WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron,Media, Maps and Timelines *NO DISCUSSION*

MAR 15, 2019
Mary McGuire on Twitter
Today marks two months since #JaymeCloss came home. “Healing for Jayme Closs” community is asking people to place a blue balloon outside their home/business to celebrate her return.
D1Ukkw7X0AE3fu9.jpg

MAR 15, 2019
Mary McGuire on Twitter
Gymnasium at Barron High School is packed ahead of #ElizabethSmart event. @WCCO #JaymeCloss #wcco
D1vHJ4MWwAEictk.jpg

Haley BeMiller on Twitter
A huge crowd turned out to hear Elizabeth Smart speak at Barron High School. She’s here to talk to the community about how they can heal and move forward following the return of #JaymeCloss.
D1vF_i9UkAEoVw-.jpg

Alexandra Lehnert on Twitter
Hundreds have packed into the Baron High School gym, all waiting to hear from Elizabeth Smart. Students tell us they hope through this, their school, and community will learn how they can be there for Jayme, and continue to heal. #JaymeCloss
D1vFzBGWsAET3GB.jpg

MAR 15, 2019
Smart takes the stage, saying she’ll start by telling her own story: “I want you to understand what it means to be a victim.”
D1vJs7bWsAY6cKZ.jpg

Smart said dealing with the notoriety following her rescue was difficult. She couldn’t go anywhere without being recognized. “I’d never go back to just being that wallflower.”

Smart: You should never ask a victim a question that starts with, “Why didn’t you?” “Whatever they’ve done, they did the right thing, because they survived.”

Smart called #JaymeCloss a survivor. “Despite the horrors that she saw, despite the terrible things she suffered...she still escaped.”

Smart: “It’s important to allow (Jayme) space to reclaim her life.” She encourages Barron residents to write her a letter if they want to talk to her so she can read it when she’s ready.

Elizabeth Smart talks healing at Barron town hall as Jayme Closs starts to reclaim her life

BARRON - When Elizabeth Smart came home after nine months in captivity, she struggled with the notoriety that accompanied her abduction.

She couldn’t go anywhere without being recognized. Trips to the grocery store took longer. She was no longer a wallflower.

Her return was the beginning of a new journey, she told Barron County residents Friday.

“In my mind, I thought that I could just go back to who I was before I was kidnapped,” she said. “At that point in time, I didn’t realize that actually, that girl, Elizabeth Smart, who existed before I was kidnapped, didn’t exist anymore.”

Smart spoke at Barron High School to help the community move forward after the return of 13-year-old Jayme Closs, who escaped the home of Jake Patterson over two months ago. Patterson, 21, is charged with gunning down Jayme’s parents on Oct. 15, kidnapping the teen and holding her for 88 days in the Douglas County town of Gordon.
[...]
Smart, who is now a child safety advocate, on Friday encouraged Barron residents to respect Jayme’s privacy as she begins to heal and reclaim her life. She suggested those who want to talk to her write a letter that she can read when she’s ready.

Smart also emphasized that one should never ask a victim a question that starts with, “Why didn’t you?”

“Whatever they have done, they did the right thing, because they survived,” she said.
[...]
Now that Jayme is home, Smart said, it’s OK for the community to keep living. The family will need time to mourn Jayme’s parents, James and Denise, but things will get better, she said.

Smart also called Jayme an extraordinary young woman who will find her way forward.

“Despite the horrors that she saw, despite the terrible things that she suffered that are hers and hers alone to share, she still escaped ... she is a survivor,” Smart said.

MAR 16, 2019
Stay close but give Jayme Closs space, Elizabeth Smart tells Barron, Wisconsin

[...]

“I thought I could just go back to who I was before I was kidnapped. … I didn’t know at that point in time that I would never be that girl ever again, and that was one of the hardest things coming home,” Smart told a crowd of about 1,300 people jammed into the Barron High School gymnasium on Friday night — a community trying to understand how they could best support their own famous kidnapping victim, Jayme Closs.

[...]

Smart said she was inspired by the outpouring of support in Barron and by the strength of the girl they’ve rallied around.

It’s a time for reclaiming “all of your lives, because this has touched so many people,” Smart said.

[...]

After she returned home, she said, she wanted to live life to the fullest and didn’t want to miss out on anything. She appreciated the carpeting and running water in her home, and even homework.

But, she said, some people asked her why she didn’t scream during her captivity, why she didn’t run.

“I want to take a second and tell you, you should never ask a victim a question that starts with the words ‘Why didn’t you,’ because they hear ‘You should have,’ ” Smart said.

[...]

And as much as people want to keep publicly showing support for the girl, she said, it’s OK to take down the “Welcome home, Jayme” signs that dot businesses and churches.

“They don’t have to stay up forever, because Jayme will want her anonymity some day … nobody will have thought that you have forgotten her,” Smart said. “I know you all love her. I know you are all extremely protective of her and will defend her tooth and nail.”

It was the kind of advice the community needed now, a couple of months after Jayne escaped her captor, said Barron School Board Member Dan McNeil.

“We have to give her space,” he said. “Give her support, but do it in a respectful way.”

[...]

MAR 16, 2019
Elizabeth Smart shares message of hope with Barron County, Closs family
“I was a very similar age to Jayme when I was kidnapped and it was the most terrifying experience of my entire life,” Smart said at the meeting, according to WCCO.

Smart has been in contact with the Closs family personally and also visited law enforcement who worked on the case for the 88 days she was missing, WCCO reported.

Elizabeth Smart speaks to Barron County about Jayme Closs abduction
Smart spent a few days in Barron meeting with smaller groups, she didn't say whether she met directly with Jayme, but she has spoken with her through this process and calls her extraordinary... adding that she is a true survivor and there is no stronger praise.

Kidnapping survivor Elizabeth Smart speaks at Barron County gathering on helping Jayme Closs reclaim her life
"Also, give Jayme space and time to heal. Don't remind her of what happened," Smart said. "Because although terrible things happened to her, she is not damaged."

Smart encouraged members of the community to let Jayme have a normal school experience and friendships.

Smart spoke for 30 minutes and was ready to take questions from residents.

"It's so easy to caught up in thinking the world is a terrible place, but I just spoke to 1,000 people who care about the community and care about Jayme and that is inspiring," Smart said as she was leaving Barron County.

Last edited:
MAR 16, 2019
Elizabeth Smart tells her story, offers advice to members of...

[...]

“I’m not glad this happened, but I’m so glad she has you,” she told the crowd. “I'm so glad you all came out tonight because you care. Jayme will find her way forward. I hope you realize what an extraordinary young woman she is.”

[...]

Smart said life right now for Jayme must be “overwhelming.” She recalled her own journey, coming home to a closet full of clothes that no longer fit and having 20-minute trips to the grocery store turning into 90-minute spectacles.

“I remember wanting to live every second of life to the fullest,” she said. “I didn't want to miss a moment. I couldn't wait to get my license, to go back to school, to go to my first dance, to have my first boyfriend — all those moments you dream of as a little girl. It might sound crazy, but I didn't even want to miss a homework assignment.”

Smart said the community can continue to support Jayme by letting her get back to normal life — or, at least, as normal of a life as she can possibly live.

“You've gone through so much and you've pulled together and you've shown what it is to be a community,” she said. “As Jayme moves forward, even though you're like her extended family, it's important to leave her her space. If you see her you can smile, but don't stare. If you feel compelled to talk to her, write a letter, and she can read it when she's ready.”

[...]

“Despite the horrors, she still escaped,” Smart said. “That takes more strength than I could possibly imagine. She is a survivor, and honestly I can't think of higher praise than that. A lot of victims never become survivors. ... But Jayme is a survivor, and I know she will find her way forward and she will reclaim her life because she is strong.”

MAR 15, 2019
Elizabeth Smart visits Barron to speak on Jayme Closs case

[...]

Smart said after her return to her community people would want to talk to her anywhere she went. When she went to the grocery store people would stop and stare or they would ask her questions. She said that made her constantly reminded of the trauma.

That's a message Barron County resident Chris Muhonen said she will listen to.

“People wouldn’t let it go," said Muhonen. "And they would stop her and talk to her about it everywhere she went. So she says it’s okay to let Jayme go about her natural life."

Smart said when and if Jayme ever wants to share her story the only thing people should tell her is that she is a survivor and that is all that matters.

MAR 18, 2019
Alleged Jayme Closs kidnapper reveals what she did in captivity

[...]

Mayerle got the call from the Polk County Jail Friday. The caller said he wants to talk to Closs but knows he can't.

"I love her," he said.

The call lasted only a few minutes. During that time the man answered questions about the case, revealing why he confessed to kidnapping Closs and murdering her parents.

"Part of me, like, really knows I shouldn't be [expletive] talking to you. But like, I just didn't wanna cause any more trouble," he said.

When asked whether he had regrets, he said, "Of course," but would not elaborate, reports correspondent Jamie Yuccas.

[...]

On the same day Patterson apparently made his call to the reporter, another kidnapping victim, Elizabeth Smart, addressed Closs' hometown about coming together to heal. Smart, who in 2002 at the age of 14 was kidnapped from her home in Salt Lake City, Utah, said, "It was the most terrifying experience of my entire life."

Smart encouraged the community to respect Closs' privacy and avoid tough questions, to better allow her to settle in back home.

MAR 21, 2019
Jake Patterson's letter, phone interview 'pierce Jayme's soul' as he molds narrative
Marc Klaas has one word for what it felt like to listen to the man who killed his daughter: Excruciating.

[...]

"Anything he says has to pierce Jayme’s soul and pierce her heart," Klaas said. "When he says things like that, what is this little girl supposed to do?"

[...]

It's unclear to what extent Jayme and her family are monitoring media coverage of Patterson's case. But for Jayme, reminders of him would be a significant trigger in the early stage of trauma recovery, said Dimitri Topitzes, co-founder of the Institute for Child and Family Well-Being at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

This coverage could hurt her family, too, Topitzes said.

"When something like this happens to a loved one, it certainly represents a potential trauma for us," he said.

Jayme may be able to confront this down the line, Topitzes said, but she should avoid it for now.

[...]

Klaas doesn't believe Patterson should be allowed a platform, calling him "one of the biggest monsters out there." But Jayme and her family can take some solace knowing what he says could incriminate him further, he said.

Still, that doesn't make it any easier.

"It hurts your soul," Klaas said. "It gets to the core of being. It upsets everything that you ever believed."

MAR 21, 2019
Wisconsin social worker honored for her role in Jayme Closs rescue
48ea7724-fbf3-4096-8bbb-50bbc5ce4c9d-Jeanne-Nutter.jpg

The Gordon woman Jayme Closs ran to after escaping from 88 days of captivity received a statewide social work award Thursday for her role in reuniting the 13-year-old with her family.

[...]

Because of her actions that day, and her lifelong dedication to "bettering the children and families across the state," Nutter was one of six child welfare professionals from around Wisconsin who won a 2019 Caring for Kids award, according to a news release from the state Department of Children and Families.

[...]

MAR 22, 2019
Dispatcher who took 911 call for Jayme Closs' escape honored
55564337_2052423318207683_7887121571205087232_o+(1).jpg

[...]

Pullen has worked as a 911 dispatcher for a decade and said in an interview in January that she was just doing her job.

“This is the first time in 10 years I've gone into a full body shake and body sweat just because of the severity of the situation and how public it was, and her family was in dire need of finding this girl," she said in an interview with FOX 9 after Jayme’s escape.

[...]

MAR 21, 2019
Wisconsin woman honored for helping lead Jayme Closs to safety – Twin Cities

[...]

She was nominated for the award by a former intern, who said Jayme couldn’t have found a better person to help her, adding that Nutter has been a “role model for many social workers over the years.”

[...]

Amundson said: “Child welfare professionals are devoted to helping people overcome difficult situations and cope with the trauma they have experienced. They are the unsung heroes within our communities and I am proud to honor such amazing and compassionate individuals — many of whom dedicated their entire professional lives to the children and families of Wisconsin.”

Woman who found Jayme Closs honored for achievement in social work
The woman who helped lead Jayme Closs to safety was honored by the state of Wisconsin for her dedication and work as a child welfare worker, according to the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families.

Jeanne Nutter was among six people to receive the 2019 Caring for Kids award.

[...]

MAR 25, 2019
Jake Patterson will be arraigned in Barron County court Wednesday: Here's what to expect
Jake Patterson, the man accused of kidnapping 13-year-old Jayme Closs and killing her parents, is due in court Wednesday to answer to the charges.

Patterson, 21, is scheduled to be arraigned at 1 p.m. in Barron County Circuit Court. It is Patterson's first court appearance since he waived his preliminary hearing in early February.

[...]

The charges
Patterson is charged with two counts of first-degree intentional homicide, kidnapping and armed burglary.

[...]

The key players
  • The judge: Barron County Circuit Court Judge James Babler
  • The prosecutor: Barron County District Attorney Brian Wright
  • Patterson's attorneys: Public defenders Richard Jones and Charles Glynn
  • The sheriff: Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald
Will Patterson plead guilty?
While it's typical for criminal defendants to plead not guilty at arraignment, Patterson has claimed he will plead guilty.

[...]

What happens next if Patterson pleads guilty?
First, the judge would question Patterson to ensure that his plea is voluntary and freely given. If the plea is accepted, there would be no trial. Typically, judges order a pre-sentence investigation and set a sentencing date.

[...]

If Patterson goes to trial and is convicted, would the maximum sentences be the same as if he pleaded guilty?
Yes, the charged offenses carry the same maximum terms, regardless of whether he pleads guilty or is found guilty by a jury.

[...]

Can Patterson plead guilty and later change his mind?
Yes.

[...]

What if Patterson pleads not guilty?
Despite his previous statements, Patterson could still plead not guilty. If he does, there are two possibilities: His case would go to trial, or his attorneys could work with prosecutors to hammer out a plea deal.

[...]

MAR 25, 2019
Patterson court appearance Wednesday: what to expect
[...]

His first appearance, which was held over video conference, was held just days after his arrest on January 10. There, Patterson was formally read his charges of two counts of first-degree intentional homicide, kidnapping and armed burglary.

His second court appearance back in mid-February was brief. During that time, Patterson waived his rights to a preliminary hearing.

The third court appearance for Patterson will take place on Wednesday when he is expected to enter a plea.

[...]

If Patterson follows through with his claim, there would be no trial and a sentencing date would be scheduled.

If Patterson decides to plead “not guilty” with the option of tacking on "no contest" or "not guilty by mental defect" the case could go to trial or a plea deal could be worked out.

[...]

WEAU will carry Patterson’s court appearance live on Wednesday.

It's scheduled to start at 1 p.m.

March 26, 2019

BARRON COUNTY, Wis. (WBAY) – A man charged with abducting Wisconsin teen Jayme Closs and murdering her parents is expected to enter a plea on Wednesday.

Jake Patterson has an arraignment hearing set for 1 p.m. in Barron County Court. Action 2 News is sending a team to the hearing and will keep you updated.

Patterson has indicated that he would plead guilty to charges of 1st Degree Intentional Homicide and Kidnapping. The 21-year-old wrote a letter to Minnesota station KARE-TV stating he didn’t want the Closs family to “worry about a trial.”

Man expected to enter plea Wednesday in Jayme Closs case

MAR 26, 2019
Man charged in Wisconsin kidnapping, killings due in court
A man accused of kidnapping a 13-year-old Wisconsin girl, killing her parents and holding her captive in a cabin for three months is expected to enter a formal plea Wednesday when he appears in court for an arraignment.

Jake Patterson, 21, wrote in a letter to Minneapolis’ KARE-TV this month that he intends to plead guilty. His attorneys have not returned repeated messages seeking to confirm that he will do so at the arraignment in western Wisconsin. Prosecutors have said they won’t comment. Such hearings are typically procedural affairs, where charges are read to a defendant who enters a formal plea ahead of trial. Sometimes a judge enters a not-guilty plea on the person’s behalf.

[...]

MAR 27, 2019
Anger and anxiety grip Barron, Wis., as Jayme Closs' alleged kidnapper heads to court
The jubilation that accompanied Jayme Closs’ escape after 88 days in captivity has largely faded now, replaced by a deep anger toward her accused kidnapper and a fervent wish for the case to be over.

“We want it to end,” PB said Tuesday as she sipped a drink with friends at a local pub.

It’s a sentiment echoed by many in this small Wisconsin town, about 90 miles northeast of the Twin Cities.

As 21-year-old Jake Patterson heads to court here Wednesday, many hope that he delivers on his words in a recent letter to a Twin Cities TV station — that he plans to plead guilty to the brutal crimes to spare Jayme, her family and the community of 3,400 residents the pain of reliving Oct. 15 during a drawn-out trial.

Patterson’s hearing is scheduled for 1 p.m. in Barron County Circuit Court.

“He took something from this community that didn’t belong to him,” DG said Tuesday. “And it had a ripple effect through the whole community.”

[...]

(names changed to initials by me)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard