Texas Mom Mauled to Death by her own Pit Bulls

borndem

Anglophile & registered demwit
Reaction score
Texas Mom Is Mauled to Death by Her 2 Pit Bulls, Who Are Then Shot by Police
The animals had been under quarantine for weeks after escaping the victim's yard and biting one of her neighbor

March 25, 2019 10:38 AM

A 33-year-old woman was mauled to death Saturday by her two pit bulls, who’d been quarantined earlier this month after a biting incident in Irving, Texas, according to a police statement.

Texas Mom Is Mauled to Death by Her 2 Pit Bulls, Who Are Then Shot by Police

"The animals had been under quarantine for weeks after escaping the victim's yard and biting one of her neighbors
By
CHRIS HARRIS this link opens in a new tab
March 25, 2019 10:38 AM
A 33-year-old woman was mauled to death Saturday by her two pit bulls, who’d been quarantined earlier this month after a biting incident in Irving, Texas, according to a police statement.
The attack occurred at O’Connor Animal Hospital in Irving.

The victim, Johana Villafane, was visiting the dogs Saturday when she was attacked in an outside exercise area, according to the statement.
The animals had been under quarantine after escaping Villafane’s yard weeks ago and biting her neighbor, the statement says.
They were under observation for signs of rabies, according to police. The statement didn’t indicate how severe the bite to the neighbor was.
When staffers at the facility noticed Villafane’s visit was running a little long, they went to check in on her, discovering the mom of two on the ground and bleeding while her dogs attacked her."

How horrific!!! As dog-lover and owner of many breeds in my lifetime, I simply can't imagine coming to visit beloved pets and have them attack you. Just heart breaking!

Woman dead after being attacked by her two pit bulls

A woman is dead in Irving after her two pit bull terriers mauled her at an Irving animal hospital Saturday morning, Irving Police confirmed.

The attack happened at 11:45 Saturday morning, police said in a news release. The woman, 33-year-old Johana Villafane of Irving, was at the O’Connor Animal Hospital in Irving trying to feed the two dogs outside in an exercise area when her two pit bull terriers, a male and a female, attacked her, police said.
The dogs were already in quarantine for veterinary observation after they previously bit another person, according to police.

O’Connor staff and paramedics tried to rescue Villafane, but the dogs would not let anyone near them or Villafane. Irving Police was called in and they couldn’t get close to Villafane, either.

“They were unable to retrieve her to give her any medical attention because of the animals,” Irving Police officer David Dickinson told WFAA.

Police were forced to shoot and kill both dogs.

“I don’t believe that [the officer who shot the dogs] had a choice,” Dickinson said. “His job is to intervene to safeguard human life, and that’s what he attempted to do.”

Villafane was rushed to Parkland Hospital, where she was pronounced dead from her injuries.

Another article:
2019 Dog Bite Fatality: Pit Bulls Attack, Kill Owner While She Visited Her Dogs in Bite Quarantine Facility
Previous Bite
UPDATE 03/24/19: New information has been released about the previous bite that caused both pit bulls to be ordered into quarantine. On Saturday, while 33-year old Johana Villafane was visiting her dogs at the quarantine facility, the dogs mauled her to death. The attack occurred when Villafane took them for a walk in an enclosed area behind the building. The first incident involved her pit bulls eating through a neighbor's fence and escaping into the neighborhood.

2019 Dog Bite Fatality: Pit Bulls Attack, Kill Owner While She Visited Her Dogs in Bite Quarantine Facility | DogsBite Blog

I wonder if there is more to this story. Though every county can have different policies regarding dog bites, the usual procedure for quarantine after a dog bite is that the owner quarantines and observes the animal at their home and the usual duration of quarantine is 10 days. Not weeks. Most animal hospitals do not have the space, staff, or funds to personally quarantine dogs for people, though I do know of a few rare instances (here where I am locally) where they have agreed to do so. But it is not the norm.

