Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video shows South Carolina student getting into car she thought was her Uber hours before death | Daily Mail Online

This video shows Samantha waiting for her Uber, then entering the car. She appears to me (in the still photos widely disseminated by MSM outlets) to have been wearing white espadrille-style platform/wedge sandals that night. The fact that she apparently has no difficulty at all stepping quickly off of the curb and crossing the short distance to the Impala while wearing relatively high and narrow footwear suggests to me that she was not so inebriated as to pass out/black out shortly after entering the car, as others here have hypothesized; I’ve seen many a tipsy college student take a tumble in far more sensible footwear than this, and Samantha’s spry and agile steps here just don’t look like the stride you’d expect to see demonstrated by a mildly or moderately “buzzed”/tipsy/inebriated young woman at 2 AM!

IMO/MOO

In my opinion, I don't think the face in the still frame is Sami. She is in the back. As the front passenger does a hair flip with her right hand, Sami is simultaneously closing the car door with what would have probably been her right hand. It is impossible, I believe, for these two things to happen at the same time. The image is of somebody in the front seat, otherwise the glare of the light on the face would not have been visible. In full speed it seems more obvious to me. It is just a coincidence he is riding around the very next night at 3AM in the same area with a female passenger while there is blood all over the inside of the car???

It sure is hard to explain, Daphne, especially now that I know his vehicle had a tan interior. I assume it was black and stains would not be so apparent.

I still haven't seen the hair flip, but having to watch that over and over again is more than I can do. Thanks for persevering and sleuthing it.

Last edited:
My husband is a driver for Uber/Lyft. Together we have 5 kids, including 3 beautiful girls ages 21, 22, and 23. This story hurts my heart but PSA out of 2 years of driving, ONE person has asked for my husbands ID. Out of 2 years of driving only “1 in about 50” according to him check his license plate number. And how often does someone accidentally hop in his car thinking it’s their ride? ALL THE TIME! We have been grocery shopping together and been cursed at because they thought their Uber had picked someone else up (me). He has stopped at the mailbox to grab our mail and someone has hopped in and refused to get out of our car in our own community thinking he was the Uber they had ordered and he was being difficult. The sad truth is that no one really checks what car they are supposed to be in or checks the license or the driver. The app tells you that your ride is “arriving” but that driver can be on the other side of the street at a light. It doesn’t mean the First car you see is your Uber. Please check your app and tell your children to check! Such a preventable tragedy! Please be the annoying mom, dad, friend etc and tell people to take just a few seconds and verify. And if your driver has a mediocre record, cancel the request and re request the ride! It’s not easy to get a bad rating when averaged over many rides. I pray this advice will help someone not go through the heartache I know this family must be going through. My heart goes out to them

Slightly more central in the front seat area is a pale area that is thinner on top, almost like a head. I actually think it's the light from the streetlight hitting the left edge of the passenger seat. It does look slightly human-shaped, but it's really close to the center of the vehicle and not in the middle of the front passenger seat. I assume he has a black interior and upholstry color, so the rest of the seat outline doesn't show up.
Agree with you. At a distance, it looks like a face, but not up close.

My husband is a driver for Uber/Lyft. Together we have 5 kids, including 3 beautiful girls ages 21, 22, and 23. This story hurts my heart but PSA out of 2 years of driving, ONE person has asked for my husbands ID. Out of 2 years of driving only “1 in about 50” according to him check his license plate number. And how often does someone accidentally hop in his car thinking it’s their ride? ALL THE TIME! We have been grocery shopping together and been cursed at because they thought their Uber had picked someone else up (me). He has stopped at the mailbox to grab our mail and someone has hopped in and refused to get out of our car in our own community thinking he was the Uber they had ordered and he was being difficult. The sad truth is that no one really checks what car they are supposed to be in or checks the license or the driver. The app tells you that your ride is “arriving” but that driver can be on the other side of the street at a light. It doesn’t mean the First car you see is your Uber. Please check your app and tell your children to check! Such a preventable tragedy! Please be the annoying mom, dad, friend etc and tell people to take just a few seconds and verify. And if your driver has a mediocre record, cancel the request and re request the ride! It’s not easy to get a bad rating when averaged over many rides. I pray this advice will help someone not go through the heartache I know this family must be going through. My heart goes out to them
This is very sage advice. Thank you for sharing.

