Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

Article from Global News states:

"The defence stated Sidhu was distracted by a tarp flapping on the trailer of the truck, causing him to miss four signs warning of an intersection ahead.

Defence lawyer Mark Brayford said Sidhu was hired by a small Calgary trucking company three weeks earlier. He spent two weeks with another trucker before heading out on his own for his first time."

Truck driver in Humboldt Broncos bus crash sentenced to 8 years in prison

Last edited:
far too harsh IMO,

judge gave into media pressure,

the man should just be deported and be done with it,

having him rot in jail for 8 years on canadian tax payers dollars accomplishes nothing,

What do you all think of his sentence? It was pretty much what I expected.

I hope all the men and women who died Rest In Peace. My thoughts and prayers are with their families and the survivors who will have to live with this tragedy for the rest of their lives.

I hope all the men and women who died Rest In Peace. My thoughts and prayers are with their families and the survivors who will have to live with this tragedy for the rest of their lives.

I think the Judge considered the sentence very carefully and it seems fair. My thoughts are with the families and survivors as well, hoping they’ll continue to demonstrate the strength in moving beyond this tragedy. So many eyes are upon them and the fortitude and courage mentioned in some of the news stories is truly inspiring.

Doubtful Sinhu will spend the entire eight years in prison though. Between parole and statutory release, my calculator says it could be as little as 32 months, 1/3rd of his sentence.
Parole Decision-Making: Myths and Realities - Canada.ca

Last edited:
far too harsh IMO,

judge gave into media pressure,

the man should just be deported and be done with it,

having him rot in jail for 8 years on canadian tax payers dollars accomplishes nothing,

Respectfully I could not disagree more you cannot kill sixteen people and injur thirteen people by driving dangerously and not have any consequences. What kind of message would that send to other drivers?

I think it is a "fitting sentence" .... but I expected he would get about 4 years or so.

My biggest hope is that it acts as a deterrent to other (cheating immigrant type) drivers who skirt the rules to get their class 1 license. This is a politically incorrect thing to say but recent news and court cases have shown those facts ...... even the most dangerous driving charges in the CBC article shows 3 of the 5 were immigrants from the same "geographic area of the world"

Must say that Mr Sinhu certainly acted honorably afterward with his complete cooperation and guilty plea. If his sentence should be appealed and then reduced a bit it would not bother me either.

Marilyn Cross, whose son Mark was an assistant coach with the team, said seeing Sidhu go to prison for his death brings no comfort.

“The sentence is neither here nor there for me. Our son isn’t coming back. Nobody wins in this,” she said.

Raylene Herold and her husband, Russell, were among some family members wearing Broncos jerseys in court.

“For us, our life doesn’t change. Adam doesn’t come back,” she said as she broke into tears. “We have a lifetime sentence.”

‘NOBODY WINS IN THIS’: Truck driver in Humboldt Broncos crash gets 8 years

My heart breaks for them I can’t begin to imagine the loss they feel.

Respectfully I could not disagree more you cannot kill sixteen people and injur thirteen people by driving dangerously and not have any consequences. What kind of message would that send to other drivers?

no lesson can be taught here, and no message can be sent to other drivers....it was an accident, he made a mistake,

if he was drunk, then you could say "see, this is what happens when you drink and drive!!"

if he was speeding and couldn't stop in time, then you could say "see, this is what happens when you don't obey speed limits!!"

human error was the cause of the accident, that can't be corrected, and it never will be corrected,

no amount of education will ever prevent somebody from going through a stop sign, or a red light

nothing can ever be learned or taught from this accident, because it was just that.....an accident

Last edited:
Must say that Mr Sinhu certainly acted honorably afterward with his complete cooperation and guilty plea.

i agree,

however this was most likely guidance from his lawyer,

his lawyer probably said to him, "nothing will get you off these charges, so here is how you get the least possible punishment"

and that's what he did

no lesson can be taught here, and no message can be sent to other drivers....it was an accident, he made a mistake,

if he was drunk, then you could say "see, this is what happens when you drink and drive!!"

if he was speeding and couldn't stop in time, then you could say "see, this is what happens when you don't obey speed limits!!"

human error was the cause of the accident, that can't be corrected, and it never will be corrected,

no amount of education will ever prevent somebody from going through a stop sign, or a red light

nothing can ever be learned or taught from this accident, because it was just that.....an accident

We are going to have to agree to disagree on our different point of views on this tragedy. I do respect your opinion and I appreciate you sharing it.

which in my opinion is reasonable,

its not like he took a gun and shot these kids, its not like he was drunk or on drugs,

it was a simple mistake, get over it,

It wasn't a mistake. He arrogantly assumed that driving the backroads meant he didn't have to abide by rules of the road. He can rot in jail for 8 years and then return to his homeland.

