ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm sorry @PayrollNerd, i did not mean any disrespect to anyone on this board. and for the record, i do live with someone with mental health issues (myself), as well as my son. i was only stating that i felt it was sloppy for this man (her dad) to say that he believed with 100 percent certainty that she had just taken off to become missing, and would come out one day in the near future, when she's not feeling so scared. that sounds to me, just a regular websleuther, that if he's 100 percent sure she ran off, then where did she 100 percent run off to? and above all, WHERE IS SHE NOW? SHE'S 9! this 9yo has been missing for about 2 months now, so if she really ran away, then where is she? i think that's all we really wanna know and are trying to help come up with ideas on how to find her. i apologise if my comment was harsh. i'm sorry.
That's not the way I read that. Here's the quote:

Chad said he's "100 percent" positive that Serenity similarly planned an escape from the Children's Home by having another child first run away. "That's just her M.O." he said. "She's going to wait until everything is calmed down," said Chad. "It's unexpected," Kasandra added.​

Source: 'She's Serenity:' Missing girl's parents share daughter's story

I read that as him describing her MO in general - that is, she would wait until things were calm before trying anything. I don't think he was saying that she is currently out there somewhere hiding, just biding her time for her return.

i'm sorry @PayrollNerd, i did not mean any disrespect to anyone on this board. and for the record, i do live with someone with mental health issues (myself), as well as my son. i was only stating that i felt it was sloppy for this man (her dad) to say that he believed with 100 percent certainty that she had just taken off to become missing, and would come out one day in the near future, when she's not feeling so scared. that sounds to me, just a regular websleuther, that if he's 100 percent sure she ran off, then where did she 100 percent run off to? and above all, WHERE IS SHE NOW? SHE'S 9! this 9yo has been missing for about 2 months now, so if she really ran away, then where is she? i think that's all we really wanna know and are trying to help come up with ideas on how to find her. i apologise if my comment was harsh. i'm sorry.
No worries! I didn’t think your comment was harsh. Maybe mine was to others. If so, I apologize. I interpreted the Dads comment differently. I tried to find a video of the interview. I wanted to hear the inflection in his voice so I could understand his experience better. I could only find a written interview which means it was the reporters words, grammar and punctuation.

My interpretation: Dad has an expectation his child will run. He doesn’t ever expect for this behavior to stop. After things calm down with her, meaning her routine is going smoothly, her behavior is more steady, expectations are met, that is when she will run. Just when you think all is good, boom! She runs.

I did not take Dads comment to mean that Serenity is still alive and waiting for people to find her. I thought he was trying to say, based on her past running behaviors, she hid well, with the expectation that someone would come find her, except this time, she got in way over her head. The procedures & staffing at the home were not sufficient to ensure someone was always available to find her timely. I don’t know that there ever could be unless there was one on one supervision.

So does anyone else think Lynn DiSanto is being alittle disrespectful to Chad and kasandra? IMO the senator is being to harsh....at least Chad has been involved in Serenitys life....Darcie and Devin....not so much

This has been a tough case . It has been hard hearing all the failures in Serenity's short life, from beginning to end and as you all know I can get riled up about different aspects. The odds were not stacked in her favor. And there is plenty more we don't know.

I'll be the first to admit I was skeptical of Lynne and still hold some reservations, but stepping back I have seen some light in the darkness.

Serenity's biological parents and one set of adoptive parents have come together. Bio Mom and Darcy have been in communication and Darcy and Bio Dad were at the search. They have their faults and failures (as we all do) some of which they acknowledged, others not.... but after all is said, I think there is some healing components within that dynamic which I think they all need. Lynne enabled that to happen, IMO.

From the article, it sounded like Chad was in frequent contact with Serenity and that was encouraging.

I am glad there is a strong woman that has stepped in and has become an advocate for Serenity. She made a call to action and dozens of volunteers showed up for Serenity in the cold, fog, and rain. And although they didn't find her, I was touched that so many took the time and risk to try to find this little lost girl. I wanted to take a moment and acknowledge that.

Tomorrow I may put on my colored glasses, but this evening I'm rocking my rose gold :cool:

MOO

In addition to RAD, Serenity was also diagnosed with DMDD.

Here is some info on this diagnosis:

Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD) is a condition in which a child is chronically irritable and experiences frequent, severe temper outbursts that seem out of proportion to the situation at hand. Children diagnosed with DMDD struggle to regulate their emotions in an age-appropriate way. In between outbursts they are irritable most of the time.

DMDD is a new disorder created to more accurately diagnose children who were previously diagnosed with pediatric bipolar disorder, even though they did not experience the episodic mania or hypomania characteristic of bipolar disorder.

https://childmind.org/guide/guide-to-disruptive-mood-dysregulation-disorder/#dmdd-what-is-it

NIMH » Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder

In addition to RAD, Serenity was also diagnosed with DMDD.

Here is some info on this diagnosis:

Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD) is a condition in which a child is chronically irritable and experiences frequent, severe temper outbursts that seem out of proportion to the situation at hand. Children diagnosed with DMDD struggle to regulate their emotions in an age-appropriate way. In between outbursts they are irritable most of the time.

DMDD is a new disorder created to more accurately diagnose children who were previously diagnosed with pediatric bipolar disorder, even though they did not experience the episodic mania or hypomania characteristic of bipolar disorder.

https://childmind.org/guide/guide-to-disruptive-mood-dysregulation-disorder/#dmdd-what-is-it

NIMH » Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder

Can you even imagine how any family could deal with this? It must have been exhausting.

Can you even imagine how any family could deal with this? It must have been exhausting.

I agree human, and often times the family unit can not sustain and it falls apart.

I don't know the status of Darcie and Chad's marriage before they chose to adopt, but Chad rebounded quickly per the article, "Chad and his ex-wife adopted Serenity in October 2014, and the couple broke up in early 2015. Chad and Kasandra began raising her in May 2015".

I have posted before regarding Darcie's ignorance and irresponsibility in not reading Serenity's file before adopting but to be fair, I want to acknowledge Chad's accountability in that decision as well. And I think he has taken ownership of that decision because Chad has shown Serenity his dedication as he is the longest committed parental figure she has ever had, IMO.

I have found that unless you have a child, family member, or closely walk along someone who has a psych diagnosis - one has no idea what it truly entails. It is heartbreaking, and devastating to put it mildly. There is still that strong stigma that prevents open discussion, education or understanding, and available assistance.

Here are some facts about mental disorders in U.S. kids:
  • 7.4% of children aged 3-17 years (approximately 4.5 million) have a diagnosed behavior problem.
  • 7.1% of children aged 3-17 years (approximately 4.4 million) have diagnosed anxiety.
  • 3.2% of children aged 3-17 years (approximately 1.9 million) have diagnosed depression.
  • 1 in 6 U.S. children aged 2–8 years (17.4%) had a diagnosed mental, behavioral, or developmental disorder.
  • For children aged 3-17 years with behavior problems, more than 1 in 3 also have anxiety (36.6%) and about 1 in 5 also have depression (20.3%).
  • Among children living below 100% of the federal poverty level, more than 1 in 5 (22%) had a mental, behavioral, or developmental disorder.
  • Age and poverty level affected the likelihood of children receiving treatment for anxiety, depression, or behavior problems
Data and Statistics on Children's Mental Health | CDC

'She's Serenity:' Missing girl's parents share daughter's story

And yet, families do deal with it. They don't have the wherewithal some people have to be able to get medical, psychiatric and/or the social help they need with these children who are damaged through no fault of their own. Can you imagine how Serenity must have felt? So much uncertainty and emotional torture for such a little girl and such a short life.

And yet, families do deal with it. They don't have the wherewithal some people have to be able to get medical, psychiatric and/or the social help they need with these children who are damaged through no fault of their own. Can you imagine how Serenity must have felt? So much uncertainty and emotional torture for such a little girl and such a short life.
Don’t all states have residential treatment homes?

Nothing in this case has made sense from the start, that is for sure. The ones that even allegedly saw her recently refused to be interviewed, never providing a reason that I have heard.

There have only been entirely conflicting "facts" as well. From the get go it was said that she ran off outside from the gym. It was some time later that was then into a hallway and not outside. It seemed at first they searched outside and called 911 immediately. Later that changes to they searched inside and did not call 911 for quite a long time. We then hear someone actually saw her outside and happened to pull in and advise staff. Did they have a clue before that or not? Why were these people not mentioned in the beginning? And so much more...

While some of this may possibly be able to be put down to miscommunication, there are these examples and many other things, too many I feel to be explained that easily.

The only thing I know for sure is something happened to this child. One day upon inactivity in this case or the closing of it, I hope the information is released where the press and public can see all interviews, statements, camera footage (if any) and more from this investigation, maybe then we will know what is fact and what is not.

