Montreal priest stabbed while celebrating morning mass at landmark oratory

dotr

Reaction score
Montreal priest stabbed while celebrating morning mass at landmark oratory

A Catholic priest at one of Canada’s most high-profile churches was stabbed before the eyes of shocked worshippers while celebrating morning mass on Friday.

The mass at the St. Joseph Oratory, a domed landmark towering over Montreal, was being livestreamed on a Catholic channel, Salt + Light Television. A video bearing the channel’s logo shows a tall man in a dark coat and white baseball cap walking calmly between the pews and up the steps into the church sanctuary, then rushing toward Rev. Claude Grou as the priest stands behind the altar.

Rev. Grou, who is rector of the oratory, is seen stepping back to try to avoid the assault, then falling to the ground on his back as he is attacked. He was taken to hospital by ambulance. Police say he sustained minor injuries to his upper body.

The Catholic Diocese of Montreal described his condition as stable. The suspected assailant is in police custody.

“He was very determined in what he wanted to do. He didn’t yell, said nothing, he just unsheathed his knife,” said Adèle Plamondon, who was in the sanctuary when the attack occurred.

She described the assailant as a clean-shaven white man, standing about 6 feet.

WARNING MAY BE DISTURBING.

Montreal priest stabbed during mass at St. Joseph's Oratory
"Philip Barrett, who was sitting near the front of the church, said he saw a tall man, who appeared to be a Caucasian in his 30s, rise from a pew and quickly walk into the sanctuary to attack Rev. Claude Grou, the Oratory’s rector.

“He walked over behind the altar and he seemed to strike the priest’s body,” Barrett said. “I think the priest fell down at that time. I do remember the priest was moving away from the man but it happened so quickly there was almost no time to react.”

Barrett said people quickly restrained the suspect, who did not struggle. He said the suspect didn’t speak or call out during the attack."

Barrett said Grou crumpled to the ground after the attack, but appeared to be conscious and alert about 15 minutes later when paramedics wheeled him to an ambulance.

He said members of the congregation immediately began praying, both for Grou and for the suspect.

St. Joseph’s Oratory is among Canada’s largest churches, and pilgrims from all over the world are drawn to its domed roof and stunning architecture."

Last edited:
My first reaction (beside shock and dismay) is that it could be related to all the child abuse charges against priests? That is not a fact, but my first reaction as I learn about this. Could be something completely unrelated.

jmo

Father Claude Grou: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

26 year old suspect remains unnamed, but is said to be known by police.

It's a sad statement on the world, when the first thing someone thinks is that is a revenge attack by an adult who was molested by a priest in his childhood. MOO

There are so many priests and nuns who daily help and heal the world, and are killed because they are just Roman Catholic.

It's a sad statement on the world, when the first thing someone thinks is that is a revenge attack by an adult who was molested by a priest in his childhood. MOO

There are so many priests and nuns who daily help and heal the world, and are killed because they are just Roman Catholic.
Yes, I agree it is a sad first reaction. I hope you aren't taking a dig at someone for having a reaction that isn't pleasant. I also didn't mention that the perp was a victim, but that the stabbing could be related to the huge scandal.

(FWIW, I have pastors in my family so I'm hardly anti-clergy.)

jmo

Yes, I agree it is a sad first reaction. I hope you aren't taking a dig at someone for having a reaction that isn't pleasant. I also didn't mention that the perp was a victim, but that the stabbing could be related to the huge scandal.

(FWIW, I have pastors in my family so I'm hardly anti-clergy.)

jmo

Oh no, not taking a dig at you or anyone Inthedetails. It's the first thing that pops into people's minds, with only the terrible priests being in the spotlight.

I agree. Looking forward to hearing what the perp is known to police for.

Father Claude Grou tells CTV Montreal that he feels 'fine' after a stabbing attack earlier in the day.
Montreal priest released from hospital after stabbing at St. Joseph's Oratory
Lurie reported that the assailant slashed Grou in his stomach and the knife broke during the attack.

Speaking Friday night, Grou thanked everyone who expressed concern for his health. He said he plans to return to work, after a short rest.

“There are so many people who helped me to pass through this moment, and now, my health is fine,” he said"

Police in Montreal have arrested a man after a stabbing at Saint Joseph's Oratory.

Montreal priest stabbing suspect to appear in court - CNN

A man who allegedly stabbed the elderly rector of a church in Canada during a televised Mass as shocked parishioners watched will appear in court Saturday.

The attack happened as the priest of St. Joseph's Oratory at Mount Royal led Mass on Friday morning at the church in Montreal, Quebec, police said.

The suspect's name was not immediately released. He is expected to appear by video feed Saturday afternoon at the Quebec Court Criminal Room. If any charges are filed, they will be determined by prosecutors, Constable Caroline Chevrefils said.

Police said the stabbing was not considered a terrorist attack, and described it as "an isolated act committed by one individual."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back