IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #4 * ALL CHARGES DROPPED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't get it. Did he orchestrate the attack or not??

The thing is, most of here on WS know that the media can get things wrong. We see mistakes in reporting on almost every case we follow, and we prefer primary sources like quotes, documents, etc. in our discussions and in forming our opinions.

In this case, we had primary sources! We had his account of the crime that didn't make sense, we had his strange TV interview, we had video (or lack of video) of the crime scene and surrounding area, etc. We even had weather reports that worked against his story! There was plenty of stuff that made him look like a hoaxer.

So...now he isn't one? What did we miss?

jmo

Prosecutor's statement- "After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case."

The only definition of 'disposition' that would fit is- "final arrangement : settlement", and yet they are not saying that he pled guilty to anything. His lawyers are yelling "innocent man" all over the place, yet no new evidence to exonerate him is presented. No technicalities of improper handling of procedures is being brought out. I can see dropping some charges after further consideration or as a plea- but ALL of them and with no legal or even common sense explanation?

ABC News‏Verified account @ABC
JUST IN: Smollett family statement: "Our son and brother is an innocent man whose name and character has been unjustly smeared." http://abcn.ws/2FCG6Hq

D2mH6QDWoAAZr6Z.jpg

11:44 AM - 26 Mar 2019

My stomach is sorry I just ate lunch.:(

Prosecutor's statement- "After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case."

The only definition of 'disposition' that would fit is- "final arrangement : settlement", and yet they are not saying that he pled guilty to anything. His lawyers are yelling "innocent man" all over the place, yet no new evidence to exonerate him is presented. No technicalities of improper handling of procedures is being brought out. I can see dropping some charges after further consideration or as a plea- but ALL of them and with no legal or even common sense explanation?
And are expunging them from his record:mad:

Jason Meisner‏ @jmetr22b
#JussieSmollett's lawyer, Patricia Brown Holmes, said that "plenty of people" agree to forfeit their bond when prosecutors drop charges... which is true... but they usually give it directly to their attorneys for legal fees. NOT to the city of Chicago for no apparent reason.
As I mentioned earlier in this case he paid for a handicapped van for a child so he is known to be charitable for causes. IMO

Will Lee‏ @MidnoirCowboy
Area Central Detective Cmdr. Edward Wodnicki, who led #JessieSmollett investigation, is livid the case was dropped when CPD had built a strong case and spent >$10K in man hours. Speaking to reporters at Navy Pier. He’s “shocked” charges are dropped with no heads up.
CPD got no heads up?! I don't blame them for being livid.

When is somebody going to explain this in a way that makes sense?

Jmo

Yeah, I don't get it. Did he orchestrate the attack or not??

The thing is, most of here on WS know that the media can get things wrong. We see mistakes in reporting on almost every case we follow, and we prefer primary sources like quotes, documents, etc. in our discussions and in forming our opinions.

In this case, we had primary sources! We had his account of the crime that didn't make sense, we had his strange TV interview, we had video (or lack of video) of the crime scene and surrounding area, etc. We even had weather reports that worked against his story! There was plenty of stuff that made him look like a hoaxer.

So...now he isn't one? What did we miss?

jmo
We had tweets that even the Superintendent claimed early on were false.
We had a prosecutor read her whole case to the public page by page,which is something I have never seen in any case.
Bits of their case yes but not the whole case page after page.

1. Verified account 5m5 minutes ago
    NEW from Chicago: Joe Magats, the first assistant state's attorney who made the final decision to drop the charges against Jussie Smollett, says in an interview: "We didn't exonerate him."

4 replies37 retweets17 likes

2. Verified account 4m4 minutes ago
    Magats, the asst state's atty, said he saw no problems with the police investigation or the evidence against Smollett. The charges against Smollett were dropped in return for his agreement to do community service, he said, and for forfeiting his bond to the city of Chicago.

4 replies21 retweets9 likes

3. Verified account 3m3 minutes ago
    More from the asst state's attorney: "Here's the thing -- we work to prioritize violent crime and the drivers of violent crime. Public safety is our number one priority. I don't see Jussie Smollett as a threat to public safety."

2 replies10 retweets6 likes
Julie Bosman‏Verified account @juliebosman
"We stand behind the investigation, we stand behind the decision to charge him and we stand behind the charges in the case. The mere fact that it was disposed of in an alternative manner does not mean that there were any problems or infirmities in the case or the evidence."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member