Identified! MO - Dixon, Wht/NtvFem UP10222, >35, off Hwy MM, upper denture, May'81 - Karen Knippers

Merryl Wendy Horowitz?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The hair color is off, but I don't know how much that would discredit the potential match. To me, the faces look quite similar. Worth noting that one reconstruction of Pulaski Doe has a less circular jawline than the others. I've heard that the jawline is one of the hardest parts to reconstruct due to what happens post-mortem, which is why I'm guessing the jawlines are that different. The P-M photo looks more like the reconstruction with the less circular jaw I'm referencing, which in itself is more similar to Merryl's jawline. Doesn't help that the only image available for Merryl's NamUs is at an angle that makes it hard to determine what exactly it looks like. Eye color matches, lower end of height is at higher end of UID's height, weight is within reason considering the gap in time, thoughts?

Also, Dolores Segura looks similar to me, but the eye color is different (green vs. brown/hazel), I wonder if that can change post-mortem? I'm not very knowledgeable on that, admittedly. The hair color difference is explainable, height is reasonable, the weight discrepancy isn't extreme. I wonder how she would have made it halfway across the country to Missouri, though.

Fair, I have hazel eyes and when I looked in the mirror I could see some greenish coloring to it, so perhaps her eyes were like that.

That's a pretty good resemblance, IMO. There's some difference in the nose area from what I can see, but Doe was beaten on the face so that could have affected the general shape of the nose.

I was looking deeper at Horowitz as a potential match to the Doe, and I noticed that there's a faint mark on Horowitz's face near the same spot as a mark on the Doe's face in her P-M (which I can't even look at for more than a little bit, it just makes me feel sad). I attached a photo. Of course, it's possible it could be a temporary mark or me exaggerating a slight oddity in the photo, but the low quality of the image provided of Horowitz + the distance at which it was taken in relation to the post-mortem leaves it open that this could be a mark similar to the mark the Doe has. Personally, I think there's a good chance it's a legitimate mark given the fact that there's not any other particularly noticeable marks or dark spots I can see like it on the face that would suggest, for example, a quality issue with the image. One image inverted and one in normal color. Just felt that I should point it out since it's interesting (at least IMO)

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-22_23-31-27.png
    upload_2019-3-22_23-31-27.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 19
  • upload_2019-3-22_23-31-39.png
    upload_2019-3-22_23-31-39.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 20
It really bothers me that I can't find any other missing persons listing for Horowitz. I've looked for a decent amount of time and I can't seem to find anything. Looked on newspapers.com as well with little success. I *may* have found a picture of her in a New York HS yearbook, but there's no name listed so I can only guess it's her based on facial similarities (very, VERY similar jawline and nose from what I can tell). Guess we're largely stuck with the angled image, which doesn't help much with comparisons. But hey, it's better than no image.

It really bothers me that I can't find any other missing persons listing for Horowitz. I've looked for a decent amount of time and I can't seem to find anything. Looked on newspapers.com as well with little success. I *may* have found a picture of her in a New York HS yearbook, but there's no name listed so I can only guess it's her based on facial similarities (very, VERY similar jawline and nose from what I can tell). Guess we're largely stuck with the angled image, which doesn't help much with comparisons. But hey, it's better than no image.

Attachments

• 20190324_175607.png
    20190324_175607.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 31
Woah, what school yearbook did you find that in? I think I found the picture of (possibly) Merryl in the yearbook for Valley Stream South HS, since it said she was in the school on Classmates. The nose and jawline look pretty similar to me (perhaps the chin is a bit different though, but depends), interesting.

Woah, what school yearbook did you find that in? I think I found the picture of (possibly) Merryl in the yearbook for Valley Stream South HS, since it said she was in the school on Classmates. The nose and jawline look pretty similar to me (perhaps the chin is a bit different though, but depends), interesting.

I think the nose looks closer than Dolores' for sure, but the forehead and chin are off to me. I showed Carl & he doesn't see them as a match.

The picture is from Springfield Gardens High School.

I know she was looked at as a possibility for Millie Doe, but wasn't a match. Merryl's family DNA is in CODIS.

I think the nose looks closer than Dolores' for sure, but the forehead and chin are off to me. I showed Carl & he doesn't see them as a match.

The nose is quite similar to the Doe from what I can see. The chin's a problem, I agree; I couldn't tell what the consensus was on the chin area between the reconstructions, as the Harvey Pratt one has a less circular jaw (Pic 1) than the others (e.g. Pic 2). Seems like the majority favor the more circular jaw, the post-mortem I can't tell very well; I see a less circular jaw, JMO though. The forehead looks similar to me but again the images of Merryl are from different angles than the angles of the Doe pictures.
876UFMO3_LARGE.jpg
876UFMO_LARGE.jpg

The picture is from Springfield Gardens High School.