All possibilities are still open in my mind. Nothing of the little that has been shared has erased a single possibility in my mind. That includes foul play, negligence, that she did run and freeze, being picked up by someone know or a stranger, and more.

Cameras and security, just for one example, might have helped with ruling out some of these things. I find it very unusual such a facility would not have them. This means too then that any person can drive into and approach and enter this facility where children reside??

jmo.

I agree. I wanted to add that while yes cars can approach, the buildings are locked to emtry from the outside. So they need a key, FOB or to be let into the building by staff. That is one bit of info that hasn't wavered.

Where I worked we didn't have external or hallway cameras either. They were only on the unit and in time out rooms. Maybe it was a funding thing. Staff would not have been able to just sit and watch it so maybe since it was a rare need they didn't put them there. Most of our kids that ran, went out their windows, when they were already outside, or during school.

Having cameras was still pretty controversial at the time our new building was built so maybe there was a limit at the time. I don't remember all those details since it was long ago.

How often would LE be called? What could they do? Assemble a search team ? And then the child is found hiding under a bed within half an hour?

Two hours seems long to call LE, though.

I don’t think LE would go for using resources like that very often

I worked in a similar facility in SD but our kids were 10-18 and our center was in town. When I first started the center was licensed as a group home but after the new building was built, we transitioned into a psychiatric residential treatment facility. Here is how ours runaway protocols worked.

When kids ran, staff could only follow to the property line. So if a resident left the property and kept running, protocol was to radio/call the supervisor so they could call the on-call person. On-call was one of the following people: the program director, associate program director, and 2 therapists. After that short call, the supervisor called 911. It typically took 15-30 minutes for an officer to arrive but could take longer if there were emergency type calls (domestic violence, serious car accident, assaults, etc.) Sometimes, LE arrived quicker if an officer was closer.

When we could follow the runaways, we still called on-call but then they might go look or call in extra staff to go look for the resident that ran. 911 was still called though.

I would imagine that BHCH would have something set up to get extra people to help search but who knows. Especially with their location. I can't imagine they have a bunch of extra staff on the weekends.

We didn't have a lot of places to hide in the new building but our old one did. In that case, it would be a short but thorough search 10-15 minutes. We didn't have large building and only a small fenced in yard so not too hard to search. If the resident wasn't found, we would follow the above procedures.

We were always told it was better to report it to 911 and then call back to say they were found. Especially since the arrival time for officers could be longer. The info went out over police communication but it was a brief description. If a child ran and returned on their own, a police officer (typically 2) came to talk to them. If it happened during school ? then sometimes it was one of the public school resource officers that came to talk to the resident.

I get that the staff thought she was inside but it was inside only one building because we were told the the doors leading into the buildings were locked. So she could only be in the school/gym building. I can't see there being a ton of accessible places to hide there that would take them an hour + to search. Plus, the staff knew by 11 am Serenity was outside because of the witness that saw Serenity at the cattle guard. So why search inside for so long? Again, conflicting info.

I personally, based on years of experience and training, believe the almost 2 hour delay was a huge error! Not only would staff know it would take at least 20 minutes before an officer would arrive, they likely knew about the incoming weather so that should have made the situation more dire. I get hindsight is 20/20 but I can't get over that delay. I don't understand how the Sheriff's Office spokeswoman stated there was no standard of even to call for help when discussing the delay. She is right for private citizens and such but as a PRTF or even group home, BHCH should have strict protocols regarding all that, not even just BHCH protocols but ones that come from outside agencies like DSS, licensing, accreditation boards, state and federal governments all can come into play with that.

“There is no set standard for how long people should waitwait before they call for help. It’s case by case with a lot of variables,” she said.

Children's Home staff called 911 later than initially reported

I do agree LE would likely get fed up if resources were wasted. They would likely tell BHCH to step up safeguards to prevent runaways as much as they can, change something but they would still assist because that is their job.

The thing is though, having 1 officer arrive by 11:30 am, would have allowed that officer to access the situation and then they could have gotten more ER personnel in to search the property and had SAR on standby. If she did indeed run, that might have been enough to find her alive.

MOO

Last edited:
Don’t all states have residential treatment homes?

I do believe at least most states do. I would have to look to see if all states do though. There are a few in SD and several in surrounding states. I have read about several all over the country. There are other in-patient/residential programs that are different from how BHCH is. Also, there are more intensive programs.

