CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no opinion on what happened to Karlie. It seems many on this thread feel the dad & SM are guilty of something & that's okay.

Do you have a link for it took a day to get the tape to Dr, Phil?

No. No link. That was an assumption I misstated as fact. I don't know how long it took them to finally let Dr. Phil hear the tape.

After watching both episodes of the show (March 25 & 26, 2019), I believe it took longer than a day for Dad and his wife to get and/or provide the audio to Dr Phil to listen.

We learned that prior to airing, the Dr Phil Show requested the audio (tape) together with other information such as witness statements and their contact details, home address where Karlie was last seen, etc., and the guests did not comply.

On day 2 of the show, we learned that the guests decided to allow Dr Phil to hear the last known audio of KG, and SM was allegedly in a dressing room retrieving the audio for Dr Phil to listen (off record). During the show, we can assume Dr Phil was listening to the audio from a phone held in his hand with ear buds in his ears. MOO

Stepmom Of Missing Teen Karlie Gusé: ‘I Had Spent The Whole Night With Her In Her Room’ | Dr. Phil

ETA: I don't believe episodes 1 & 2 taped on separate days but believe it took longer than 2 days from the date producers made request to date Dr Phil allowed to listen to tape. Show does their due diligence in advance of taping! MOO

Last edited:
LE says the witnesses are very credible. IMO I do think they saw her. Three different people saw a thin young woman walking early am. This is a very small subdivision. I can’t imagine that there was another girl walking that early on a Saturday.

Although they were somewhat new to the neighborhood, my understanding is they have deep roots in the community. And the wagons circled fast. Turns out SM and I have a mutual friend on facebook. Actually we never met, but our son's served together. I didn't want to mention it here before, and I only shared my friends missing person poster on my fb account. I also never posted any opinion about Karlie. But I found myself not accepted to SM's account. And my friend unfriended me. Maybe they figured out I post here? Karlie needs to come home and the adults around her need to come clean.

Eta: I guess my point is I am not trusting any witnesses at this point.

Last edited:
There have been several cases where Dr. Phil's show has aided in investigations and convictions. Dylan Redwine is one case.
My point was the dad & SM wanted to get Karlies' face out there. They didn't expect Dr. Phil to find her. jmo

After watching both episodes of the show (March 25 & 26, 2019), I believe it took longer than a day for Dad and his wife to get and/or provide the audio to Dr Phil to listen.

We learned that prior to airing, the Dr Phil Show requested the audio (tape) together with other information such as witness statements and their contact details, home address where Karlie was last seen, etc., and the guests did not comply.

On day 2 of the show, we learned that the guests decided to allow Dr Phil to hear the last known audio of KG, and SM was allegedly in a dressing room retrieving the audio for Dr Phil to listen (off record). During the show, we can assume Dr Phil was listening to the audio from a phone held in his hand with ear buds in his ears. MOO

Stepmom Of Missing Teen Karlie Gusé: ‘I Had Spent The Whole Night With Her In Her Room’ | Dr. Phil
I would assume both shows were taped the same day. Your thinking they taped day 1 show & then came back later for day 2 show with the tape. Did they leave BM in the studio waiting for them to come back?

I would assume both shows were taped the same day. Your thinking they taped day 1 show & then came back later for day 2 show with the tape. Did they leave BM in the studio waiting for them to come back?

Sounds right. I mean they were wearing the same clothes in both segments. It feels like two days to us because it aired in two days.

However, time did lapse before she allowed Dr. Phil to hear the audio. How long, we don't know.

My point was the dad & SM wanted to get Karlies' face out there. They didn't expect Dr. Phil to find her. jmo

That's what they said. But we've heard bio mom contacted the show and initially they didn't want on.

They certainly got her face out there though. Unfortunately their bizarre behavior made them the focal point rather than Karlie, IMO.

No one is really talking about Karlie, where she could be and how to help instead everyone is focused on their inexplicably odd performance.

I think they made a huge mistake going on the show.

Although they were somewhat new to the neighborhood, my understanding is they have deep roots in the community. And the wagons circled fast. Turns out SM and I have a mutual friend on facebook. Actually we never met, but our son's served together. I didn't want to mention it here before, and I only shared my friends missing person poster on my fb account. I also never posted any opinion about Karlie. But I found myself not accepted to SM's account. And my friend unfriended me. Maybe they figured out I post here? Karlie needs to come home and the adults around her need to come clean.

