a visual identification. Visual id isn't always reliable and there has to be a 'scientific' method used, the primary criteria being fingerprints, DNA or dental records. How fast this is done depends on workload and them getting dental records etc.

Surely at this stage, when a family has been informed, LE would have confirmed that it wasn't Libby if they knew it wasn't. So IMO it has to be her but LE are just waiting on the formal ID to be 100% sure. Even after saying all of this... For some reason there's still part of me that's refusing to believe it's her until LE confirm it. :(

I (mis?)read your comment as 'someone prepared' to make a visual identification. Visual id isn't always reliable and there has to be a 'scientific' method used, the primary criteria being fingerprints, DNA or dental records. How fast this is done depends on workload and them getting dental records etc.

How long would the DNA result needed take to come back if it was done straightaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77