I'm a lover of all dogs except pit bulls. I have seen first hand the damage they can do literally in under a minute. Any pit bull that shows even the slightest bit of aggression should be put down immediately because it almost always eventually escalates. I'd really prefer that they be neutered and spayed to extinction but I do realize that there are people out there who love pit bulls just like this dead woman did, pit bulls are "wonderful dogs", until they're not. IMO.

I'm just glad it wasn't the vet hospital staff, or the woman's children, who were attacked and killed by the dogs.

CDC - Domestic Animals - Rabies

Another article:
2019 Dog Bite Fatality: Pit Bulls Attack, Kill Owner While She Visited Her Dogs in Bite Quarantine Facility
Previous Bite
UPDATE 03/24/19: New information has been released about the previous bite that caused both pit bulls to be ordered into quarantine. On Saturday, while 33-year old Johana Villafane was visiting her dogs at the quarantine facility, the dogs mauled her to death. The attack occurred when Villafane took them for a walk in an enclosed area behind the building. The first incident involved her pit bulls eating through a neighbor's fence and escaping into the neighborhood.

2019 Dog Bite Fatality: Pit Bulls Attack, Kill Owner While She Visited Her Dogs in Bite Quarantine Facility | DogsBite Blog

Bold & underlined by me. I figured more details would eventually emerge. That is terrifying, these were obviously very aggressive dogs, I wonder how severe the neighbor's injury is. It's a miracle nobody else was killed.

I wonder if there is more to this story. Though every county can have different policies regarding dog bites, the usual procedure for quarantine after a dog bite is that the owner quarantines and observes the animal at their home and the usual duration of quarantine is 10 days. Not weeks. Most animal hospitals do not have the space, staff, or funds to personally quarantine dogs for people, though I do know of a few rare instances (here where I am locally) where they have agreed to do so. But it is not the norm.

I'm a lover of all dogs except pit bulls. I have seen first hand the damage they can do literally in under a minute. Any pit bull that shows even the slightest bit of aggression should be put down immediately because it almost always eventually escalates. I'd really prefer that they be neutered and spayed to extinction but I do realize that there are people out there who love pit bulls just like this dead woman did, pit bulls are "wonderful dogs", until they're not. IMO.

I'm just glad it wasn't the vet hospital staff, or the woman's children, who were attacked and killed by the dogs.

I also found this regarding where the quarantine took place. Is this what you meant about policies?

TEXAS
Update: The two pit bulls that fatally mauled their owner on Saturday at the O’Connor Animal Hospital in Irving had previously attacked a man in his 20’s on March 15 and were reportedly not quara

"That night, Villafane met officers and Animal Services staff at her house, and she was issued citations for having the dogs running at large and for not having rabies tags, McLellan said.

"The bite required that the dogs be quarantined for 10 days to be observed for rabies symptoms, he said, but the Irving Animal Shelter was at capacity for their quarantine space. Villafane was given several options for where to take the dogs to be quarantined, and she signed an agreement saying she would bring them to the animal hospital by the evening of March 16 for quarantine, police said."

Above is posted on the top right side of the page under "If You Are Attacked" VIDEOS - National Pit Bull Victim Awareness

"Had the Irving Animal Shelter not been at capacity for quarantine space, the woman mauled to death Saturday by her two pit bulls could have boarded them there — where she wouldn’t have been allowed to visit them — rather than at the Irving animal hospital where the dogs attacked her during a visit."

Woman boarded dogs at Irving clinic where they mauled her because shelter quarantine space was full, police say | Irving | Dallas News

Last edited:

I had the same thought. Most states let you quarantine your dog at home. I notice the dogs were not wearing rabies tags when they bit the first person. I wonder if they were at the vet because they couldn’t confirm the dogs were current on their rabies vaccine.

I also found this regarding where the quarantine took place. Is this what you meant about policies?

TEXAS
Update: The two pit bulls that fatally mauled their owner on Saturday at the O’Connor Animal Hospital in Irving had previously attacked a man in his 20’s on March 15 and were reportedly not quara

"That night, Villafane met officers and Animal Services staff at her house, and she was issued citations for having the dogs running at large and for not having rabies tags, McLellan said.

