Cruise ship to 'evacuate its 1,300 passengers after sending mayday signal off the coast of Norway'.

da Maria‏Verified account @idamaria
Ida Maria Retweeted Tore

This cargo ship came to help in the rescue and has now gotten in trouble and is being evacuated. Timber has been blown in the ocean. Winds are picking up. Prayers for passengers of #vikingsky and the cargo.

Cargo ship w / 9 persons onbord went down close to #VikingSky . Rescue helicopter sent to save crew.

D2XQ2FHWoAEXfzg.jpg

2:29 PM - 23 Mar 2019
They are safe, according to Hovedredningssentralen.

The passengers on the cruise ship are apparently all English speakers (Brits and Americans).
None are reported dead, seriously injured, or missing.

Last edited:
Cruise ship off Norway evacuates passengers by helicopter
Authorities told NRK that a strong storm with high waves was preventing rescue workers from using life boats or other vessels in taking passengers ashore.

"It's a demanding exercise, because they (passengers) have to hang in the air under a helicopter and there's a very, very strong wind," witness Odd Roar Lange told NRK at the site.

image.png

Norwegian newspaper VG said the Viking Sky cruise ship ran into propulsion problems as strong winds and heavy seas hit Norway's coastal regions Saturday. (Odd Roar Lange)

is there no livestream?, I have been watching green tarp for a week in thailand and drill equipment for another week in spain and nrk is telling me not in your country I think I am close enough.
Livestream: Siste: Cruiseskip i trøbbel utenfor Møre og Romsdal

VPN should solve your regional problems :)

Update from the livestream: Bad weather causes the rescue to be delayed, since all passengers have to be rescued one by one by helicopters + the sinking rescue ship (all crew on this boat are safe). Aid is now also coming from Sola, near Stavanger. However, the situation seems to be under control, and the already evacuated passengers are in good spirits.

Last edited:
I have been on a cruise, and decided that I prefer to just enjoy vacations by train instead.

One worrisome thing is that many seniors who have disabilities prefer cruises. They are hardly in shape for a precarious rescue situation. I noticed that when a cruise ship off the coast of Italy had to be evacuated. I hope everyone will be safe.

Iv
I have been on a cruise, and decided that I prefer to just enjoy vacations by train instead.

One worrisome thing is that many seniors who have disabilities prefer cruises. They are hardly in shape for a precarious rescue situation. I noticed that when a cruise ship off the coast of Italy had to be evacuated. I hope everyone will be safe.
I’ve been on several cruises & notice a lot of elderly & handicapped persons. I have often wondered what would happen in event of an emergency, which seems all too frequent on cruises. Like you, I’ve found other ways to vacay.

I'm quite concerned about the Hagland Captain freighter that came to the rescue and then lost engine themselves. From the looks of Marine Traffic and Find Ship they're still being tossed around not all that far from shore, and from the looks of Flightradar 24 there's a chopper circling the ship.

Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map | Flightradar24

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:7.0/centery:63.0/zoom:7

It says it's underway using engine and it's far away from the Viking Sky now

SISTE: Politiet har fått inn ny mayday-signal

Norwegian news with apparently no-too-great Google translate saying Hagland Captain crew jumping overboard so they can get picked up by the helicopter, Flightradar shows chopper still circling so could be true, hopefully not because that sounds like a disaster all on its own, those waves are high...

Anyone here read Norwegian?!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood