AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife defends Alabama man charged in '99 double killing

Mar 20, 2019

"...Jeanette McCraney defended her husband, 45-year-old Coley McCraney, during a news conference not far from the jail where her husband is being held without bond charged with the 1999 slayings of Tracie Hawlett and J.B. Beasley.

"I'm here to let you know that the man behind those bars, he's innocent," Jeanette McCraney said as she spoke to reporters with family members standing behind her. "I know he didn't do it. I can honestly tell you my husband is innocent."..."

Wife defends Alabama man charged in '99 double killing
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Family of Coley McCraney speaks out

Murder victim parent's speak to WDHN

Mar 19, 2019

"Tracie Hawlett's parent spoke to WDHN about what they hope happens to Coley McCraney, the man believed to have killed their daughter."

Hawlett_Beasley.jpg

I really admire BOTH families in never giving up. They are strong, but must have hearts of gold. Bless them. J.B’s guardian, Patti Simpson seems like a strong and caring woman. I applaud and respect her for stepping up to care for J.B. as an guardian (ad hoc parent) friend and confidante for J.B.
I never have seen much out of J.B.’s biological mother; just a taped appearance on Maury Povich and possibly a short interview on a crime show of some sort. The only other thing I can remember are a few now removed postings that were (quite) a bit adversarial towards other family members activities to keep this case out in the open. (I think raising money for billboards or to increase the reward. I can’t remember right now.
This whole case must have a drastic toll on her also though. I was always curious about her strained ( or more) relationship with J.B., her sisters and others in the case as well as her reclusiveness.

Just curious rambling here. Move along, nothing to see here.

Thank everyone here. No Matter how large or small you feel it might be, you are advocates for true justice.

Quo Vedis
I had the same thoughts Blacklist, I'm not getting in the middle of it but in these last days my thoughts have been with her as much as the rest of them and I hope she is doing well. Believe that if we really wanted to start critiquing there's very few of us that are beyond reproach.

I went by the memorial on Herring at approx. 6:45 PM today (Mar. 21). To my surprise the cement bench is no longer there. Does anybody know what happened to it?

thumbnail.jpg

On Monday my inaugural entry here on WS consisted of three questions/theories and I wrote that I will have three more. Took me longer than I thought, but... Here are three additional questions (or theories to ponder)(they most likely have already been discussed):

1. It has been stated either here or in other sites/forums that JB either lived in Ozark for a brief time when she was younger or that she frequently visited Ozark for various reasons. If so, did she only know the 231 area of Ozark or did her various reasons of previously visiting Ozark take her to the downtown area/eastern section of the town? If it is the latter, could they have been truly lost that night? Or could they have deliberately been in Ozark....even more specifically the eastern section? (EDIT: Yes, this has been discussed a lot and I've been told that JB, in fact, never lived in Ozark. I just would like additional discuss on this.)

2. It has been speculated and stated that McCraney left JB's car and the girls on Herring and then simply walked home to Lisenby. While this is plausible since it is a "mere" approximately 1.5 miles distance, two things have to be considered. First, that distance is city walking which is greatly different from track walking. In my experience, two miles of city walking is like five miles of track walking. Second, he would have had to pass through the downtown district and both the Police Department and the the Sheriff's Office would have been a few blocks away, one on either side. And nobody noticed him?? I hate to involve race, but a presumably wet and soiled twenty-six year old black male walking through a Southern town's downtown at 1:00 A.M. in 1999 and nobody noticed him?? It doesn't matter that it was a weekend night and that Ozark has a large black population. I was stopped once in my own neighborhood by LE at 8:00 P.M. Me, a well-dressed white male in a predominately white neighborhood. And nobody noticed him...not OPD or DCSO???