She ran away on a Sunday. I can’t imagine there would be the same amount of staff, teachers and administrators on premise as that of a weekday. Maybe staff thought they could handle it for some time until they realized they needed to contact the administrator for advice on what to do. Also, weekend staff may have been less experienced in this type of situation in moo.

Yes, there would typically be way less staff because none of the administrators, therapists, school staff, office staff,or any other staff would be on the premises on the weekend. It is likely that have an on-call system in case staff needs something and for emergencies. The on-call would likely be made up of the directors and therapists.

They also might have residential staff on-call system so that if an extra staff is needed that person has to come in. We had one where I worked. It was a sign up calendar where staff was on-call for 24 hours once a month. They had to pick a day they were scheduled off.

All residential staff receive the same training. It is all mandatory. Each staff has a minimum hours of training before they can work without shadowing staff and there are a minimum of training hours that have to be met each year. As far as I know that is all by law so shouldn't be different. The people I knew that worked at the SF Children's Home said they had the same requirements.

It is likely they also have a shift leader or supervisor and that person would be experienced in procedures and protocols. I think staff would be in huge trouble for not calling an administrator/on-call. So while some of the staff would have less experience, it is unlikely there would be an entire shift of on experienced staff.

One other point on staff, the not-as-good staff would likely be placed on day shifts if possible because there is more help in the building. Or they would be paired on a shift with really good staff. We also had our best staff on nights and weekends just because there was less extra help. Obviously, that all depends on staff availability. I know their SF location did something similar whenever possible. The night and weekend staff spend a lot more time with the children so it only makes sense to have the qualified staff on those shifts.

Our kids typically ran on nights and weekends too.

MOO

So does anyone else think Lynn DiSanto is being alittle disrespectful to Chad and kasandra? IMO the senator is being to harsh....at least Chad has been involved in Serenitys life....Darcie and Devin....not so much

I don't know about harsh necessarily but I do think she is avoiding anything to do with CD and KD due to the harrassment and threats she received from their family and friends. Chad and Lynne were talking at one point , because she mentioned hoping he would do an interview but then something happened there. My understanding there was also threats of a lawsuit so I don't know if she can say much about them.

There is lots of stuff about all that on her FB page.

I think she is more buddy/buddy with Darcie and Brian because they did the interview and continue to talk with her. Same with Rhienna and now Devin.

I think some things are off on the whole thing there. I didn't at first but now I do. Don't get me wrong, I am glad she is raising awareness and was fine with the search she organized.

MOO

They also said that they have themselves been out looking for her, so it's not as if they are simply sitting back and waiting.
Gee how wonderful of them. They didn't look very hard, did they? This whole thing is an uncaring joke. Little child in jeopardy. Horrifying.

Gee how wonderful of them. They didn't look very hard, did they? This whole thing is an uncaring joke. Little child in jeopardy. Horrifying.
I don't know where you are coming from. They have said that both they and other family members have spent time out looking for her. Why do you say that they didn't look very hard? There have been teams out looking for her without success, yet you say because two people didn't find her, they didn't look very hard? That they are participating in some "uncaring joke"? That's just too harsh. CD was so upset that he had to take time off work.
Nobody, not one person, is denying that this whole situation is horrifying.
I refuse to vilify anybody close to Serenity, especially CD, simply over what little information trickles out through MSM. It is nearly impossible to put yourself in their shoes.
I know there is an unorthodox family dynamic involved here, and that Serenity had a very unstable first 5 years. But please, don't take that to mean that CD and KD don't really care. That's just unfair.

When snow melts the ground is ridiculous, It is not easy to traverse. They may be giving it a week to dry out.

I get that and all of the other reasons. I just do not like all of the various reasons :) jmo...

I don't know where you are coming from. They have said that both they and other family members have spent time out looking for her. Why do you say that they didn't look very hard? There have been teams out looking for her without success, yet you say because two people didn't find her, they didn't look very hard? That they are participating in some "uncaring joke"? That's just too harsh. CD was so upset that he had to take time off work.
Nobody, not one person, is denying that this whole situation is horrifying.
I refuse to vilify anybody close to Serenity, especially CD, simply over what little information trickles out through MSM. It is nearly impossible to put yourself in their shoes.
I know there is an unorthodox family dynamic involved here, and that Serenity had a very unstable first 5 years. But please, don't take that to mean that CD and KD don't really care. That's just unfair.
IF this is true, why haven't they found her?! A little child wondering around, come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07