"The bite required that the dogs be quarantined for 10 days to be observed for rabies symptoms, he said, but the Irving Animal Shelter was at capacity for their quarantine space. Villafane was given several options for where to take the dogs to be quarantined, and she signed an agreement saying she would bring them to the animal hospital by the evening of March 16 for quarantine, police said."

Above is posted on the top right side of the page under "If You Are Attacked" VIDEOS - National Pit Bull Victim Awareness

"Had the Irving Animal Shelter not been at capacity for quarantine space, the woman mauled to death Saturday by her two pit bulls could have boarded them there — where she wouldn’t have been allowed to visit them — rather than at the Irving animal hospital where the dogs attacked her during a visit."

Woman boarded dogs at Irving clinic where they mauled her because shelter quarantine space was full, police say | Irving | Dallas News

Thank you for posting these additional details! Yes now this makes more sense, I knew there had to be more to it.

So the dogs had attacked BEFORE the most current incident and were not properly quarantined. That's why she was given citations and told to have them quarantined somewhere else. Here in my county, if we received multiple calls about repeat attacks, our Animal Enforcement staff would do the same, require quarantine for at least the 10 days, the Health Department would pay for the quarantine if the facility couldn't cover the cost, and in the meantime, start legal action to remove the dog from the owner permanently. I don't know if that was the plan in this case but clearly these dogs were dangerous.

I'm a little annoyed that MSM is alluding to any blame on anyone besides the woman who owned the dogs. "If they hadn't been at full capacity..." what a bunch of BS! How about if the woman had been responsible and recognized that her dogs were dangerous not only to the public but also to herself, and had them put down, she would still be alive today. Instead, she is now dead in her early 30's, leaving her own children without their mother. Very sad situation all the way around. All IMO.

This reminds me of the Diane Whipple case:
<snip>
On January 26, 2001, after returning home with bags of groceries, Whipple was attacked by the two dogs in the hallway of her apartment building. The dogs were cared for by neighbors Marjorie Knoller and her husband Robert Noel. Knoller, who was known for holding aggressively homophobic views, stood by and did nothing.[4][5]

The dogs' actual owner, Paul Schneider, was a high-ranking member of the prison gang the Aryan Brotherhood who was serving a life sentence in Pelican Bay State Prison. Schneider and his cellmate Dale Bretches were attempting to start an illegal Presa Canario dog-fighting business from prison. They initially asked acquaintances Janet Coumbs and Hard Times Kennel owner/breeder James Kolber of Akron, Ohio to raise the dogs during their incarceration. Against Kolber's advice, Coumbs chained the dogs in a remote corner of the farm, which caused them to become even more aggressive. After Coumbs fell out of favor with Schneider,[5] attorneys Noel and Knoller agreed to take possession of the dogs. They had become acquainted with Schneider while doing legal work for prisoners, and had adopted Schneider (then age 38) as their legal son a few days before the mauling. Bane, the larger of the dogs, weighed 140 pounds (64 kg).[6]

Just prior to the attack, Knoller was taking the dogs up to the roof;[3] Bane – and possibly Hera – attacked Whipple in the hallway.[4] (Hera's role in the mauling has never been firmly established.) Whipple suffered a total of 77 wounds to every part of her body except her scalp and bottoms of her feet. Another neighbor called 911 after hearing Whipple's screams.[7] Whipple died hours later at San Francisco General Hospital from "loss of blood from multiple traumatic injuries (dog bite wounds)".[5] <snip>
Death of Diane Whipple - Wikipedia
Aggressive/aggressively trained dogs- not good.

No, no, no.... not in a trillion years will I or anyone I love EVER be around any Pit Bull. NO.