3. Why has McCraney been charged with 1st rape if the ME said that neither girl was raped and rape was not an issue with the DA until McCraney was arrested? Does the DA know something that the news outlets or the general public do not know? Or is it that the DA's office is so irritated that this case has been ongoing so long that they decided to add a "stick it to ya" charge in just for good measure? Or was she raped and OPD, DCSO, ME, and DA all collude to keep it confidential and from the MSM and GP for? (what reason?)

I will have additional question in time. Your feed back is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

On going LE investigations never give out all the details. They owe nothing to sleuthing groups like our own or even the interested public. As they pointed out, this was not a cold investigation, this was an open investigation. I don't find it especially concerning to see anyone walking the streets late at night, especially someone I've seen before. I doubt seriously that police or otherwise thought anything nefarious was about if they had seen him walking as no one knew anything about the crime at that time.

It is a good thing Tracie Hawlett made that phone call to her mother at 11:38pm on the night of July 31, 1999 or I think this case would be more circumstantial. The phone call establishes a timeline and where they were at a certain time. The content of the phone call establishes their intentions at that time which may or may not have changed after they left the Big Little gas station.

I agree with J.B. Beasley's guardian in the news interview. What I think is kind of sad is that if the suspect sticks to his story of being innocent(and maybe he is, the court process has to play out and he has that right), I think we may never know the true story of what actually happened to J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett after they left the Big Little gas station on the night of July 31, 1999.

On Monday my inaugural entry here on WS consisted of three questions/theories and I wrote that I will have three more. Took me longer than I thought, but... Here are three additional questions (or theories to ponder)(they most likely have already been discussed):

2. It has been speculated and stated that McCraney left JB's car and the girls on Herring and then simply walked home to Lisenby. While this is plausible since it is a "mere" approximately 1.5 miles distance, two things have to be considered. First, that distance is city walking which is greatly different from track walking. In my experience, two miles of city walking is like five miles of track walking. Second, he would have had to pass through the downtown district and both the Police Department and the the Sheriff's Office would have been a few blocks away, one on either side. And nobody noticed him?? I hate to involve race, but a presumably wet and soiled twenty-six year old black male walking through a Southern town's downtown at 1:00 A.M. in 1999 and nobody noticed him?? It doesn't matter that it was a weekend night and that Ozark has a large black population. I was stopped once in my own neighborhood by LE at 8:00 P.M. Me, a well-dressed white male in a predominately white neighborhood. And nobody noticed him...not OPD or DCSO???

I will have additional question in time. Your feed back is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I didn’t address 1 or 3 because I think that Question 1 is silly and 3 is ridiculous.

The bodies of the girls were not found until six hours after the discovery of the car. By the time that news of their murders had circulated around town either by the media or word of mouth which would make it mid-day. The crime scene was well outside the downtown section of Ozark so why would anyone think that the presence of McCraney had anything to do with the murders? Imagine your average Joe who was on his way home from work at midnight. He sees McCraney on foot and makes a mental note of it. The next day around 3pm he hears about the murders outside of town. Is he going to connect the two?

I say that there is no way. Twenty years later? Not possible.

What other evidence could they have against McCraney?

We know there was a palm print. We know the caliber of weapon used. Witnesses? Fingerprints on steering wheel?

To get a conviction they need more IMO. What could they have on him?

Last edited:
I would just like to make the point particularly to all African Americans and also to all those people in Alabama who do not like infringement of peoples human rights that I believe Paul Holes and Anne-Marie Schubert have accused an innocent man of being the Golden State Killer and the actual offender is Ralph Leon Jackson and as of now the FBI have done nothing to correct it after almost a year.

So you think his legal guardian/dance instructor is keeping this information to herself?

That they know each other? I’m not sure maybe she can’t say. It’s an idea. I don’t look down upon other ideas. It’s plausible. I didn’t say it’s a fact.

On going LE investigations never give out all the details. They owe nothing to sleuthing groups like our own or even the interested public. As they pointed out, this was not a cold investigation, this was an open investigation. I don't find it especially concerning to see anyone walking the streets late at night, especially someone I've seen before. I doubt seriously that police or otherwise thought anything nefarious was about if they had seen him walking as no one knew anything about the crime at that time.