I feel like one day society will view uber crimes the way we view hitchhiking crimes of the 70's. People of the future will have that deep-rooted fear instilled in them by proactively protective parents who are presently coming to grips with this horrendous crime.

Video shows South Carolina student getting into car she thought was her Uber hours before death | Daily Mail Online

This video shows Samantha waiting for her Uber, then entering the car. She appears to me (in the still photos widely disseminated by MSM outlets) to have been wearing white espadrille-style platform/wedge sandals that night. The fact that she apparently has no difficulty at all stepping quickly off of the curb and crossing the short distance to the Impala while wearing relatively high and narrow footwear suggests to me that she was not so inebriated as to pass out/black out shortly after entering the car, as others here have hypothesized; I’ve seen many a tipsy college student take a tumble in far more sensible footwear than this, and Samantha’s spry and agile steps here just don’t look like the stride you’d expect to see demonstrated by a mildly or moderately “buzzed”/tipsy/inebriated young woman at 2 AM!

IMO/MOO

This video was really clear they had embedded in this article so thank you sharing it. And when you zoom. Sami gets in very close to the passenger door so her face stays in view. I also very clearly see the driver immediately turn around towards the back seat (I see his arms move, his torso move more back to us) like he is quickly cleaning off the backseat for her. (Adjusting the car seat?)
I mean, I see it clear as day after zooming and then if you watch frame by frame you see him doing this.

So yes, I see the face at the passenger side but it looks like Sami’s as she is very very close to the passenger door when she closes it.

JMO of course!

Thank you for the post. This doesn’t surprise me at all. Thank you also for your useful advice it is very helpful.

“The mother of a South Carolina student who was found dead after getting into a stranger's car thinking it was her Uber has slammed the driver as being 'vile' and 'evil' after it emerged he had activated the child locks in his backseat.

Nathaniel David Rowland, 24, was arrested for allegedly killing 21-year-old Samantha Josephson after she got into his car in Columbia at about 1.30am on Friday thinking it was her Uber ride.”

Mom of student killed by fake Uber driver slams the 'vile' killer | Daily Mail Online

My husband is a driver for Uber/Lyft. Together we have 5 kids, including 3 beautiful girls ages 21, 22, and 23. This story hurts my heart but PSA out of 2 years of driving, ONE person has asked for my husbands ID. Out of 2 years of driving only “1 in about 50” according to him check his license plate number. And how often does someone accidentally hop in his car thinking it’s their ride? ALL THE TIME! We have been grocery shopping together and been cursed at because they thought their Uber had picked someone else up (me). He has stopped at the mailbox to grab our mail and someone has hopped in and refused to get out of our car in our own community thinking he was the Uber they had ordered and he was being difficult. The sad truth is that no one really checks what car they are supposed to be in or checks the license or the driver.

I use Uber often and always check the license plate, car type, and I try to match the face, but it is rather small. I always feel I am being rude when I check the tag and I don’t know why I would feel that way. I wonder if more people feel that way? I do it anyway. One Uber driver told me no one ever checks the tag and told me to keep doing it. I think our culture here is to show you trust people or it is rude (something like that and this isn’t the only reason people don’t check). We have to overcome this and value our safety.

Yeah, this was about as sloppy as it gets.

That wreaks of first time killer to me.

In many cases, there is a precipitating stressor prior to crimes like this. I’m guessing that he had a fight with a girlfriend (or something along those lines) before this happened.