Interesting. I saw her name on a record for Valley Stream South High School, IIRC (FOUND IT: Find Merryl Horowitz from Valley Stream South High School in Valley Stream, NY - no year listed, unfortunately). It's possible she went to Springfield Gardens, since it's quite close. The distance and the overall similar appearance make me think it could be her, it looks like the picture of Merryl you gave has a slightly cleft chin which I don't recall seeing on the NamUs pic (maybe it's faint though, or what I perceived as a cleft chin in the image could be a lighting trick).

I know she was looked at as a possibility for Millie Doe, but wasn't a match. Merryl's family DNA is in CODIS.

Would that automatically rule Merryl out? I don't think it would, but just asking to be sure, since her case was entered into NamUs quite late, in 2012.

The nose is quite similar to the Doe from what I can see. The chin's a problem, I agree; I couldn't tell what the consensus was on the chin area between the reconstructions, as the Harvey Pratt one has a less circular jaw (Pic 1) than the others (e.g. Pic 2). Seems like the majority favor the more circular jaw, the post-mortem I can't tell very well; I see a less circular jaw, JMO though. The forehead looks similar to me but again the images of Merryl are from different angles than the angles of the Doe pictures.
876UFMO3_LARGE.jpg
876UFMO_LARGE.jpg

Interesting. I saw her name on a record for Valley Stream South High School, IIRC (FOUND IT: Find Merryl Horowitz from Valley Stream South High School in Valley Stream, NY - no year listed, unfortunately). It's possible she went to Springfield Gardens, since it's quite close. The distance and the overall similar appearance make me think it could be her, it looks like the picture of Merryl you gave has a slightly cleft chin which I don't recall seeing on the NamUs pic (maybe it's faint though, or what I perceived as a cleft chin in the image could be a lighting trick).

Would that automatically rule Merryl out? I don't think it would, but just asking to be sure, since her case was entered into NamUs quite late, in 2012.

I don't know the status of Dixon Doe's DNA, so I'm not sure.

The photo I posted is most definitely the same Merryl, no doubt about that. I can see the cleft chin quite well in her Namus photo. I have the exact same cleft chin, it sometimes doesn't show very well in photos depending on the face I'm making.

I wasn't sold on this doe being Merryl from the original picture, but even more so now with the yearbook photo.

If you feel strongly enough though, I would definitely suggest you submit her.

Hello,
I'm new to Websleuths and Unidentified Wiki.
I recently created a composite for Pulaski Jane Doe and I wanted everyone to see her face. I tried to make her look more like her post mortem and more like a photograph. I submitted it anonymously in hopes that she'll be identified quicker. They accepted her as the new face of Pulaski Jane Doe on NamUs. :)

Attachments

• Pulaski.jpg
    Pulaski.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Pulaski Up close.jpg
    Pulaski Up close.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 17
Hello,
I'm new to Websleuths and Unidentified Wiki.
I recently created a composite for Pulaski Jane Doe and I wanted everyone to see her face. I tried to make her look more like her post mortem and more like a photograph. I submitted it anonymously in hopes that she'll be identified quicker. They accepted her as the new face of Pulaski Jane Doe on NamUs. :)

You did a great job with the new composite! Let's hope the DDP gets her identity back, what do you think on Dolores as being the UID?

Thank you! I cried for days when I saw her face on her NamUs as my composite!

Dolores Segura is a good match with the exception of her eye color. Her eyes are listed as green and her picture shows a light color but on NamUs Pulaski is listed to have brown eyes. For identification purposes I would send it in. On autopsy reports all it takes is one mistake on the paperwork.

I sent in a comparison for Denise Dorfman with Pulaski. She vanished on Feb. 9th, 1980 and her employment had to report her missing. She was 28 years old and her job was at a university.
Denise Holly Dorfman – The Charley Project

Attachments

• Denise Dorfman1.jpg
    Denise Dorfman1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Denise Dorfman2.jpg
    Denise Dorfman2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 21
Thank you! I cried for days when I saw her face on her NamUs as my composite!

Dolores Segura is a good match with the exception of her eye color. Her eyes are listed as green and her picture shows a light color but on NamUs Pulaski is listed to have brown eyes. For identification purposes I would send it in. On autopsy reports all it takes is one mistake on the paperwork.

I sent in a comparison for Denise Dorfman with Pulaski. She vanished on Feb. 9th, 1980 and her employment had to report her missing. She was 28 years old and her job was at a university.
Denise Holly Dorfman – The Charley Project

Denise seems promising aswell, did she had any scars? I don't remember if the UID had any.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back