I hear ya! I feel the same way. Though my sister and I go round and round about this. She adopted a pit bull five years ago, just as my daughter was being born. I used to visit her a lot, but when she got this dog I stopped going to her house. Believe it or not, this dog has come between us. She is upset with me and is offended that "I think so little of her "scary" dog." I've tried to explain my position but we just go round and round. Five years later, countless pit bull mauling in the news and still ...our relationship remains strained. I refuse to be around that dog and I will never let my daughter around him either. You cannot be too safe. I've read about it way TOO many times. I respect other people that choose to have them as pets, but I hope they respect that I want no part of it.

I feel so bad for her children and for her. It's really sad.

^^Moo, Imo, Jmo, Etc^^

No, no, no.... not in a trillion years will I or anyone I love EVER be around any Pit Bull. NO.

Last year my boss adopted a pit bull mix puppy. He brings her to the office every day, but most days he is in the field so it’s just me and her. I have to be honest, the situation is stressful for me as someone who is not used to being around dogs in general, let alone pit bulls. She sits at the door and barks and growls at anyone that walks by. And forget it if someone actually comes inside. She goes nuts barking and growling. It’s really embarrassing and I feel terrible for customers who are clearly uncomfortable with the situation, but what can I do besides hope she wont ever be able to get over the counter to where the customers are.

I know it is a controversial topic, but pit bulls are too unpredictable for my comfort. So sad this woman’s children are without their mom.

We have a homeowner in our neighborhood who owns one. He wrangled his way onto the HOA board so he could convince board members to let him build a fence so he could keep it outside. I voted "no" and he's behaved hatefully towards me ever since. No one ever sees the dog, including his friends or neighbors. If you go to his house, you have to call him first so he can lock the dog away to open the door. I had to drop off some papers once and didn't call ahead. He answered the door very frightened, grabbed the papers and told me to leave and never come again w/o calling because his dog is dangerous. He and his wife have a couple of young kids. IDK, makes no sense to me.

What kind of person keeps a dog like that as a pet? What does that say about him/her? That they're anti-social? Or is it some kind of power trip? Is it some form of compensation for feeling inadequate?

We have a homeowner in our neighborhood who owns one. He wrangled his way onto the HOA board so he could convince board members to let him build a fence so he could keep it outside. I voted "no" and he's behaved hatefully towards me ever since. No one ever sees the dog, including his friends or neighbors. If you go to his house, you have to call him first so he can lock the dog away to open the door. I had to drop off some papers once and didn't call ahead. He answered the door very frightened, grabbed the papers and told me to leave and never come again w/o calling because his dog is dangerous. He and his wife have a couple of young kids. IDK, makes no sense to me.

What kind of person keeps a dog like that as a pet? What does that say about him/her? That they're anti-social? Or is it some kind of power trip?

All I can think is the dog becomes more aggressive, perhaps due to the conditions it lives in?
I don’t mean the dog is being abused, rather lack of socialization, perhaps?
Moo

Check this link out! The man knew what would probably happen!

Dog would attack woman only when she drank. Winchester husband charged after wife dies.

Last edited:
I hear ya! I feel the same way. Though my sister and I go round and round about this. She adopted a pit bull five years ago, just as my daughter was being born. I used to visit her a lot, but when she got this dog I stopped going to her house. Believe it or not, this dog has come between us. She is upset with me and is offended that "I think so little of her "scary" dog." I've tried to explain my position but we just go round and round. Five years later, countless pit bull mauling in the news and still ...our relationship remains strained. I refuse to be around that dog and I will never let my daughter around him either. You cannot be too safe. I've read about it way TOO many times. I respect other people that choose to have them as pets, but I hope they respect that I want no part of it.

I feel so bad for her children and for her. It's really sad.

^^Moo, Imo, Jmo, Etc^^

It is SO sad... ITA... I had a friend years ago who got two "Pitties" and then proceeded to have two babies. Ummmm, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I never visited that home again.

It is SO sad... ITA... I had a friend years ago who got two "Pitties" and then proceeded to have two babies. Ummmm, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I never visited that home again.
And Rachel Ray is actively promoting them as pets, today she had one as a guest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back