Found Deceased UK - Liam Smith, 16, Aberdeen, Scotland, 17 Nov 2018

Scottish person huggs!. I so remember trying to find out what happened to your sister.xx was finlaggan then had to change name as computer died then would not recognise me .So sad she was found near the ice house i believe.*advertiser censored*.I hope Susan got to see the sunset or sunrise. A picture that was put up by family *advertiser censored*

Kirrie....hugs back. I remember your other forum name. Which is more than can be said of my own here on Websleuths...had to rejoin. I remember how grateful I was to come here and see so many complete strangers taking an active interest in my sisters disappearance, and genuinely trying to unravel the mystery. Having been right in the middle of a police investigation, it’s hard. We knew right from the start that Susan had mental health issues and the outcome was probably not good. The police tried to remain positive, but went off on a few tracks that we knew were completely wrong...for instance, two sighting statements that sadly were just rubbish...and one or two other questionable theories that they insisted on following up. They searched Tentsmuir , but it’s fifty square miles of forest....needle, haystack etc. We did have a few questions for them when Susan was found but ultimately, we did not blame them for anything. My heart goes out to the family of Liam. It’s a relief to get closure, and to know that he probably died on the first day or night...and was spared the suffering of his family over the last four months. But it is just so very, very sad.
Thanks for your caring heart x

Why is it a shame? The general public are not entitled to know anything more than he was found. His family are going through a horrific time right now and people demanding all the details of the case is deeply insensitive imo.

If the family want to discuss what police believe happened that's fine but they absolutely should not be pressured by the public to give any further details.

Absolutely agree. Sadly, in my experience, people just want all the gory details. I even had someone (a colleague of my sister) call me to ask how Susan had been found. I couldn’t believe how insensitive and ghoulish it was. It’s almost like people have followed the story and feel they deserve the right to know. As the family, it’s the one thing we get to keep sacred - for them.

In most cases such as this we never hear more unless the family speak about it, which is a shame as there is mitigating factors whenever someone chooses to end their lives. They are legally bound to do a FAI (fatal accident inquiry) for all deaths that were intentional but only if they were in custody / prison at the time.

The procurator fiscal however will sometimes put forward a FAI for circumstances that indicate suicide if it’s in the public interest.

This case has been at the heart of many all over the world so I’d like to think of anything a brief one may be published, if anything to bring awareness and highlight mental health issues in adolescents.

I haven’t seen anything confirming it was Liam yet, however for them to approach the family there must be indicators to suggest so (perhaps his backpack nearby etc)

My thoughts are with his loved ones & friends & the poor soul that came upon him, I do hope counselling & the like is available to them if they need it.

From personal experience, the early indicators - before a statement is released - is the immediate identification of clothing and belongings, ( shoes especially)jewellery etc by the family. Height and build is taken into consideration, plus the fact that no one else of that description is missing and being actively sought. The family will not be able to view or identify the body. I will be very surprised if this is not Liam.

Last edited:
I dislike posting the sun but here is another article, just wanted to post this part:

TRAGIC DISCOVERY

Liam Smith: Locals horrified after body found in search for missing Aberdeen lad – as it’s revealed wooded area had been ‘boggy’ for weeks

Residents who live near the dog walking spot revealed the area has been 'very boggy' for weeks and is only just becoming passable - possibly accounting for the tragic discovery

Locals horrified after body found in search for missing teen Liam Smith

One resident told The Scottish Sun on Sunday: “I walk there all the time. There are so many people with dogs go up there as well.

“To know we live so near and couldn’t do anything. I didn’t sleep at all last night.

“We are sad for the parents. It’s used well by walkers, but there are bits that are boggy.

“You just keep wondering to yourself, ‘Did we see him?’ It’s horrible.”

Another added: “I saw the police activity and thought something was up.

“So many people walk dogs up there. I find it hard to believe the find wasn’t made earlier.

“As far as I know there haven’t been searches carried out here.”

Another added: “We don’t know where the body was found.

“You can get only so far in open woodland and after that there is very dense woodland to the top of the hill.

“If he was found there it’s understandable members of the public wouldn’t have made the discovery before now.”

Locals horrified after body found in search for missing teen Liam Smith

Very, very sad news about young Liam. Like many contributors on here I have been captivated by Liam’s disappearance and all the subsequent possible theories as to what actually happened to the teenager. Like many on here there was certain “strangeness” about the lack of information and the seeming reluctance to keep the public informed. I think many of us were convinced that “no news was good news” and that Liam’s whereabouts were indeed known and the family simply wanted complete privacy. So, to suddenly learn after all this time that Liam’s remains have been found is a real shock. Of course the details must remain completely private to Liam’s family. The sad reality is that for most of us we will all move on and Liam’s story will soon be forgotten. Alas, it won’t ever be forgotten by his family and friends. What drives a young man on the cusp of adulthood with his whole life ahead of him to end his days in a lonely remote Scottish wood? What I do know is that I suspect young people today are under huge pressures – much of engendered by social media – in a way that older folks like me never experienced at 16. We really need to do all we can to look after the mental health of our young people, look for the “signs” and give them as much support as possible before matters reach breaking point. I shall always remember the image of that young man striding into Union Square on his final journey. What was he thinking at that moment? Rest in peace Liam.

It is with immense sadness that I learn a body has been found, which is likely that of Liam Smith.

At 16 years old, he was still a child. Tragic.

My heart goes out to his friends, his family & all those touched by this awful event.

( I would also like to offer heartfelt condolences to you, Scottish Person. I closely followed the search for your sister Susan, here on Websleuth’s & was deeply saddened by the outcome..

It must be incredibly hard, though perhaps compelling, to follow the case of a missing person, particularly when so close to home & in similar circumstances.

Thank you for joining the Websleuths community. I’m sure your insight & experience will prove invaluable here. Bless you for following & contributing to our discussion)

Very, very sad news about young Liam. Like many contributors on here I have been captivated by Liam’s disappearance and all the subsequent possible theories as to what actually happened to the teenager. Like many on here there was certain “strangeness” about the lack of information and the seeming reluctance to keep the public informed. I think many of us were convinced that “no news was good news” and that Liam’s whereabouts were indeed known and the family simply wanted complete privacy. So, to suddenly learn after all this time that Liam’s remains have been found is a real shock. Of course the details must remain completely private to Liam’s family. The sad reality is that for most of us we will all move on and Liam’s story will soon be forgotten. Alas, it won’t ever be forgotten by his family and friends. What drives a young man on the cusp of adulthood with his whole life ahead of him to end his days in a lonely remote Scottish wood? What I do know is that I suspect young people today are under huge pressures – much of engendered by social media – in a way that older folks like me never experienced at 16. We really need to do all we can to look after the mental health of our young people, look for the “signs” and give them as much support as possible before matters reach breaking point. I shall always remember the image of that young man striding into Union Square on his final journey. What was he thinking at that moment? Rest in peace Liam.

Moira67, you have put into words most eloquently what I was wanting to but struggling to say.

There has been a worrying spate of suicides in young men in my area of North Yorkshire, 3 in the town of Richmond over the course of 2 years.

On a local level, the peers of these youngsters have worked incredibly hard to raise awareness of the problem & provide a support network.

Much more needs to be done on a national/global level....

It is with immense sadness that I learn a body has been found, which is likely that of Liam Smith.

At 16 years old, he was still a child. Tragic.

My heart goes out to his friends, his family & all those touched by this awful event.

( I would also like to offer heartfelt condolences to you, Scottish Person. I closely followed the search for your sister Susan, here on Websleuth’s & was deeply saddened by the outcome..

It must be incredibly hard, though perhaps compelling, to follow the case of a missing person, particularly when so close to home & in similar circumstances.

Thank you for joining the Websleuths community. I’m sure your insight & experience will prove invaluable here. Bless you for following & contributing to our discussion)

Bethan, thank you for your kind words.

I have to say, as a direct relative I found Websleuths incredibly helpful. Local people were putting forward tentative ideas.. much better ones than the police, it has to be said. It just gave me hope that with so many people talking about her, trying to solve it, discussing clues...we might find her, and we did. For a long time we thought she had gone off the Tay Bridge. It took me a long time to forgive that bit of water. When I first googled her name, early in the investigation it was a bit of a shock to see her here, but it soon turned into gratitude and a feeling of genuine care. I’m so glad my beautiful clever sister touched so many people in her life and death. Depression (such an innocuous little word) is a disease of the brain like any other disease. You can’t ‘buck yourself up’ and get over a heart attack any more than you can over severe depression. Praying Liam’s untimely death leads to more sympathy and understanding toward this killer illness.

I feel acutely bad for the family. I can still vividly remember the police producing a sealed plastic evidence bag, containing her immediately recognisable well worn trainers...(she was a prolific walker) and her son - my nephew, just breaking down. It was over, but it was just the beginning.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back