Drug use is also possible, but this probably didn’t come out of nowhere.

fight with a girlfriend sounds about right, but I also wonder what happened with his siblings whom he says he was close to in his old (2011) Google page. seems like rage and if he were thinking, even if SJ meant nothing to him, would he have destroyed his car and his own life for a short period of rage and hate?

fight with a girlfriend sounds about right, but I also wonder what happened with his siblings whom he says he was close to in his old (2011) Google page. seems like rage and if he were thinking, even if SJ meant nothing to him, would he have destroyed his car and his own life for a short period of rage and hate?
It wouldn’t be the first time.

Trying to apply the logic of a normal person to someone like this guy, is inherently ineffective.

He wanted what he wanted, and he likely wasn’t thinking very far ahead, even if things did go as planned.

Maybe it is safer for college student to go back to a designated driver from their group of friends.
Faux ride share drivers are nation wide.
Or maybe using well marked taxi service is a better option.
Moo
I am 99% sure that they told us in orientation that U of SC police will pick kids up, no questions asked.
There are also shuttles, but they only run to and from Campus. She lived off.
ETA: I can ask daughter tomorrow...though she may not know, either.

I swear, we try to do everything right as parents...there is evil EVERYWHERE.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the Uber/Lyft craze. I take them only when I am traveling with a group of friends. And even then, it is with trepidation. I don't know what medication the person driving may be taking...or how much they drink.

Since this guy didn’t really cover his tracks well and was caught quickly, I wonder if this was drug related and not intended as a rape (? - not sure if this was even mentioned) and murder. Figured he’d pick up anyone (male/female) and steal their phone/cash and then just have them get out somewhere down the road. When Sami fought like hell, things turned out differently?

Rest In Peace beautiful daughter, sister, friend. This could have been any of our daughters or sons. I have adult children of my own and I fear this every day. I follow so many of these cases that I praise and thank God for her family's sake that she was found so quickly so that her family can start to grieve and properly lay her to rest. I also praise and thank God for her family's sake that although evil won, God made this evil creature so incredibly stupid as to go back to that area the very next day. He may never have been caught but for that. So thankful this predator is off the streets. Giving thanks for what seems at first glance like small miracles in this hellish nightmare. .....

God bless this young lady and her family, friends, and community.

Amen.

Apr 1, 2019 12:10 AM EDT
Alexis Frazier

COLUMBIA,SC (WOLO)- Funeral plans have been announced for Samantha Josephson.

Her father took to Facebook Sunday for the announcment.

“Funeral will be held on Wednesday April 3rd at 12PM with services at Congregation Beth Chaim 329 Village Road East Princeton Jct. NJ 08550 The burial will follow at Perrineville Cemetery 755 Perrineville Road Perrineville NJ.” Samantha’s father said in the Facebook post. “After the burial, we will sit Shiva then visiting hours will also be Thursday after 3 PM and Sunday starting at 12 PM at our house.”

Samantha Josephson's funeral to be in New Jersey this week - ABC Columbia

What leads you to think so? I'm just curious.
At the time I was commenting on the first news article that stated he had child locks on the backseat doors, preventing her from escaping. To me, that seems contrived. Then especially looking at the video of him pulling out of a parking lot where he could have been lurking and waiting, makes me feel more strongly that he was hunting a victim. All MOO

ETA And the derogatory name I called him was from the anger it all makes me feel...

Last edited:
In my opinion, I don't think the face in the still frame is Sami. She is in the back. As the front passenger does a hair flip with her right hand, Sami is simultaneously closing the car door with what would have probably been her right hand. It is impossible, I believe, for these two things to happen at the same time. The image is of somebody in the front seat, otherwise the glare of the light on the face would not have been visible. In full speed it seems more obvious to me. It is just a coincidence he is riding around the very next night at 3AM in the same area with a female passenger while there is blood all over the inside of the car???

I have looked at the enhanced pictures and one time, I think it is another person, the next I do not think another person can be seen. I am undecided, which is not unusual if I can view things two ways with the facts presented thus far in a case. Some points though that I can think of where I can make the argument that would fit with another person being a possibility or that work with it:

My first thought on reading the first facts of this case was that this could not be an easy thing to do by just one person, he had to drive and she was unreachable in the back seat while he is driving. (I can also argue this one in the other direction though).

