AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of surprised at the skepticism I'm hearing about McRaney as a suspect, both on here as well as among locals IRL. I know it's hard forget 20 years of speculation and (sometimes wild) theories about this crime; but try to imagine if 20 days (not 20 years) after the crime, we had known that DNA evidence matched at 25 yo man who lived less than 2 miles from where the bodies were found. If we'd had that info before all the rumors and theories, everyone would agree that investigations must be done to explain why his DNA was found. That process has to occur.

As to the subject of racism, I know that this is south Alabama and African-Americans have not always been (and still are not always) treated fairly. But I just don't get the feeling that anyone is feeling pressure to pin this on a random black guy. I will also note that Marlos Walker is African American. Patti Simpson is not someone that we should sleuth, but maybe some other locals know of her and will understand when I say that she has a reputation in the community that is the exact opposite of a racist.

Discussion of the case (mostly comments on social media) have left me feeling a little slimy lately. I'm not at all an insider, but I know of a few of the people discussed here by 2 or 3 degrees of separation. (The girls were the same age as one of my siblings who went to a different high school in the area. One of my kids was once very involved in dance and theater in the Wiregrass.) I'd really like to honor the families' wishes to focus on JB and Tracie and to keep an open mind as the legal proceedings proceed.

JMO MOO

Yes, I agree about Ms. Simpson. I thought sleuthing her was a direct violation of the TOS. As far as your comment about the families, I'm under the impression from the videos that I've seen that it's the Beasley family that's trying to keep an open mind and not the Hawlett family who seem to have already convicted him in their minds. JMOOC

Two things. The car was found muddy and almost out of gas. The lady at the gas station said the car was clean. I would think JB if low on gas at this point would have filled at the station before heading for home. That leads me to think the killer drove the car using up the gas and got it muddy. Makes me think he brought the car back to that spot because his car was left close by. I read about a woman who made accusations about the police claiming JB had some incriminating tapes involving them. This woman was beaten with a baseball bat but refuses to tell who beat her. JB's missing car keys had other keys on it. Maybe the killer was looking for something. It could have been the killer himself thought JB had it or someone told this individual she did. Whatever it was it was a matter of life and death. I read today tracie's house was broken into twice with nothing being taken like someone was looking for something could be someone impersonating a police officer. Right now I think it could have been the girls knew too much or saw something or had incriminating evidence on somebody.
That story was proven untrue. It was made up by a disgruntled former dispatcher and an uncredited online news website. There were lawsuits against both parties. I'm pretty sure it's public record.

The gas station(Shell) in Midland City, AL is the last place I would think J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett were kidnapped from. The fact that two boys were there waiting for them has to be considered and that the boys probably waited long enough to the point where they figured the girls were not coming. Also, how would the killer leave J.B. Beasley's car on Herring Avenue in Ozark, AL and get back to his car at the Midland City, AL gas station(without an accomplice to drive him back or without him being someone without a car who just happens to walk along busy 4 lane highways and stop at random gas stations late at night)? The logistical aspect of the vehicles involved is one of the biggest mysteries in this case.

In my opinion, I think they were kidnapped before the Midland City, AL gas station. Map interpretation is my specialty. There is no doubt in my mind they were kidnapped before the Midland City, AL gas

The gas station(Shell) in Midland City, AL is the last place I would think J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett were kidnapped from. The fact that two boys were there waiting for them has to be considered and that the boys probably waited long enough to the point where they figured the girls were not coming. Also, how would the killer leave J.B. Beasley's car on Herring Avenue in Ozark, AL and get back to his car at the Midland City, AL gas station(without an accomplice to drive him back or without him being someone without a car who just happens to walk along busy 4 lane highways and stop at random gas stations late at night)? The logistical aspect of the vehicles involved is one of the biggest mysteries in this case.

In my opinion, I think they were kidnapped before the Midland City, AL gas station. Map interpretation is my specialty. There is no doubt in my mind they were kidnapped before the Midland City, AL gas

In my opinion, I think they were kidnapped before the Midland City, AL gas station. Map interpretation is my specialty. There is no doubt in my mind they were kidnapped before the Midland City, AL gas station. If this mystery ever gets solved I would be very surprised if that is not the case.
I've always thought they were abducted right there in Ozark.

Yes, I agree about Ms. Simpson. I thought sleuthing her was a direct violation of the TOS. As far as your comment about the families, I'm under the impression from the videos that I've seen that it's the Beasley family that's trying to keep an open mind and not the Hawlett family who seem to have already convicted him in their minds. JMOOC

There will be so much posturing until all of the purported facts come out. Some will be natural, others purposely.
In the end, no matter what is revealed it will be seen LE held their cards close to the vest. Quite a feat, especially for 20 years.

Quo Vedis

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised at the skepticism I'm hearing about McRaney as a suspect, both on here as well as among locals IRL. I know it's hard forget 20 years of speculation and (sometimes wild) theories about this crime; but try to imagine if 20 days (not 20 years) after the crime, we had known that DNA evidence matched at 25 yo man who lived less than 2 miles from where the bodies were found. If we'd had that info before all the rumors and theories, everyone would agree that investigations must be done to explain why his DNA was found. That process has to occur.

As to the subject of racism, I know that this is south Alabama and African-Americans have not always been (and still are not always) treated fairly. But I just don't get the feeling that anyone is feeling pressure to pin this on a random black guy. I will also note that Marlos Walker is African American. Patti Simpson is not someone that we should sleuth, but maybe some other locals know of her and will understand when I say that she has a reputation in the community that is the exact opposite of a racist.

Discussion of the case (mostly comments on social media) have left me feeling a little slimy lately. I'm not at all an insider, but I know of a few of the people discussed here by 2 or 3 degrees of separation. (The girls were the same age as one of my siblings who went to a different high school in the area. One of my kids was once very involved in dance and theater in the Wiregrass.) I'd really like to honor the families' wishes to focus on JB and Tracie and to keep an open mind as the legal proceedings proceed.

JMO MOO
Sorry for all the typos in this post! It's too late to edit it. Hopefully you can understand what I was trying to say.

It must be one heck of a coquensedence that his DNA is on JB and he just happens to live less than 2 miles from where the car was found.

He did it. And I am sure The DA has a lot more evidence that links him to the murders as well.

Jmo

Even though I pride myself on my generally open mindedness, I couldn't be a juror here. DNA is so unique to the individual, impossible to fake. I am eager for the trial but I couldn't be an unbiased participant and that has nothing to due to the color of the accused's skin. People lie, science can't.

I find it interesting that no reports have came out regarding any search warrants being executed. That would have hit the news or the social media blogs/blab by now.
The circuit court arraignment will be a non-event. A preliminary hearing will be interesting though. The discovery package that won’t be public will be the hinge piece.

A lot is and has been close to the vest for a while it seems. More to come either way for sure.

Quo Vadis

Coley McCraney attorney will seek sequester of jury during trial

March 29, 2019

"A jury trial for a man charged in the 1999 deaths of teens J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett could be years away, but defense attorneys are already planning to ask a judge to sequester the jury when seated.

David Harrison, lead counsel for Coley McCraney, arrested two weeks ago and charged with multiple counts of capital murder in the 1999 slayings, said he believes having a jury stay at a motel during the trial is in the best interest of McCraney. He plans to file a motion to sequester soon....

McCraney’s preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 3."

Coley McCraney attorney will seek sequester of jury during trial

GR7LAHTTF5BXLBVF47TUZCGW2E.jpg

Does anyone know what trucking company CM was driving for?

I Googled all of his Dothan addresses that I could find but didn't see his cab parked at any of the houses.

I don't think Agent Collier's assertion is that surprising either. Many of us have always felt the car was left there after the other events that night.

My opinion only of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member