I didn’t address 1 or 3 because I think that Question 1 is silly and 3 is ridiculous.

The bodies of the girls were not found until six hours after the discovery of the car. By the time that news of their murders had circulated around town either by the media or word of mouth which would make it mid-day. The crime scene was well outside the downtown section of Ozark so why would anyone think that the presence of McCraney had anything to do with the murders? Imagine your average Joe who was on his way home from work at midnight. He sees McCraney on foot and makes a mental note of it. The next day around 3pm he hears about the murders outside of town. Is he going to connect the two?

I say that there is no way. Twenty years later? Not possible.

In the last week I posed six questions/theories that, now in hindsight, I should have not because it muddied the waters, probably were not plausible, and most like inflammatory. I would like to address those questions now. I will not repost the questions, just my answers to them. If you would like to read them please look for them:

Monday, March 18

1. Why I questioned about Ms. Merritt I don't know. My apologies to her. Just the fact that she came forward as a witness is admirable.

2. I've been told that the white pickup and its driver has been accounted for.

3. I went to school with JWB. I was not; however, in the same circle as he was. He had a reputation of being a liar and a thief (not my opinion). That being said, he destroyed his own credibility by having several narratives and then admitting that he was in it for the information money.

Friday, March 22

1. I agree with Falcon500 on this. It was a silly question. Most everybody that lives in Dale-Coffee-Houston counties knows a little bit about Ozark and has been there once or twice. I don't know what I was insinuating , or leading to, by posing this question. The topic of if they were lost or not is up for debate, but either way their lives were still ended by a *advertiser censored*.

2. I think with this question I was questioning the sensibility of Southern people, insulted Southern LE, and was a bit racist. (it was NOT my intent). I am sorry to all three. Although McCraney might of been noticed, he most likely would not have been scrutinized. And to say that he would have because he is black was extremely prejudicial and very wrong for me to do so. Black, white, male, female, it didn't matter: just a person walking in the city.

3. The authorities kept this information to themselves as to preserve the case. If I were in their shoes I would do the same. Again, I apologize to LE for this.

I will not ask anymore questions unless in direct reply to a post. I think that I need to tend to, and get in order, my own house before I try to play junior gumshoe detective.

I'm kind of surprised at the skepticism I'm hearing about McRaney as a suspect, both on here as well as among locals IRL. I know it's hard forget 20 years of speculation and (sometimes wild) theories about this crime; but try to imagine if 20 days (not 20 years) after the crime, we had known that DNA evidence matched at 25 yo man who lived less than 2 miles from where the bodies were found. If we'd had that info before all the rumors and theories, everyone would agree that investigations must be done to explain why his DNA was found. That process has to occur.

As to the subject of racism, I know that this is south Alabama and African-Americans have not always been (and still are not always) treated fairly. But I just don't get the feeling that anyone is feeling pressure to pin this on a random black guy. I will also note that Marlos Walker is African American. Patti Simpson is not someone that we should sleuth, but maybe some other locals know of her and will understand when I say that she has a reputation in the community that is the exact opposite of a racist.

Discussion of the case (mostly comments on social media) have left me feeling a little slimy lately. I'm not at all an insider, but I know of a few of the people discussed here by 2 or 3 degrees of separation. (The girls were the same age as one of my siblings who went to a different high school in the area. One of my kids was once very involved in dance and theater in the Wiregrass.) I'd really like to honor the families' wishes to focus on JB and Tracie and to keep an open mind as the legal proceedings proceed.

JMO MOO

I told @SavageMarkIII that I would ask them after football season since in case I ran into them in person at an Auburn game. I prefered to bring this topic up in person since I doubt it was something they still discuss.
I told @SavageMarkIII that I would ask them after football season since in case I ran into them in person at an Auburn game. I prefered to bring this topic up in person since I doubt it was something they still discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419