TX - Former NFL Antonio Armstrong & wife Dawn, both 42, fatally shot, Houston, *son charged* 29 Jul 2016 *Mistrials, 3rd trial in 2023 Guilty*

Son accused of murdering his parents speaks out.

Houston teen accused of killing both his parents speaks out

Not sure what I think in this case. I don’t want it to be their son, but why would LE rush to judgment in accusing him?
Wow. The video is interesting. AJ seems sincere and a good kid. His demeanor isn't reminiscent of killers who have in the past appeared on camera feigning innocence.

I do have trouble believing a man of Antonio's character would be involved in a prostitution ring. No substantiation of this other than the word of one woman (Maxine)? Has anyone contacted the people she was able to provide names and phone numbers for?

I do understand why LE suspect AJ. The house had an alarm system which had to be disarmed before AJ could open the door for LE. Antonio and Dawn were shot with their own gun and there was no sign of a break-in. The gun was found in the house.

But, the bullet holes found in the floor of AJ's room and in a pillow and comforter in his closet appear to support AJ. It wouldn't be unusual to find a comforter in his closet in July; he may not want a heavy comforter on his bed in the warmest months. And, having an extra pillow in the closet isn't unusual. The bullet holes suggest the killer knew the Armstrongs had a teenage son and were looking for him to eliminate a potential witness.

Are LE thinking the bullet holes in AJ's room look staged? Could be. I'm on the fence now.

The interview video was very enlightening. I am thinking he has a pretty good defense team who are using some good strategies. When I first heard about the interview I wondered why his attorneys would allow this, and expected to NOT hear one iota about that night. And even though they prefaced it with the statement that he would not be talking about the details of the crime, he did refer to them, in a fairly convincing way.

The family friend who is claiming there is a connection to a prostitution ring seems to be a wild card, not sure what to make of that info. I have no idea if LE thoroughly investigated that claim. Apparently LE DID disclose to the defense that this witness came forward several months after the murders, but the suspect’s attornies admitted they made a mistake in not following up on that info. Now they are protesting they did not get enough details from the prosecution, but seems to me the defense dropped the ball on that. This interview certainly adds some fodder for thought and discussion about a tragic case that has defied understanding on the part of the public, ie WS members.

Well just checked the court site and it has no court date since his last one on 9/17 until his trial on 3/29/19. But it does say "To be Set". So not sure if that's a go or not. The docket doesn't have anything past 9/17. I'll put him on my "daily list" to look up JUST in case they stick a date in there.
From the court:

Date Court Post Jdgm Docket Type Reason Results Defendant Future Date Comments Attorney Appearance Indicator
3/29/2019 09:00 AM 178 Trial Docket Jury Trial Data Not Entered To Be Set

9/17/2018 09:00 AM 178 Master Docket Motion Hearing Reset By Court Present BRADY JTRL3/29 Present

link: Office of Harris County District Clerk - Chris Daniel | Search Our Records

If he's innocent, I hope that truth will out. Evidence seems to indicate otherwise, MOO. If he's guilty and they get him off, I don't believe we've heard the last of this young man. Not by a long shot. MOO

Houston teen murder suspect's rights were violated: Lawyers

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) --
Attorneys for Antonio Armstrong, Jr. say the 19-year-old's rights were violated during his juvenile hearing that happened nearly two years ago.
On Tuesday, the defense filed a motion to quash, suppress and/or dismiss the juvenile certification hearing on March 8, 2017, in which a judge decided AJ should be tried as an adult.
[.....]
AJ was last in court in September when his attorneys filed a motion to drop the murder charges, claiming prosecutors kept key witness evidence and recordings from the defense for months. The motion was denied.
[.....]
While defense attorney Rick DeToto waits for the judge to review their latest motion, he continues preparing for the trial set to start on March 29.
[.....]
If AJ's case goes back to juvenile court, there will be another certification hearing.

Tuesday, March 26th:
*Motion to Suppress Hearing (@ 9am CT) – TX – Antonio & Dawn Armstrong (both 42) (July 29, 2016, Houston) – Antonio “A.J.” Armstrong, Jr. (18/16 @ time of crime) arrested (7/29/16), charged (8/1/16) & arraigned (7/26/17) with capital murder. Plead not guilty. $200K bond.
Judge rules teen to stand trial as adult. Posted bond (4/12/17) & released-terms house arrest & to wear GPS ankle monitor; random drug testing.
Motion to Suppress hearing on 3/26. Trial starts 3/29.

Trial starts THIS FRIDAY, March 29.
This is a heartbreaking case that is local to me.
I know some folks who went to the Armstrongs’ gym and trained with Mr. Armstrong. I have not discussed this case with them.
I soooo don’t want the son to be guilty of murdering his parents, and I could not have fulfilled my duty as a juror impartially if I had been called for this case.
Have to put my trust in the system and see how it plays out.
In either case, the loss is still very tragic on so many levels.

Trial starts THIS FRIDAY, March 29.
This is a heartbreaking case that is local to me.
I know some folks who went to the Armstrongs’ gym and trained with Mr. Armstrong. I have not discussed this case with them.
I soooo don’t want the son to be guilty of murdering his parents, and I could not have fulfilled my duty as a juror impartially if I had been called for this case.
Have to put my trust in the system and see how it plays out.
In either case, the loss is still very tragic on so many levels.

I feel the same way. I am also local and have friends that knew the Armstrong's and their kids knew he son.

Any update on what happened yesterday in court? TIA! :)

Thank you CocoChanel. Was just coming back to post an article on this. Yes, postponed until today, 3/27.

Wednesday, March 27th:
*Motion to Suppress Hearing (@ 9am CT) – TX – Antonio & Dawn Armstrong (both 42) (July 29, 2016, Houston) – Antonio “A.J.” Armstrong, Jr. (18/16 @ time of crime) arrested (7/29/16), charged (8/1/16) & arraigned (7/26/17) with capital murder. Plead not guilty. $200K bond. Harris County
Judge rules teen to stand trial as adult. Posted bond (4/12/17) & released-terms house arrest & to wear GPS ankle monitor; random drug testing.
Motion to Suppress hearing on 3/26. Trial starts 3/29.
3/26/19 Update: Discrepancy over evidence. Prosecutors and AJ's lawyers argued over what a police officer said AJ said the night his parents were murdered. Judge will hear the defense's motion to quash or dismiss the adult certification hearing that happened more than two years ago, on March 8, 2017. The trial is still set to start Friday. Because of the publicity of this case, 120 men and women will be brought in for jury selection. That's double the amount of people called in during the standard jury selection process. Hearing postponed to 3/27.

Teen accused of killing parents to stand trial as adult

HOUSTON - There are new developments in a 2016 homicide case: a teenager charged with murdering his parents will stand trial as an adult.

During a hearing Wednesday, a judge denied the motion to move Antonio Armstrong Jr.'s case back to juvenile court.
[.....]
Jury selection begins Friday and the trial will begin with opening statements Tuesday.

Attorneys believe the trial could last a month.

Friday, March 29th:
*Jury Trial set to begin (@ 9am CT) – TX – Antonio & Dawn Armstrong (both 42) (July 29, 2016, Houston) – Antonio “A.J.” Armstrong, Jr. (18/16 @ time of crime) arrested (7/29/16), charged (8/1/16) & arraigned (7/26/17) with capital murder. Plead not guilty. $200K bond.
Trial starts 3/29/19 with jury selection. Opening statements on Tuesday, 4/2. Trial could last a month.

I just watched the video. Jury selection is underway, 120 are in the process of being interviewed to whittle that number down to the needed 14 jurists. Really that’s all that was said, not much else other than a bit of the back story of this crime.

Can't access this article - was wondering if it had anything about how the jury selection is going.

Capital murder trial underway for teen accused of killing parents in 2016

TIA! :)

The reporter said that the prosecutors stated jury selection is the most important day of the trial. AJ was attentive and took notes during the procedure of questioning potential jurors. Reporter also said about a quarter of the 120 called for the jury pool claimed that they had seen this case on the news. No indication if any jurors were chosen yet.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347
Back