It may vary but we use taxis quite often and where I was happy with the city owned taxi service, the person I am generally with when we have need for a taxi likes Uber now or did anyhow (although they have failed us recently so that may change). In all cases, she jumps in the front and I never knew a person could do this, however, I am older and she is younger and again, maybe it differs where we are located. I now have noticed most people do. One could ask her SJ's friends if they cabbed together whether one would jump in the front and whether SJ ever did with them or on her own that they have seen. One reason she did not could definitely be that someone was already in the front.

I very much agree with your thought above and have had the same thought since they shared the fact that blood was seen in the car. Yet he was driving around with a light interior with a woman, caring less if she saw the blood and she apparently cared less either. In the wee hours of the morning the next day, AGAIN, and in the same area. This fits, like maybe it was a usual thing? Robbery? SA?--it wouldn't be the first time a woman helped a man get someone in a vehicle by being "present"...

The woman the next day who was with him when he was apprehended I doubt was a "pickup" as she was said to be "cooperating". That sounds more like someone he knew and who was possibly involved. They likely had to acknowledge her as in the car upon arrest as people probably noticed the fleeing and subsequent arrest and may have reasons they have not said with regard to the abduction.

Not everything has been shared yet, and generally never is, this is a pretty fresh investigation. They have not shared the weapon used and may not be acknowledging another passenger when SJ was picked up for various reasons. They may be still confirming it and while they may have determined there was someone in the car, they may not be sure they can prove who. For me, when I do think I see a person, I cannot tell whether the person is female or male for instance. Yet I am not skilled at enhancing pics.

We also do not even know when she was killed. There were quite a few hours between her getting into the car and the missing report. The woman, if there was one, could live where the phone pinged even. While it could have pinged just because the car was passing a home, it stands out to me that her friends say they tracked it to a home on the street. They could have pulled right into a garage with the Chevy so no passerbys could see what happened next which I would rather not think about. Later put into the trunk and out to the 70 mile away location.

I think it is possible as well that by the time the police pulled him over that beyond just the car matching, they may have even had an inkling of who they might possibly be looking for based on the woman (if they knew about her and if she was for instance a gf), where she lived and the remarks about the location SJ was found and that someone would have had to have known the area to dispose of SJ there. Possibly...

SJ could have even met the two while out that night and recognized them (or if it was just him that could still have happened.

I can also make it it work with him being alone and at times, I do not think what I see in the pics are a person...

At the moment though, I am leaning towards another person being involved whether at the time of abduction or shortly after. The fact the woman would be in his car the next day with him fully aware there was blood in it just is beyond my believing he would not care if she noticed, unless she knew already... Hence cooperation...?

It shouldn't be the case, but I would probably be more comfortable if there was a woman with a man who pulled up... And if I even possibly met them earlier or even just recognized them, even more so...

I will certainly think twice now...

I had assumed that his black car would have black upholstery, so would potentially hide blood relatively well, especially in the dark. This had me giving the benefit of the doubt to the female passenger who was with him when he was pulled over & arrested. Now knowing that the car has tan upholstery, there’s no way blood would’ve not been obvious. Plus, a large amount of blood would have a distinctive odor, yes? And, since bleach was found in his car, if he’d tried to clean with bleach, wouldn’t the car have reeked of bleach?

My theories on the female passenger include:

1.) She knew of the crime, so wasn’t surprised by the blood in his car & he didn’t need to hide it from her (this would fit with the theory of those who see a passenger in the front seat of the abduction video),

or

2.) He picked her up (as a friend) & she hopped into the car, having no idea of the crime. Then, perhaps she was too scared for her own safety to ask questions about any stains, wet spots, odors,

or

3.) He abducted her, too (the next night).

Any other ideas?

Oh, & 4.) Drugs. They were on drugs & nobody was asking the questions a non-inebriated person would likely ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong