GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #10

I thought the lawyers for both Martens had same weak arguments they'd tried before, seem pretty reliant still on the statement of the two children which were made while both were still under control of Martens family to social services and then retracted - to back up claims of domestic abuse. The State's Prosecutors ably answered them, one of the Prosecutors even said didn't understand why both Martens weren't charged with First Degree given the evidence of the case. Tom Martens lawyer found that statement very upsetting! I'd be totally shocked if the Martens won a retrial based on this appeal.
Thanks Courtney hopefully the appeals judge will see straight through them

Thanks Courtney2662 so much as expected. I am still struggling with what help they think the statements would be. SC stated she didn't wake that night, JC stated the bat used was his and he had used it previously. JC also stated MM had hit JC with the brick (as she had told him this). The fact that at some points they talk about abuse (and even then the majority of their statements seems to be MM told them of abuse) doesn't take away from the glaringly obvious contradictions to their defence contained in the statements.

All IMO

Last desperate gasp to try and create doubt and therefore have verdicts set aside. The evidence of the murder negates their claim of defense/protection against domestic violence and the retracted statements of the children don't change that. They beat that man to death horribly and butally, yet had not one sign of being in a "fight for their lives", not a bruise, not a scratch, not a mark. They also didn't have Jason's skin under their own fingernails, which they would if they were in a battle to the death with him. They also had no blood on themselves - so put lie to their claim that they were performing life saving work on Jason while on the phone with 911. Also, Autopsy and BloodSpatter showed Jason never rose higher than his knees in his own bedroom. All of that totally negates any claim of "defense/protection" fight for life with their victim.

Last desperate gasp to try and create doubt and therefore have verdicts set aside. The evidence of the murder negates their claim of defense/protection against domestic violence and the retracted statements of the children don't change that. They beat that man to death horribly and butally, yet had not one sign of being in a "fight for their lives", not a bruise, not a scratch, not a mark. They also didn't have Jason's skin under their own fingernails, which they would if they were in a battle to the death with him. They also had no blood on themselves - so put lie to their claim that they were performing life saving work on Jason while on the phone with 911. Also, Autopsy and BloodSpatter showed Jason never rose higher than his knees in his own bedroom. All of that totally negates any claim of "defense/protection" fight for life with their victim.

Totally agree, it almost seems a complete detachment from the actual evidence. This one part helps us, so lets cling to this and forget the other 80% that goes against us. The overall evidence goes completely against them so they cling to slight sliver of evidence that they can argue, for the next few years, as being a miscarriage of justice.

All IMO

Every time I see this thread with new posts, I roll my eyes and wonder what they’re up to now...

Then I laugh to myself when I think about Molly in prison.

It's a little strange to revisit this case info months after my last visit. My opinion hasn't really changed. Both TM & MC appropriately found guilty and sentenced. But just as I have felt from the beginning, it's sort of sad to think TM had other plans for his retirement. Maybe, just maybe, if they hadn't coddled MC maybe TM wouldn't have arrived in that bedroom to find a bloody JC forcing him once again to come to the aid of an unstable MC. Now, 2 yrs later, I think I would have preferred MC receiving a 1st degree murder conviction and maybe manslaughter for TM

Independent.ie

I remember reading Mike's interview, he had said on the Monday he was helping Molly sort the Insurance while Mona was organising the flowers and such for the funeral/Memorial, so how did he know exactly what Insurance Company to contact if none of them knew about the policy....

It must be frustrating for the Corbett's, I'm sure they were looking for answers and accountability from the civil trial, I don't think that for them the money means a whole lot. I think it speaks volumes about their character once again that they put the welfare of the children ahead of their own quest for answers about what happened that night.

I really hope the appeal continues to do them justice and am just so happy that the kids are in safe hands.

It's so sad to think that if Jason had been able to follow the advice given to women leaving an abusive relationship he might be alive right now.

As the most dangerous time in an abusive relationship is when you decide to leave, you should get your ducks in a row, get copies of all important documents, and leave when your partner is not around and get to a place of safety. Do not let them know you are planning to leave.

This would have been hard for Jason, though, as Molly was a housewife. She was around all the time, she was the primary caregiver so would probably know if he packed some of the childrens' clothes. Knowing that he wanted out, she was probably hyper vigilant.

In all honesty, in my opinion, the 48hr show has done more for the defence than anything,

all imo

I think it must be very hard to do right for doing wrong in a scenario like this...no TV show is ever going to get the facts across as they would be in a court of law and in the inferences and 'balance' that shows like that try to construe the story can be interpreted however the viewers want.

Certainly social media shows a lot of support for the Corbett's afterwards so perhaps it has helped them somewhat in the court of public opinion stateside.

I'm just hoping the appellate court ignores all of it and focuses on the case itself!

What stuck with me after watching 48 hours was the video of the children being interviewed, i know we only saw a clip of it but it made me cry, there was no emotion from either of them,this was done a few days after their dad's death, it was very robotic sounding.
It makes me believe that they were never allowed to grieve in the days after.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it..

I just hope and pray that the appeal will be denied as it would really be a travesty of justice if they are allowed to use two innocent children to justify their actions on that night.

I watched the 48 hours special again. Although I still feel that it favoured the defence, I am not as annoyed by it as I was last week. I just feel that this was such a missed opportunity to counter some of the main arguments that the defence have put forward. There was no counter to the idea that Jason was drunk that evening. There was no mention of the fact that SC's own comments in the interviews (that the Martens wish to have allowed) counters the comments by MM that she woke up that night from a nightmare etc.

It the great scheme of things the show means nothing. We just continue to wait for the decision of the appeal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back