IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #5 Smollett indicted”

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s hard to even post about this because it has become so political. The fact is that this is all on Jussie Smollett.

Whether he did this for attention because he is a narcissist, or because someone or some group wanted to make a statement, I don’t know. But he did it and he should pay dearly. He created a hoax about two white men beating him up, putting a noose around his neck, wearing MAGA hats and then perpetuated it on TV with fake tears, makes him a monster to me. He knew exactly what he would accomplish. (He is an actor after all.)

And then for the Mayor to blame this on someone else today makes me ill. I think the mayor, the DA, JS, and the rest were all in cahoots. And the mayor coming out against JS in the beginning and now blaming it on someone else just smells, in my opinion!

They wanted to publicize this and make it a war about race and political correctness....AGAIN...and I for one have had enough.
The Chicago Mayor now says Jussie Smollet only chose to pull off this hate crime hoax because of a "toxic environment" caused by "someone else" !......... LOL !..... I do believe we are a severely divided country....moo

In response to the city’s letter, Smollett’s attorneys released a statement to PEOPLE and made it clear that he does not plan on paying the requested expenses.

“It is the Mayor and the Police Chief who owe Jussie – owe him an apology – for dragging an innocent man’s character through the mud. Jussie has paid enough,” a rep of Smollett’s defense team said.

City of Chicago Demands Jussie Smollett Pay $130,000 to Cover Overtime for Police Investigation

I'm confused about what legal recourse the City of Chicago even has when JS doesn't pay.

Well, Jesse must be close to broke after paying his legal team. His reputation is in tatters, and he's got few allies. He'll drop from sight soon enough, I highly doubt he'll be cast in the next Spielberg movie.
To add injury to insult, they’ll probably have someone else play himself in the inevitable biopic 5 years from now.

The Chicago Mayor now says Jussie Smollet only chose to pull off this hate crime hoax because of a "toxic environment" caused by "someone else" !......... LOL !..... I do believe we are a severely divided country....moo

I have totally missed this. Can somebody post this please a link

Kim Foxx Says She Did Not Formally Recuse Herself From Jussie Smollett Case But Separated Herself From Decision Making

CHICAGO (CBS) — Despite publicly stating she recused herself from the Jussie Smollett case, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx’s office told CNN it was not a formal recusal. Rather, Foxx separated herself from decision making out of an abundance of caution.

In other words, she lied to the public.
That is just beyond anything I have ever seen. I don't think anyone could trust anything coming out of her mouth. As an attorney practicing for 20 years, I am so embarrassed for my profession by this case. And what is worse, is that I know there will be no consequences for her.

But does the State Attorney have any power over this group?

I can't say that the SA has no power, but one is county government while the other is city government. It's not like these attorneys are a division within the SA or are a branch of Cook County.

While that’s certainly one way to look at it, many of us who are interested in social justice and preventing hate crimes see it entirely differently. Focusing a great deal of energy and anger on a single hoax won’t really do anything to prevent further hate crimes. Instead, it’s the abundance of real hate crimes we focus on, trying to find solutions to this very real problem. So really, I find it unfair and untrue to state that those who care about hate crimes must care a great deal about a single hoax. One hoax vs the many real instances - there’s no contest there.

I think the folks in Chicago who are not paying much mind to this and simply moving forward are pretty smart, as anger will only fuel the fire and cause more hatred.

Could not agree more. I continue to stand with and fight for justice for the victims of real hate crimes, past and future. I spend ample time working in my community which is one of the most segregated in the nation. We work to heal the divide. We work to educate on the facts. We work to listen to the victims and commit to work towards prevention of more hate. It is a tall order. <modsnip - political reference> But we have to dig in and not become hopeless.

Last edited by a moderator:
That remains to be seen. We would need to know a lot more about what exactly happened. In my experience, such behind the scenes dealings would be more of an ethical violation violating rules of professional responsibility and dealt with by the State Bar. Resulting in a public reprimand or even suspension. But I have very little confidence in that. State Bar functions are all very political in every state, and SA Foxx is well connected, so I don't expect much there. The Bar may say, "its being dealt with, but its all confidential." And nothing happens. If there is actual bribery or coercion, that could be investigated and prosecuted as corruption or various other charges, state or federal. But that kind of case is difficult to prove. The participants are smart enough to not actually pay money for the favor. But more likely its an understanding of "you do this big favor for me, and then when you need a favor, I'll return it." So its very difficult to show the quid pro quo. This "subtle corruption" is rampant.
I’m no expert, but it seems to me that when there’s been a rogue prosecutor or police officer on other cases, the charges are usually dismissed or the convictions are even reversed. So I can’t imagine that misconduct on the part of the State’s Attorneys’ Office would come back to haunt JS.

Good article. Thanks for linking.
Kim Foxx will and should lose her job over the Jussie Smollett case

Her tone-deaf statements included equating Smollett to the raft of no-name, low-level, nonviolent offenders who have received the “go and sin no more” treatment, and patronizing those who are outraged by the outcome as “people who don’t understand the intricacies of the justice system.”

Here’s what we understand: High-profile criminal cases are the lens through which the public sees and evaluates the administration of justice as a whole.

Is the alleged crime investigated thoroughly and honestly? Is the process of obtaining an outcome transparent and fair? Does the result give us confidence that all the low-profile cases most of us never hear of are being handled with integrity?

We can’t because the mayor mentions the President and we cannot mention him in this forum. Sorry.
Online MSM

We can post the link if it’s a valid source, right? That’s a separate issue from discussing the president here on the forum. At least I would hope so?

How else would we be able to verify an alleged statement made by the Chicago Mayor and link our sources here on WS?

But I’ve also been gone from the forum for awhile, so maybe I missed something? I’m catching up, like some other folks are, too. Can someone point me to the answer? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mydermarie26