Eta: I guess my point is I am not trusting any witnesses at this point.
@SuziQ
Is it at all possible to ask your son if Karlie's brother ever mentioned what his home life was like? Or do you already know the family dynamic?
Sorry to intrude but I think this is very important. Thanks.

According to the Dr Phil website, they tape back-to-back shows on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays:

What is your taping schedule?

Dr. Phil generally tapes two shows a day on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Arrival times are between 8:00-8:15 a.m. Audience members will enjoy back-to-back shows and be out at approximately 1:00 p.m.

Reservation FAQs | Dr. Phil

The Mono County Sheriff’s Office posted this last evening on their FB page:

The Missing Person investigation of Karlie Gusé continues, and we encourage everyone to share the Missing Person flyer and other Facebook posts with pictures of her. Family members have started two different ******** accounts and are offering a reward. The Mono County Sheriff’s Office is not affiliated with the accounts or reward.

We have nothing new to report, but we do monitor all of the posts and comments. We appreciate the shares and helpful tips and advice. We have seen your questions. We also see the speculation, misinformation and even cruelty.

To address some of your concerns:

Why isn’t there a new Press Release?
There is nothing new to report. We keep the post about Karlie pinned to the top of our Facebook page. The search for Karlie has been reported in local print media, local radio, regional television and national online media. The Missing Person flyers have been posted throughout the local area and far beyond. The Facebook shares have spread across the nation and overseas.

Are you still searching?
The ground search has concluded. For a week we searched on foot, in all-terrain vehicles, by helicopter and with scent dogs. We searched both during the day and with heat-sensing equipment at night. We searched for miles in all directions. We stopped traffic on Highway 6. Mono County and Inyo County Sheriffs’ Offices received assistance from Mono Sheriff’s Search and Rescue, Inyo Sheriff’s Search and Rescue, US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, California Highway Patrol, CalTrans, California National Guard, and El Dorado Sheriff’s Office.

Why aren’t you organizing volunteers to search?
We cannot incur the liability of organizing or encouraging volunteers.

What’s going on with the investigation?
We have enlisted the assistance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, South Lake Tahoe Police Department, Bishop Police Department and Inyo County Sheriff’s Office for our investigation. This is an open and ongoing investigation, and we will not discuss our investigative tactics.

Can you do anything about the mean comments?
We cannot delete anything posted to our Facebook page, as we are a government page.

What about all of the other questions and comments?
All relevant questions are being investigated. Some questions we have the answers to. Some we don’t. Some questions/comments serve no purpose other than to be hurtful. We don’t mind the hurtful comments that are directed at us; we can take it. But the hurtful comments directed to Karlie’s mother, stepmother and/or father just add to their suffering, and we don’t understand that.

Mono County Sheriff's Office

Family Searches for California Girl, 16, Missing for 2 Weeks: 'I Just Want Her Back'

[...]

Gusé says Karlie had never run away before and she thinks her stepdaughter was abducted.

“My gut says she was taken at this point,” she says.

“I just want to get her face out there nationally,” she adds. “We are running out of avenues. “

The family has set up a web page and a tipline.

A $10,000 reward has been offered for any information about her disappearance.

Tipsters are also asked to contact the Mono County Sheriff’s Office at 760-932-7549, option 7.

Last October, the Mono County Sheriff provided on it's FB account that the family was offering a reward.

Earlier post above with MSM link also referenced that family set up a web page, tipline, and was offering $10K reward.

I don't recall any mention of a reward cited on the Dr Phil Show (episodes 1 or 2).

Did anybody else hear if reward still being offered?

That's what they said. But we've heard bio mom contacted the show and initially they didn't want on.

They certainly got her face out there though. Unfortunately their bizarre behavior made them the focal point rather than Karlie, IMO.

No one is really talking about Karlie, where she could be and how to help instead everyone is focused on their inexplicably odd performance.

I think they made a huge mistake going on the show.
I can't judge whether it was a huge mistake or not. If their goal was to get her face out there, I for one now know her face & name. I usually catch Dr.Phil & didn't know of her before the show. As a dedicated follower of websleuths, I usually concentrate on older missing people.

No, I do NOT think they taped episodes 1 and 2 on different days, but I do believe the show producers allow more than a day to complete their due diligence for their shows.

In other words, I think Show asked for audio more than a day before the show was taped, and it was more than a day from producers request for audio before it was finally heard by Dr Phil. MOO

Last edited:
In the 2nd episode, at the end Dr Phil was talking about the possibility she is still alive. It was a touching part with tears in the eyes of the dad. SM had no emotion whatever and right after, the camera broke away for commercial and there she is just picking at something in her teeth. That “faith” key may really be the key to a chest Karlie is in . . . The recording again is from dad and SM, we don’t really know when, how she was drugged and by whom, but clear Karlie thought she might die and was pleading for them to phone 911 after likely so her mom would at least find her. Poor investigating.

I can't judge whether it was a huge mistake or not. If their goal was to get her face out there, I for one now know her face & name. I usually catch Dr.Phil & didn't know of her before the show. As a dedicated follower of websleuths, I usually concentrate on older missing people.

That's good to know. I guess in that sense it wouldn't be a mistake for the case necessarily. But it was for them, IMO. They came across horribly and gave a lot of stuff to LE to possibly use against them if they were in any way involved.

As to that being their goal? They supposedly weren't the ones who contacted the show. I think they didn't want to look shady by not appearing while mom did. Sadly, appearing backfired IMO.

On one hand, the Dr. Phil show gave Karlie's face national exposure, which is good. On the other hand, the appearance made both parents & stepmom look bad. First Dr Phil embarrassed the stepmom and father by asking them why they wouldn't provide their home address, witness names, and the audio tape, and then after listening to the audio tape Dr Phil basically implied the bio mom and investigators were lying about the contents of the tape (re: asking to call 911 hypothetically versus begging to call in the moment). I thought it was pretty crummy of Dr. Phil to do that. He certainly should ask pointed questions to dig for the truth and sort out inconsistencies, but the questions he asked only raised more questions and did not really bring any clarity. For example, after dragging the stepmom and father through the mud and making them look quite suspicious, he did a 180 and said the stepmom was being truthful about the audio and that she had been very loving and calming to her stepdaughter.

He also stated that Karlie's audiotaped words pointed to the drug being laced with something like LSD. He should know that her symptoms could also simply be due to the effects of marijuana in and of itself. Instead he just throws around terms like "neocortex" and "limbic system" to try to make himself sound like an authority figure on the matter. Please. He had said in episode 1 that he could derive so much valuable information from listening to the audio, and then once he did, he barely said anything about it other than crying LSD/hallucinogens/sex trafficking. Dr. Phil exploits victims for his own agenda -- that is, drumming up extra drama for TV ratings and $$.

@SuziQ
Is it at all possible to ask your son if Karlie's brother ever mentioned what his home life was like? Or do you already know the family dynamic?
Sorry to intrude but I think this is very important. Thanks.

I can ask. He is pretty tight lipped about things. He was stationed at 29 Palms with Erwin Corwin's husband, and claimed to not even know what I was talking about. He also does this funny thing with his upper lip when he's lying! Ha!

I can ask. He is pretty tight lipped about things. He was stationed at 29 Palms with Erwin Corwin's husband, and claimed to not even know what I was talking about. He also does this funny thing with his upper lip when he's lying! Ha!
Thank you very much for responding. I wish we had a way to talk to people who would know more background.

I have a lot of respect for Dr Phil. In this, I’m sure he wants to put the dad and SM at ease so they he can bring out as much as possible. The tape is telling but he might not share his real beliefs. For example, who gave her a hallucinogenic? Did the SM to “teach her a lesson”? I have lived through a brother overdosing, you panic and get help, you don’t be as unemotional and uncaring as the SM was on the tape. Very odd. As was changing story. The norm is to remember every single detail vividly, not be muddled.

Was she hallucinogenic? Maybe not. “Devil’s lettuce” was Karlie trying to leave clue that they were at a local isolated road, Casa Diablo (house of the devil) at the head of the road or at Casa Diablo Mountain off the road. I’d be checking . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4