NY NY - Bear Mountain SP, 'The Unknown Hiker' WhtMale 30UMNY, 45-60, Nov'90

Bumping for him. Just wanted to say, the book is a 1960s edition published by WW Norton & Company, published as part of The Norton Library. Nothing exciting there, just wanted to put that out there that it wasn't some super special edition only published in Belgium or something, unfortunately.

I realize this is extremely unlikely...All the same, something about this caught and held my attention (so do shiny things, but's that a different story).

From The Doe Network:

Case File 997DMNY

JLake.jpg
JLake2.jpg
JLake1.jpg
30UMNY.jpg

Lake, circa 1967 at 37 -----------age progressed to 73 ------------NY UID hiker

John Eric Lake
Missing since December 10, 1967 from New York City, New York.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: February 18, 1930
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 37 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 180 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Lake wore black-rimmed glasses.
  • Marks, Scars: Small scar on chin
  • Clothing: Lake may have been wearing a navy blue blazer with a striped lining at the time of his disappearance.
  • Dentals: Detailed dental records are available.
  • Fingerprints: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
John Lake was last seen on the evening of December 10, 1967 in Manhattan, NY, after having dinner with an acquaintance. According to the acquaintance, he had several drinks when he dropped her off at her apartment in Midtown and began walking to a subway station to go downtown to his apartment in Greenwich Village. He was not seen again.
Lake was the sports editor for Newsweek Magazine at the time of his disappearance.
Many of Lake's co-workers at Newsweek feel his disappearance was voluntary. He had been depressed for at least a year, due mainly to the deteriorating relationship with his wife and growing dissatisfaction with his job. Despite his high-profile position, he had struggled financially for years. More than a few of Lake's associates thought he just wanted some peace, although none seem to find suicide likely.
His disappearance was investigated by the NYPD as well as Pinkerton Detective Agency.

NYPD Missing Persons reopened the investigation in 2004.
Lake was extremely fond of sports, especially track, basketball, football, baseball and car racing. He was a runner himself and believed in keeping fit, although he also loved an occasional cigar.
Lake was a lover of the arts, including literature and theater; he preferred folk and country music. He was an extremely talented writer and editor and was a voracious reader.
Lake was not impressed with material wealth and, if still alive today, he is likely to have chosen a very simple lifestyle.

Lake was famous in his day as a sports writer, interviewing such legends as Willie Mays and Cassius Clay. He had seperated from his wife and was living in an apartment in Greenwich Village. Though they had tried to reconcile, Lake agreed to a divorce just weeks before his disappearance. He had had various "flings" with friends and co-workers, but nothing seemed serious.
Its not so inconceivable that Lake just chucked it all and started a new life, maybe writing for a small town paper or changing directions altogether.

Lake and the unknown hiker share similar builds, both being around 6'. Lake was athletic, as a hiker most likely would be, but he also smoked cigars (and LE believes the hiker was also a smoker). Lake would have been around 60 when the hiker died, within the age range given for the UID (45-60). Lake was an avid reader with an interest in literature; the UID's choice of reading material that day certainly fits in with that interest.
The tag on the knapsack reads "RJ Bass". A creative person with the last name "Lake" might well chose an alias like "Bass" as a play on his own name.

I think it is interesting the link between Lake and Bass.

What about Edward Grossman? Not much information about his lifestyle, but he disappeared from NY in around the right timeframe (September 1989) and his picture (without beard) looks similar.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/grossman_edward.html
NY NY - Edward F. Grossman, 59, Dale, 3 Sept 1989 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

His height and hair color seems right (says black but pic looks grey) and I think there are many similarities between him and the UID.

Also, don't know if this is the same Edward Grossman, but this one in the 1970s was writing articles that referenced German Woodcuts and Doris Lessing. He seems a likely candidate for carrying around a 1960s edition of a translated German literary work.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1971/05/the-obsolescent-mother/304201/

ETA I don't think it is. An author called Edward Grossman was still writing and translating in 2004.
http://www.unz.org/Author/GrossmanEdward?Col=3

Bumping because it's been a while -- have there been any updates since 2013?

I haven't seen anything.

Me either... He still doesn't even have a NamUs. I emailed the email that's on DoeNet for him (goes to the state troopers I guess?) asking if he can be added.

Me either... He still doesn't even have a NamUs. I emailed the email that's on DoeNet for him (goes to the state troopers I guess?) asking if he can be added.

I almost made the same comment -- about not even being in NamUs.

Since my last post there was legislation in NY requiring cases to be uploaded to NamUs.

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/16252

No DNA, no dentals, no fingerprints. Ugh.

You know, any member of the public can create a NamUs entry. Obviously, there may be information that the public can't access, but it might encourage law enforcement to just fill in the remaining bits. I created one for Joan Risch. It was delayed because NamUS had to get permission from the investigating agency, but they eventually approved it and it is live.

You know, any member of the public can create a NamUs entry. Obviously, there may be information that the public can't access, but it might encourage law enforcement to just fill in the remaining bits. I created one for Joan Risch. It was delayed because NamUS had to get permission from the investigating agency, but they eventually approved it and it is live.

Are you talking about for this John Doe? Because only LEOs/MEs can add UIDs to NamUs.

If you're talking about for a missing person to compare, I'm all for it!

Are you talking about for this John Doe? Because only LEOs/MEs can add UIDs to NamUs.

If you're talking about for a missing person to compare, I'm all for it!

Are you sure? I did not know that about UIDs. It's too bad. For MP, anyone can create the entry -- but it has to be approved and officially entered by LE.

Are you sure? I did not know that about UIDs. It's too bad. For MP, anyone can create the entry -- but it has to be approved and officially entered by LE.
I didn't know that either, but I found the following just now on NamUs's "about" page (bold font is mine).

Missing person records can be entered into NamUs by anyone, including the general public; however, all cases are verified with the appropriate law enforcement agency prior to publication in NamUs.

Unidentified and unclaimed person records are entered into the NamUs database by medical examiners, coroners, and other criminal justice designees.

Bumping case up. NamUs Link:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail (3).jpg
Deceased had been dead several months prior to discovery. He was found a short distance from the Appalachian Trail, a popular hiking trail in the north end of Bear Mountain State Park, in an area densely covered with mountain laurel bushes.

Accessories: A book of "Bear Mountain Inn" matches, a "Bronkaid Mist" inhaler (indicating that the deceased may have been a cigarette smoker or suffered from asthma), brown leather wallet with $162, disposable lighter, black ace comb, and pocket knife with clip. The Rilke book, below, was a collection of essays.
Thumbnail (4).jpg

Clothing: A blue denim jacket and "Andre Francois" blue jeans, a pocket T-shirt, heavy crew socks, and an "Ace" athletic supporter

Footwear: "Hi-Tec" hiking boots size 11.5

Jewelry: yellow gold necklace, compass with leather lanyard

Would anybody who is not German read Rilke?
I mean, yes? I am pretty sure his books still sell pretty well here, though I think the fact that the hiker carried it with him is a sign that he was pretty well-educated. Was the book in the actual German, or was it an English translation?

I checked, it was an English translation. But even in German speaking countries, Rilke is something only read in the equivalent to college and only by highly educated people for fun.
It is quite dark poetry and essays, nothing you would take with you to a fun camping trip.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark
Back