I think 8 years is harsh but I think this will not be a popular opinion on this forum. Sadly, there are no winners here.
I have been in cars with sober, experienced drivers that have missed stop signs...luckily these have resulted in a horn blast at most or a sheepish grin and an “Oops!”. For sure the truck driver had no intent to break the law...he wasn’t speeding, boozed-up, eating or talking on a cell phone. He was just driving and made a mistake which he will carry the heavy burden of for the rest of his life. I hope he won’t have to serve the full term as jail is probably not going to make him a better driver or feel even more remorse for his error...and jail could even turn him in to an actual criminal where as he was just an inexperienced distracted driver on unfamilar roads, a driver that made a tragic error.
I hope his jail sentence is cut to a few years and I hope he can remain in the country...deportation after a time served is extra harsh.

My two cents because we are all human.

I think 8 years is harsh but I think this will not be a popular opinion on this forum. Sadly, there are no winners here.
I have been in cars with sober, experienced drivers that have missed stop signs...luckily these have resulted in a horn blast at most or a sheepish grin and an “Oops!”. For sure the truck driver had no intent to break the law...he wasn’t speeding, boozed-up, eating or talking on a cell phone. He was just driving and made a mistake which he will carry the heavy burden of for the rest of his life. I hope he won’t have to serve the full term as jail is probably not going to make him a better driver or feel even more remorse for his error...and jail could even turn him in to an actual criminal where as he was just an inexperienced distracted driver on unfamilar roads, a driver that made a tragic error.
I hope his jail sentence is cut to a few years and I hope he can remain in the country...deportation after a time served is extra harsh.

My two cents because we are all human.

He didn't miss a stop sign. He deliberately "barrelled through an oversized stop sign with a flashing red light." That doesn't happen by accident. That happens when a driver is on the back roads and assumes that there are no other cars for miles.

there is no proof of that what so ever....

"The driver of the semi-tractor unit failed to recognize that his vehicle was approaching an intersection and did not stop as required,"

Why did he fail to respond to an oversized stop sign and red flashing light?

The sun wasn't in his eyes. He wasn't distracted by a cellphone. He hadn't been drinking or doing drugs. Weather and road conditions were also good.

He must have chosen to ignore the signs.

The sun wasn't in his eyes. He wasn't distracted by a cellphone. He hadn't been drinking or doing drugs. Weather and road conditions were also good.

Apparently a tarp covering the bails of peatmoss had come loose and the driver had previously stopped to secure it. He claims he was concerned it had come loose once again and so his focus was on looking through his rear view mirrors to determine if the tarp was flapping. That’s why he claims he wasn’t paying attention to what was in front of him, including the approaching stop sign. No doubt inexperience played a roll as well as he’d only been truck driving on his own for one week, apparently. Nothing was said about why he was driving that particular route as opposed to primary highways but iirc he said he’d lost his way once as well.

Last edited:
Apparently a tarp covering the bails of peatmoss had come loose and the driver had previously stopped to secure it. He claims he was concerned it had come loose once again and so his focus was on looking through his rear view mirrors to determine if the tarp was flapping. That’s why he claims he wasn’t paying attention to what was in front of him, including the approaching stop sign. No doubt inexperience played a roll as well as he’d only been truck driving on his own for one week, apparently. Nothing was said about why he was driving that particular route as opposed to primary highways but iirc he said he’d lost his way once as well.

He had to come up with some explanation for ignoring traffic signs, but my guess is that he thought there was less traffic on the back roads. I would bet money that he blew through more stop signs on back roads and got away with it until he destroyed 29 families in an instant.

there is zero proof of that, and you can't assume that,

drivers all over the world go through stop signs and red lights every minute of the day, every day of the year....its called human error, and this was no different

there is zero proof of that, and you can't assume that,

drivers all over the world go through stop signs and red lights every minute of the day, every day of the year....its called human error, and this was no different

There were no external factors or medical conditions to account for his decision to barrel through the enlarged sign and flashing red light. That means, there was something about him that led to the decision. He is clearly a danger to others on the road.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back