CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it depends what transpired, what was the criminal act and what was the motive.

I’m thinking more along the lines of LE might be on the alert for a bloody crime scene that was cleaned up. If a fight was involved, if Ben had an opportunity to defend himself, he appeared to be the sort of guy who wouldn’t go down easily. Saturday night, where and what was happening that Saturday night is my question because I think the answer holds the key.

It would be nice to imagine Ben marked the killer with bruises and LE is just finalizing the file prior to announcement of an arrest. It’s always easier to convict after the body has been found but it’s possible to proceed without.

I’d like to know if Ben was actually seen Saturday? Or, is someone lying? Haven’t heard of Ben’s Friday evening.
If what happened to Ben involved fighting, w/o a weapon, the perp would be equally as strong, imo.
I continue to mul “targeted” & can only conclude Ben uncovered things, at his job, possibly. Things that threatened someone’s position at NR.
MOO
Misty, it would be great if someone questioned had battle marks! Idk when LE actually got around to questioning people other then the “when did you last see Ben?”

Last edited:
I know so little, but long to know everything.

I don't even know which days were his "days off" that final week. Imo we can't just assume he had the weekend off. Due to the needs of livestock, some hands would have to work over the weekend.

For all I know, Ben's days off that week might have been Sunday and Monday. If he was off on Monday, that could explain why ranch hands, seemingly, didn't wonder why he hadn't shown up for work!

And if Saturday had been a regular workday for Ben that week, then he might have been seen at the Ranch by any number of hands throughout that morning and "2 pm" was simply the last time a cowboy could specifically recall seeing him alive. moo

I don't even know which days were his "days off" that final week. Imo we can't just assume he had the weekend off. Due to the needs of livestock, some hands would have to work over the weekend.

For all I know, Ben's days off that week might have been Sunday and Monday. If he was off on Monday, that could explain why ranch hands, seemingly, didn't wonder why he hadn't shown up for work!

And if Saturday had been a regular workday for Ben that week, then he might have been seen at the Ranch by any number of hands throughout that morning and "2 pm" was simply the last time a cowboy could specifically recall seeing him alive. moo

It was stated Ben had the weekend in question off.
Remember, as manager, specifically a new manager, Ben’s duties consisted of mostly admin work. He’d have purchasing, vet records, schedules to contend with. NR didn’t fill the manager position after previous manager left. That’s when they farmed out the hay operations to a local ranch & eliminated several jobs.
Ben would need to get up to speed upon arriving at NR, imo, requiring him to be in the office, not on horseback.
Come calving season, had he not went missing, I think he would have been out in the fields much more.
I think the “hands” assumed he was in the office, Monday morning & Tammy thought he was busy elsewhere or wasn’t concerned.
From what I’ve seen, the on site staff live quite a distance from each other, too.
I think his phone & iPad revealed his last known communications.
Personally, I don’t think LE believe the 2pm sighting.

You’re right, we really don’t know when were his days off. And as LE is not asking for confirmation Ben was last seen the afternoon of Jan 26th, I presume the information has been adequately verified somehow. Although I suppose nothing at this time is known for certain....

“Tyner was last seen on the afternoon of Saturday, Jan. 26, at Nicola Ranch, where he has worked as the ranch manager since November.......

.....Police say he wasn't immediately reported missing because he was working on his days off and may not have told anyone about his plans....”
After a week, search for missing cowboy near Merritt suspended

I notice the most recent RCMP press release does not mention a last seen date at all.

RCMP in British Columbia - Ben Tyner’s disappearance deemed suspicious
2019-03-19 09:00 PDT

Investigators from the Southeast District Major Crime Unit (SED MCU) and Merritt RCMP have been working hard to determine what led to Ben Tyner’s sudden disappearance in late January.

Tyner was reported missing to the Merritt RCMP on January 28, when his rider-less horse was discovered on a logging road off Highway 97 near Winnie Flats. Following his disappearance, RCMP, Search and Rescue, Air Services, Police Dog Services, and Volunteers combed the area, on foot, in vehicles, on snowmobiles, horseback, helicopters and utility vehicles, sadly Mr. Tyner was not located.

Early on investigators from the SED MCU were called to support the Merritt RCMP’s investigation, these investigators can now confirm that Mr. Tyner’s disappearance is being investigated as suspicious.

Sometimes at the onset of an investigation there are pieces that don’t quite fit and while there is nothing definite, they warrant further investigation, says BC RCMP Media Relations Officer Sgt, Janelle Shoihet. Now having had the opportunity to review all the pieces, we believe that the circumstances surrounding Mr. Tyner’s disappearance may involve criminality.

The investigation remains a priority for the SED MCU and the Merritt RCMP. In order to protect the integrity of this active and ongoing investigation, no further details can be provided.

Anyone who has information about Mr. Tyner’s disappearance is asked to contact the Merritt RCMP at......

I think his phone & iPad revealed his last known communications.
Personally, I don’t think LE believe the 2pm sighting.

RSBM, I have that hunch as well.

IMO, RCMP just don't publicly theorize without strong, though unrevealed, evidence to back their statements up.

I also think they've made this public announcement in order to send a message to their suspect: 'we're onto you'. IMO they believe this strategy will help resolve the case, otherwise they wouldn't show their hand.

RSBM, I have that hunch as well.

IMO, RCMP just don't publicly theorize without strong, though unrevealed, evidence to back their statements up.

I also think they've made this public announcement in order to send a message to their suspect: 'we're onto you'. IMO they believe this strategy will help resolve the case, otherwise they wouldn't show their hand.

I hope you’re right!
I have a close relative that is very high up with state police. I just asked him about “targeted”, here, at his department, “targeted” would mean the victim was known by the suspect. Maybe not known as in relationship, but not random!
I think we all know where this is headed.....
Many of us reached our conclusion on the first thread.

You’re right, we really don’t know when were his days off. And as LE is not asking for confirmation Ben was last seen the afternoon of Jan 26th, I presume the information has been adequately verified somehow. Although I suppose nothing at this time is known for certain....

“Tyner was last seen on the afternoon of Saturday, Jan. 26, at Nicola Ranch, where he has worked as the ranch manager since November.......

.....Police say he wasn't immediately reported missing because he was working on his days off and may not have told anyone about his plans....”
After a week, search for missing cowboy near Merritt suspended

The only thing wrong with this is no one knew he was working, as far as I’ve ascertained.
By working I guess the “rancher/s” that said he was gathering or searching for strays considered that work?!?
As manager, Ben was always on duty, imo. He might be relaxing but if needed for an emergency or decision making, he’d make himself available, imo. Most managers do, in any position.
Tammy, the office manager said Ben never left w/o telling someone & that it was “flipping” crazy. She didn’t mention he was working, iirc.

@MistyWaters imo, LE have no idea when Ben was last seen as they don’t believe the person that reportedly saw Ben Saturday.
Also, what do we see over & over again in these case? The last person to see the victim is not in a good position. So imo, if the person is telling the truth about his sighting, he’s a suspect. And, he may be the last person to see Ben, but when was the sighting? Friday night, Saturday a.m., p.m.?
So much is involved in “last sightings”. If I go missing & Misty is last person to see me in my driveway, everyone that drove by or lives close will be questioned, it’s unlikely no one else would have noticed me, imo.

Last edited:
He definitely could have been killed Friday night. RCMP did ask for footage from Friday Jan 25 - Sunday Jan 27. IMO if he were killed Friday night then the horse could have been taken out soon after. Someone claims to have seen him Saturday riding out on his horse statement is used as decoy for time/sighting. Horse was also dropped as decoy of accident. All my own speculation in this complicated and unfortunate case. I continue to feel so sad about this whole deal. What a loss this man is.

He definitely could have been killed Friday night. RCMP did ask for footage from Friday Jan 25 - Sunday Jan 27. IMO if he were killed Friday night then the horse could have been taken out soon after. Someone claims to have seen him Saturday riding out on his horse statement is used as decoy for time/sighting. Horse was also dropped as decoy of accident. All my own speculation in this complicated and unfortunate case. I continue to feel so sad about this whole deal. What a loss this man is.

Ditto Ze. In all the cases I’ve followed in my life, I believe this is the only case involving an adult where there has been absolutely zero negative comments.
We expect in most cases friends will say glowing things about the victim as well as any suspects. But, we also know in the course of life, we make people mad & not so nice things are often said about victims/suspects. Just depend who does the talking. Moo
All Ben wanted to do was be a cowboy........

Last edited:
Once Jack got to Ca & in Ben’s house, he would notice immediately if things (besides the phone) Ben normally carried or wore on his ride were still home.

I always go back to the Tyner family really having no hope.
Again, this tells me that Ben was aware he had at enemy in close proximity or Ben had discovered info that would drastically impair one’s livelihood.
All MOO
If Ben knew he had an enemy, he might expected things to get nasty but not result in his death, imo.

I don’t know if the article is still available in original content, if it was an error, or what, but it was reported Ben was seen Saturday night.
When I have time, I’ll go back thru links on first thread.

Tysm!

We know of his whereabouts on Saturday night, so that gives us an extra day," Dunsmore explains. "We are still looking at how he may have gone up here, because we're still thinking that maybe he was driven up. So we don't know who would have driven him up, or if there's anybody out there that maybe brought him up with a truck and trailer, and we're looking for that person if that did happen."

So, at this point they know of his whereabouts Saturday night?
Yet, they ask for dashcam footage beginning Friday.
Does this mean they now don’t believe the Saturday night sighting to be true?
I’m sooooo confused.

Tysm!

We know of his whereabouts on Saturday night, so that gives us an extra day," Dunsmore explains. "We are still looking at how he may have gone up here, because we're still thinking that maybe he was driven up. So we don't know who would have driven him up, or if there's anybody out there that maybe brought him up with a truck and trailer, and we're looking for that person if that did happen."

So, at this point they know of his whereabouts Saturday night?
Yet, they ask for dashcam footage beginning Friday.
Does this mean they now don’t believe the Saturday night sighting to be true?
I’m sooooo confused.
Again could just be someone claiming to have seen him Saturday night. And maybe didn’t.

Correct me if I’m wrong guys! Lol
So, the Saturday night sighting no longer stands.
Another person reported seeing Ben at 2ish Saturday.
Yet LE want dashcam from Friday forward. So, are we to believe both Saturday sightings have been proven false?

Seems mention of the Friday is a journalistic red herring. This is from the press release:

"RCMP in the Southeast District are continuing their investigation into the disappearance of Ben Tyner and are now seeking those with dash cam or other video footage from January 26 and 27 to report to police."

RCMP in British Columbia - Dash Cam Footage Wanted in Missing Cowboy Investigation

Still, that's a huge amount of footage, many who drive the Coq highway pass thru Merritt.

My guess is they didn't reveal a time frame or road location, to avoid giving away what they're looking for, but most drivers will be asked about time and route, and told their footage isn't needed.

Edited to change, remembered the highway bypasses Merritt, but many stop for gas and snacks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member