AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Big Little gas station in Ozark, AL where Tracie Hawlett made the phone call to her mother saying the girls were on their way home to the area around Northview High School in Dothan, AL(where Tracie Hawlett lived at the time) is a 30 minute drive.

I know what the families think should happen to the suspect. I just think this case is probably going to drag on for years in the legal system. In order for the suspect to give a videotaped night time field trip factual confession where he gives information that only the killer would know or have so he can prove he is telling the truth he probably is going to want a deal like life in prison with the possibility of parole after serving at least 20 years.

Without the DNA evidence there is no case. So the question is does the defense think a jury will believe that whether or not J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett knew the suspect that they were allowed to leave? Then the girls went somewhere else that night where they were then murdered by some other person(s) for no apparent reason(motive) by being shot in the trunk of J.B. Beasley's car?

Does anyone know the exact 5 charges against McCraney? I only have 2 counts of capital murder & 1 count of rape (Beasley).

TIA!

From the Big Little gas station in Ozark, AL where Tracie Hawlett made the phone call to her mother saying the girls were on their way home to the area around Northview High School in Dothan, AL(where Tracie Hawlett lived at the time) is a 30 minute drive.

I know what the families think should happen to the suspect. I just think this case is probably going to drag on for years in the legal system. In order for the suspect to give a videotaped night time field trip factual confession where he gives information that only the killer would know or have so he can prove he is telling the truth he probably is going to want a deal like life in prison with the possibility of parole after serving at least 20 years.

Without the DNA evidence there is no case. So the question is does the defense think a jury will believe that whether or not J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett knew the suspect that they were allowed to leave? Then the girls went somewhere else that night where they were then murdered by some other person(s) for no apparent reason(motive) by being shot in the trunk of J.B. Beasley's car?

In the end it will depend on the jury, and given some of the examples of the last few years, weve no cause to be hopeful. Since the ethnic makeup of Ozark is 64-40 white the jury would be a toss-up. This may be why the defense atty has announced he might seek a trial in Ozark.(Although he may also realize that since the motion may be denied it wasnt a good idea to insult the locals by implying they couldnt judge the case fairly). Obviously the defense would like to see the trial held somewhere like Montgomery or Birmingham, whereas the prosecution would prefer somewhere like Cullman or North Alabama. Another factor would be whether the defense put the defendant on the stand. Since we have no idea what is being held back evidence-wise its pretty much a guessing game.

I am going to finally give my opinion on a scenario that I believe could be possible, not likely, but can't be totally ruled out. What if the suspect in custody did have a brief encounter with the girls, or had an ongoing thing with one of them? Wasn't it rumored that there had been a relationship with an older man that worked in LE? Keep in mind that this happened in a small close knit Alabama town. Many, many people around here do not like interracial relationships. Sadly this is a fact. That being said, what if someone who found out about an encounter or relationship/affair between one of the girls and the suspect and was so angry about it that they shot both girls? Like I said, not very likely but I have had this scenario in my mind since the arrest. I think it will be difficult to convict the suspect based on DNA alone but they most likely have more evidence that links him to the murders other than DNA left from seminal fluid. Just my opinion

I also wanted to add that I hate when people use the "race card" in cases and I am in no way saying that its ok. I just feel like this is an angle that could be remotely possible

Does anyone know the exact 5 charges against McCraney? I only have 2 counts of capital murder & 1 count of rape (Beasley).

TIA!

* First-degree murder of JB Hilton Green Beasley
* First degree murder of Tracie Jean Hawlett
* First degree murder of Miss Beasley while in the act of murdering two or more persons
* First degree murder of Miss Hawlett while in the act of murdering two or more persons
* First degree rape of JB Hilton Green Beasley

Last edited:
What would be ideal, in my opinion, would be a deal for him to plead guilty and give the details of what happened that night in exchange for life without parole. I certainly can understand if the families prefer a death sentence trial, though.

rsanders27 said:
* First-degree murder of JB Hilton Green Beasley
* First degree murder of Tracie Jean Hawlett
* First degree murder of Miss Beasley while in the act of murdering two or more persons
* First degree murder of Miss Hawlett while in the act of murdering two or more persons
* First degree rape of JB Hilton Green Beasley

Thank you rsanders27 - and
welcome-team.gif

to WS & this thread!

Does anyone know how well lit the Big/Little store was?

Like were there street lamps over the payphones? On the corner befire you turn into the gas station?
The parking lot was well lit and the phone was actually on the front of the store at the right end.

Is it just me or does anyone else just dislike that lawyer? It's not because of this case there is something about him that comes off as untrustworthy. I don't know if he seems to aggressive trying to drill it in that his client is innocent.
That attorney is a crook...Google his name and arrests!!!!

There was a search warrant executed they got a tablet and 2 cell phones from his semi=-truck
I find it interesting that no reports have came out regarding any search warrants being executed. That would have hit the news or the social media blogs/blab by now.
The circuit court arraignment will be a non-event. A preliminary hearing will be interesting though. The discovery package that won’t be public will be the hinge piece.

A lot is and has been close to the vest for a while it seems. More to come either way for sure.

Quo Vadis

TIA!
It breaks them down in the video of the press conference

Charges for JB

Murder by the defendant during a rape

Murder where 2 or more persons are murdered by the defendant

Murder committed by deadly weapon while the victim was in a vehicle

Charges for Tracie

Murder where 2 or more persons are murdered by the defendant

Murder committed by deadly weapon while the victim was in a vehicle

The parking lot was well lit and the phone was actually on the front of the store at the right end.
I just don't get how they were lost in Ozark since JB knew her way around Ozark since she used to live there?
Jb Never lived in Ozark according to her family. She was born in Troy and moved to Dothan when she was 4 and lived there until she died and Tracie lived there all her life

The Dothan Eagle article stated the suspect lived on Lisenby Drive at the time of the murders. The only street I could find in Ozark, AL is called Ed Lisenby Drive. It is a small street and there is a company called Southern Star on the corner. The street is beyond SR 123, but before 231 and I cannot figure out how the girls ended up on it if that is a possible locational area where they met their killer.

All the map interpretation in the world would not have helped me figure this location out or that suspect lived there at that location. I would never have guessed that based on what is currently known about the case.

I always thought either one of two things about the case when it came to locations: 1. The girls were not lost in Ozark, AL and stopped at the rest stop on 231 on the way back home and were kidnapped there or my first post where I thought this is a case of spatial disorientation and the girls were driving around the southeast section of Ozark before 123 confused and going round and round in circles before maybe stopping somewhere to either ask directions or just talk about what to do next. I based that theory on what happened to me when I was 17 and got lost inside a city.

Theres a Lisenby Dr it runs parallel to Carroll Avenue

The Dothan Eagle article stated the suspect lived on Lisenby Drive at the time of the murders. The only street I could find in Ozark, AL is called Ed Lisenby Drive. It is a small street and there is a company called Southern Star on the corner. The street is beyond SR 123, but before 231 and I cannot figure out how the girls ended up on it if that is a possible locational area where they met their killer.

All the map interpretation in the world would not have helped me figure this location out or that suspect lived there at that location. I would never have guessed that based on what is currently known about the case.

I always thought either one of two things about the case when it came to locations: 1. The girls were not lost in Ozark, AL and stopped at the rest stop on 231 on the way back home and were kidnapped there or my first post where I thought this is a case of spatial disorientation and the girls were driving around the southeast section of Ozark before 123 confused and going round and round in circles before maybe stopping somewhere to either ask directions or just talk about what to do next. I based that theory on what happened to me when I was 17 and got lost inside a city.

Attachments

• lisenby dr.jpg
    lisenby dr.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors