Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve actually done this once. Gotten into a car I thought was my Uber. I had forgotten my ID so I U reed back to my house. I tracked the car (but didn’t check the vehicle type etc) and a guy pulled up and rolled his window down. My Uber was right behind this guy. I hopped in and started to tell him where to go. He was Spanish and didn’t speak English. I thought it was odd but I had been drinking. I was literally riding in this dudes car for about 7-10 min when my phone rings and it’s my Uber driver. He asked where I was and I said I’m in your Uber, or so I thought. He was like you’re not in my Uber. Get out now. I aggressively tapped dude on the shoulder and asked if he was an Uber and said “naw”! I screamed for him to pull over and he did immediately. I got out and my original Uber driver kept me on the phone until he reached me. I was so scared!! Anything could have happened! Looking back he was probably just some horny dude that saw a hot chick downtown and decided to “holler” at me. Then my dumbass got in his car. I won’t make that mistake again. I’m sure something similar happened with this girl but obviously it wasn’t so innocent :(. My friends daughter goes to school there and my own sister samantha also went there. The whole town is shook :(

So I’ve actually done this once. Gotten into a car I thought was my Uber. I had forgotten my ID so I U reed back to my house. I tracked the car (but didn’t check the vehicle type etc) and a guy pulled up and rolled his window down. My Uber was right behind this guy. I hopped in and started to tell him where to go. He was Spanish and didn’t speak English. I thought it was odd but I had been drinking. I was literally riding in this dudes car for about 7-10 min when my phone rings and it’s my Uber driver. He asked where I was and I said I’m in your Uber, or so I thought. He was like you’re not in my Uber. Get out now. I aggressively tapped dude on the shoulder and asked if he was an Uber and said “naw”! I screamed for him to pull over and he did immediately. I got out and my original Uber driver kept me on the phone until he reached me. I was so scared!! Anything could have happened! Looking back he was probably just some horny dude that saw a hot chick downtown and decided to “holler” at me. Then my dumbass got in his car. I won’t make that mistake again. I’m sure something similar happened with this girl but obviously it wasn’t so innocent :(. My friends daughter goes to school there and my own sister samantha also went there. The whole town is shook :(

Thank God, it sounds like your Uber driver actually cared. So scary.

OMG

Missing college student from N.J. found dead in South Carolina
A 21-year-old University of South Carolina college student from New Jersey is dead after she was reported missing in Columbia, South Carolina, according to her family and school officials.
“Our prayers are with the family and friends of Samantha Josephson following the devastating news of her death,” USC President Harris Pastides said in a statement. “Times like these leave me searching for words of wisdom and comfort. However, I take solace that the Carolina Family is here to embrace those who are hurting.”

NJ Advance Media reached out to the Columbia Police Department but they did not release additional information.

Would a newer car be easier for LE to locate?
USC confirms missing student, Samantha Josephson, has died
"Surveillance footage captured her talking on the phone before getting into a newer model Chevy Impala"
Missing USC student Samantha Josephson has died, father and university president confirm
9203be35-bb1a-455b-ade2-15e48aff83cf-facebook.jpg

University of South Carolina confirms missing student Samantha Josephson found dead, officials say

Columbia Police Dept

Last edited:
Would it be possible for someone to hack into Lyft or Uber’s system, find a local driver with the same make & model car (as the hacker), & keep an eye on the driver’s upcoming pick ups? Then, the nefarious hacker/criminal could get to the pickup location ahead of the actual driver & collect the waiting passenger with nefarious intent.
This is not my idea/theory, but something I read on social media, & it makes sense.

Your story does make me understand how this can happen Especially when drinking. Seriously, I am so glad you’re okay. That is truly scary.

Would it be possible for someone to hack into Lyft or Uber’s system, find a local driver with the same make & model car (as the hacker), & keep an eye on the driver’s upcoming pick ups? Then, the nefarious hacker/criminal could get to the pickup location ahead of the actual driver & collect the waiting passenger with nefarious intent.
This is not my idea/theory, but something I read on social media, & it makes sense.

While it’s entirely possible, that’s really sophisticated for what I’m thinking is probably a crime of opportunity.

I hope that they haven’t made a public call because they have a suspect or have someone in custody and this is resolved quickly.

While it’s entirely possible, that’s really sophisticated for what I’m thinking is probably a crime of opportunity.

I hope that they haven’t made a public call because they have a suspect or have someone in custody and this is resolved quickly.

The CPD did release a still photograph of the car she got in, along with the model. While they didn't verbatim ask for tips about the vehicle, I would hope that by posting that they are attempting to fish for some sort of nibbles.

Article says it is being investigated by the sex crimes unit. Ugh. South Carolina college reports death of student, 21, a day after she climbed into car she thought was her ride share

Must be evidence of a sexual assault. I figured that was the predator’s motivation in picking her up but it is so terrible to see it confirmed.
Heartbreaking. :( I hope they get the monster who did this. :mad:

"Josephson was a political science major bound for Drexel University Law School in Philadelphia, a friend JS told The State newspaper."

*Edited to change friend's name to initials.

Last edited:
I love the service of uber/lyft but it does put everyone in a vulnerable position, including the driver. I sell real estate and that career does the same thing. If there's a will to do evil there's a way. Sad! I hope there's camera's and they have this creeps route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23