GUILTY UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue l take with this is that a child can be charged from the age if 10. I don't think it's referred to as criminal responsibility, but that age at which a child knows right from wrong. There's a big difference between a 10 year old and a 16 year old - thinking of the two from James Bulger here and this one. It should be lowered from 18 to 16 imho. I can see that if the brain is still growing as the body does until c.18, that does pose some difficult questions. Really though sometimes the law is an *advertiser censored*.

Can people get married in UK prisons? Because I just read about Luka Magnotta (murderer from Canada) and he got married in prison and his mum attended the wedding...

The issue l take with this is that a child can be charged from the age if 10. I don't think it's referred to as criminal responsibility, but that age at which a child knows right from wrong. There's a big difference between a 10 year old and a 16 year old - thinking of the two from James Bulger here and this one. It should be lowered from 18 to 16 imho. I can see that if the brain is still growing as the body does until c.18, that does pose some difficult questions. Really though sometimes the law is an *advertiser censored*.
Its a difficult area all round though, because even though the minimum age of criminal responsibility is 10 in England and Wales and I think 12 in Scotland, they still have to be treated differently to adults up till they're 18, and obviously they have to be treated differently to each other too. A 16 year old isn't going to get cut the same slack as a 10 year old. I mean if James Bulger's murder had happened in Scotland, those two 10 year olds couldn't have been imprisoned at all under Scottish law. And conversely if AC had committed this crime in England or Wales its very likely he would have gotten a shorter minimum tariff more like 15 years.

I wouldn't like to be a judge deciding the sentence for a child who's committed murder, it must be nigh on impossible to get it right.

Can people get married in UK prisons? Because I just read about Luka Magnotta (murderer from Canada) and he got married in prison and his mum attended the wedding...
I'm not sure they can get married, well actually come to think of it Charles Bronson has been married behind bars at least once.
I do know that you get can special permission for photos during visiting. E.G a new baby being taken to visit a family member in prison, they can go into a private room and take family pics.
Edit: i think it depends on the prison. I know for a fact it's been done in Shotts, Friarton, Castle Huntly and Noranside when it was open.

I've heard of marriage ceremonies taking place in prison, yes. Charles Bronson might have got married in prison? They have rights..l forget the term..so they get half hour to have sex ..or at least used to!

How bizarre. I mean I guess they still have rights so it makes sense but I never really thought much into it.

I've heard of marriage ceremonies taking place in prison, yes. Charles Bronson might have got married in prison? They have rights..l forget the term..so they get half hour to have sex ..or at least used to!
Conjugal rights. I didn't think the UK allowed that, its not allowed over here in Ireland anyway! No sex at all once you're in prison, they can get married though.

Yeah he did. The term is conjugal rights/visits.
I don't think its allowed in UK prisons.

Yes. A civil ceremony with witnesses is all i think.

Imagine even doing that though? How strange. If you were the family of the non-criminal I very much doubt you'd want to attend.
Although in the Luka Magnotta case I referenced they were both inmates getting married to each other lol.

I looked it up and they can have guests who would be subject to the usual visitors conditions. If two sex offenders marry it may be a condition of their licence that they are restricted from seeing each other. They can request to marry outside the prison but they must bear all costs and ot can be refused on security grounds. There's a pdf on the moj webstir but it won't let me grab the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam