AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the comment about the anglo saxon protestants was likely a sign of things to come for whatever reason.... but race has been a part of this case since very early on for those that have been following closely... so i am not surprised

It was only a part of the case for those who couldn't see through the trolling.

Unfortunately it persists.

I'm from the area and have followed this case from the beginning and race was never a legitimate factor. Only when the usual suspects interjected it did it become a predictable distraction and diversionary tactic

I am also from the area, but since there have not been any suspects publicy identified until now, I didn't realize race was ever a factor. But I just see it coming based on yesterday. Just my two cents.

It is easy for people NOT from Alabama to assume that race influences everything we do but that's pretty far from the truth. White Alabamians do NOT auto matically assume that Blacks commit all the crimes. I've followed this case from the beginning and from ALL the rumors associated with the murder of these two girls, a random Black male being the perp hasn't been one of them as far as I know. I NEVER thought about the race of the killer but I did think it was a single MALE and wanted desperately for him to be caught.

I assume they don’t want to get locked into any one story until they’ve seen the state’s evidence.

Or they have no freaking idea. I would have no idea what to say if someone asked me what I was doing on July 31, 1999.[/QUOTE]
Gardenista, because of this crime, I remember exactly where I was and what i was doing on the night of 7-31-99. I believe most people here probably do. This crime completely rocked our community.

I for one cannot remember what I was doing on the day or night of July 31st, 1999
59c83b81_question-marks.gif

All thou I'm sure that others that were directly in the area or had personal involvement with both parties at the time would be more prone to remember.

Keeping an open and optimistic mind It will be by far a very interesting case see how it all unfolds.

Or they have no freaking idea. I would have no idea what to say if someone asked me what I was doing on July 31, 1999.
Gardenista, because of this crime, I remember exactly where I was and what i was doing on the night of 7-31-99. I believe most people here probably do. This crime completely rocked our community.[/QUOTE]

I too am from the area (at the time, living in Ewell, 3-1/2 miles east of Ozark). As is the case with most people, I did not hear about the murders till late the next day, and the local news reported it. I remember what I was doing when I heard, but not what I was doing the night before, at the time the murders occurred - probably sleeping. Some may remember every detail of their activities nearly 20 years ago, but some of us don't. There is one point that we probably all agree on; that the killer remembers every detail of his activities and has relived it many times over and from every angle in case he ever has to come up with alibis or explanations for comings and goings and actions.

I find it interesting that at the early point hes already said hes going to ask for a change of venue. It was inevitable and makes sense from a defense point of view, it just seems to be jumping the gun. I dont find him to be any more distasteful than your average attorney, but asserting the innocence of your client is kinda part of the job.
I feel that a change of venue is best for both sides. I doubt you will find anyone in the Wiregrass area who doesn't have an opinion based on some rumor they've heard over the years.

Gardenista, because of this crime, I remember exactly where I was and what i was doing on the night of 7-31-99. I believe most people here probably do. This crime completely rocked our community.

I too am from the area (at the time, living in Ewell, 3-1/2 miles east of Ozark). As is the case with most people, I did not hear about the murders till late the next day, and the local news reported it. I remember what I was doing when I heard, but not what I was doing the night before, at the time the murders occurred - probably sleeping. Some may remember every detail of their activities nearly 20 years ago, but some of us don't. There is one point that we probably all agree on; that the killer remembers every detail of his activities and has relived it many times over and from every angle in case he ever has to come up with alibis or explanations for comings and goings and actions.[/QUOTE]
I absolutely agree. I'm one of those people who remembers almost everything down to the minute details. My hope is that the truth comes out in all this. I feel like most of us from the area wants to know what happened that night. It has been a dark cloud overhead for far too long.

David Harrison is now trying to say that DNA stands for "do not ask" , "do not answer" ..........and he said all it proves is that they knew each other.

Of course the defense attorney is going to say this. He's going to have to create this relationship that never existed to explain his client's DNA being present. If LE finds the key chain and baseball cap in CM's possession the defense attorney is going to say JB gave them to CM as tokens of love.

He also has to start tainting the jury/planting seeds of doubt should the change of venue be denied. It's a total slime ball move but he has to start spinning his own narrative. I would expect my attorney to do whatever is required as well.

As always, my opinion only.

Last edited:
Of course the defense attorney is going to say this. He's going to have to create this relationship that never existed to explain his client's DNA being present. If LE finds the key chain and baseball cap in CM's possession the defense attorney is going to say JB gave them to CM as tokens of love.

He also has to start tainting the jury/planting seeds of doubt should the change of venue is denied. It's a total slime ball move but he has to start spinning his own narrative. I would expect my attorney to do whatever is required as well.

As always, my opinion only.
Largely , I agree, however under our system everyone is entitled to a defense, and an atty. is supposed to do everything he can within the bonds of legality to rep his client. Given the strength of DNA evidence, plus the possibility of whatever other evidence the prosecution may have the poor guy probably has little else to work with. At least the defendant is young enough the case will probably eventually go to trial, unlike DeAngelo who with the slowness of the CA judicial system will probably die before the case ever goes to trial depriving the families and public of answers.

@ddav, I agree with you and as I said I would expect my defense attorney to do whatever for me as well to keep me from the death penalty. I call it a slime ball move because it has the potential to cause more emotional damage to two families that have been tormented for 20 years already.

Wow, her son goes to school with the daughter of the guy who was arrested.

That why I mentioned that J.B. and Tracie might know CM through J.B. Beasley’s legal guardian/dance instructor.

Attachments

• 841CD970-D549-4CE9-A2E0-02D7964DCFCB.png
    841CD970-D549-4CE9-A2E0-02D7964DCFCB.png
    347.2 KB · Views: 49
I really admire BOTH families in never giving up. They are strong, but must have hearts of gold. Bless them. J.B’s guardian, Patti Simpson seems like a strong and caring woman. I applaud and respect her for stepping up to care for J.B. as an guardian (ad hoc parent) friend and confidante for J.B.
I never have seen much out of J.B.’s biological mother; just a taped appearance on Maury Povich and possibly a short interview on a crime show of some sort. The only other thing I can remember are a few now removed postings that were (quite) a bit adversarial towards other family members activities to keep this case out in the open. (I think raising money for billboards or to increase the reward. I can’t remember right now.
This whole case must have a drastic toll on her also though. I was always curious about her strained ( or more) relationship with J.B., her sisters and others in the case as well as her reclusiveness.

Just curious rambling here. Move along, nothing to see here.

Thank everyone here. No Matter how large or small you feel it might be, you are advocates for true justice.

Quo Vedis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members