CA - Bakersfield 3: Disappearance of Baylee Despot & murders of James Kulstad & Micah Holsonbake #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only blood that was found in the vehicle was found on the inside passenger door. James couldn't exit from his door do to airbags being deployed. If that seat wasn't in a different position perhaps there might of been a different outcome. All shots that were fired were not to the the upper body but to the lower body. Now you wonder how far away was the shooter and what angle were the shots fired? Where was the shooter when they fire the shots in a car, on the street, lying in a yard? These are the questions you have to ask yourself.

Judging by what looks like the trajectory of the bullet that entered the car at the highest point (toward the front of the car), I'm guessing the shooter was on the street, fairly close to the car - almost in its blind spot. I'm also thinking it wasn't a lightweight gun, like a handgun - but something more difficult to maneuver?

Judging by what looks like the trajectory of the bullet that entered the car at the highest point (toward the front of the car), I'm guessing the shooter was on the street, fairly close to the car - almost in its blind spot. I'm also thinking it wasn't a lightweight gun, like a handgun - but something more difficult to maneuver?
Probably not. Those entry holes are pretty decent size. Most likely handgun, which have larger rounds(diameter) than any bigger assault weapon like an AR or AK.

Probably not. Those entry holes are pretty decent size. Most likely handgun, which have larger rounds(diameter) than any bigger assault weapon like an AR or AK.

I see. If a handgun was used in the shooting, judging by the size of the holes, where would you think the shooter was positioned in relation to the car?

I see. If a handgun was used in the shooting, judging by the size of the holes, where would you think the shooter was positioned in relation to the car?

(I mean how close do you think the shooter might've been to the car - in the street, a yard across the street, etc)

Last edited:
When I watched the video, it seems that SB owed JK money and he was trying to collect. He had called SB and SB told RK, he better not come or he’d call his boys....

That's how I understood it, also.
Some of my questions:
*Did Ryan and others present know there'd be a showdown and that's why Ryan took the female and left?
*Was SB present at the house that night? Did he also leave knowing James was coming over?
*How far timewise was the stepmom's house to where James was killed?
*Was someone lying in wait for James or did killer come from silver car?
*Was it arranged for silver car to stop James so killer had a good shot?
I'm getting the impression most knew or suspected what was going to happen.

Last edited:
How would the shooters know what car James would be in? Did he regularly drive Diane's car?

It's quite possible James knew the occupants of the silver vehicle or was waved down, but nothing has ever been confirmed. Before James left the neighborhood he did a u-turn, instead of exiting out of the neighborhood, he then pulled in behind a silver vehicle that was parked next to the mail boxes. RK then exited the neighborhood passing James on his way to drop off a passenger in his vehicle and later would hear gunshots after exiting the neighborhood down the street. RK would turn his vehicle around and go back into the neighborhood where he would find James in the street and that would be the last time RK would see James alive.

RK memory of the events that night have been in question possibly due to the traumatic event while others feel he has been less than truthful or knows more to story then he is willing to say. I'm neither the judge or the jury here, but RK is the only person that has come forward and share what the knows about the night in question.

James took his Mother's car without her knowledge.

A layout of the neighborhood has been posted in the first thread that shows the mail boxes and the parked trailer that James car crashed into before dying of his wounds.

It's quite possible James knew the occupants of the silver vehicle or was waved down, but nothing has ever been confirmed. Before James left the neighborhood he did a u-turn, instead of exiting out of the neighborhood, he then pulled in behind a silver vehicle that was parked next to the mail boxes. RK then exited the neighborhood passing James on his way to drop off a passenger in his vehicle and later would hear gunshots after exiting the neighborhood down the street. RK would turn his vehicle around and go back into the neighborhood where he would find James in the street and that would be the last time RK would see James alive.

RK memory of the events that night have been in question possibly due to the traumatic event while others feel he has been less than truthful or knows more to story then he is willing to say. I'm neither the judge or the jury here, but RK is the only person that has come forward and share what the knows about the night in question.

A layout of the neighborhood has been posted in the first thread that shows the mail boxes and the parked trailer that James car crashed into before dying of his wounds.

Thank you for clarifying. I had wondered if there was more to James driving Diane’s car. It would make sense he stopped because he recognized the person(s) in the silver vehicle vs someone expecting to see him in that car.

I've always wanted to know what prompted James to turn back around. Did he get a call? A text? I think it was provoked by something someone else did - maybe he was summoned by somebody after they had seen that he was by himself?

Did "the homeowner" know what kind of car James' mom drove? Did he use her car often?

For him to pull in behind the silver car makes me wonder if he did know who owned it, and maybe was on good enough terms with the owner that he felt he could meet up with them to discuss whatever was going on. Also possible that he had a beef with them and wanted to handle that - maybe pulling up behind them was both a defensive and an offensive move, rather than pulling up alongside them.

My gut is that he was "brought back" (or lured) somehow - maybe by someone who'd just realized he was driving the Fiat. Perhaps he flipped back around once SB had time to inform "his boys" that he was in that vehicle and either "his boys" or SB contacted him.

Another possibility is that James just flipped around after recognizing the silver vehicle.

I'm still curious as to why Ryan was asked to get the female out of there that night.

Do we know if his plan was to go back to the house after he dropped her off? (or if that's what the homeowner and the guys in the silver car thought, anyway)

Last edited:
I'm still curious as to why Ryan was asked to get the female out of there that night.

Do we know if his plan was to go back to the house after he dropped her off? (or if that's what the homeowner and the guys in the silver car thought, anyway)
I’ve always wondered if Ryan saw James and turned around to leave bc he was avoiding James. Especially since he said he figured James would follow him (chase him?) out of the neighborhood

It seems to me that Ryan at least expected, if not knew, that James would possibly be shot. Why did he not warn James? Does anyone know? R knew SB said he'd get his boys if James came over; R knew James was coming over.

I’ve always wondered if Ryan saw James and turned around to leave bc he was avoiding James. Especially since he said he figured James would follow him (chase him?) out of the neighborhood

Not possible he was following James out of the neighborhood but James got a head start and then flipped around the vehicle Ryan continued on and exited the neighborhood due to a passenger in his vehicle needing to be dropped off at another residence.

Not possible he was following James out of the neighborhood but James got a head start and then flipped around the vehicle Ryan continued on and exited the neighborhood due to a passenger in his vehicle needing to be dropped off at another residence.

Does this mean that James was already over there and the homeowner told Ryan that James needed to leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23