Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had assumed that his black car would have black upholstery, so would potentially hide blood relatively well, especially in the dark. This had me giving the benefit of the doubt to the female passenger who was with him when he was pulled over & arrested. Now knowing that the car has tan upholstery, there’s no way blood would’ve not been obvious. Plus, a large amount of blood would have a distinctive odor, yes? And, since bleach was found in his car, if he’d tried to clean with bleach, wouldn’t the car have reeked of bleach?

My theories on the female passenger include:

1.) She knew of the crime, so wasn’t surprised by the blood in his car & he didn’t need to hide it from her (this would fit with the theory of those who see a passenger in the front seat of the abduction video),

or

2.) He picked her up (as a friend) & she hopped into the car, having no idea of the crime. Then, perhaps she was too scared for her own safety to ask questions about any stains, wet spots, odors,

or

3.) He abducted her, too (the next night).

Any other ideas?
When I hop into a friend’s car (supposing she was a friend/GF), I usually don’t inspect the backseat. You usually look to the front/left/right but not turn your head (unless there‘s maybe a backseat passenger or you grab something from behind).

Unless he was having some psychotic break (I’m not saying that with sarcasm) and unable to process the news/anything happening - it was everywhere. My best friend lives in Charleston and she told me about it before it made the news further up the east coast. She said it was all over social media as well down there.
And a quick search of her name on Facebook would have brought up the video of him picking her up.

We (more or less) know she wasn't shot.
The *RAGE* I can imagine that he had is terrifying. My stomach turns when I think of how Sami felt, trapped in that car.
Peaked in high school (basketball star), flunked out of college...? (Did he even really go to SCSU?!)
Absolutely no violent criminal record.
There are so many things that aren't adding up. I hope police can figure this thing out and fast. And hell isn't hot enough for the likes of him. I'm no fan of the death penalty, but in this case that's what I hope for.
ETA: Like I said earlier, I hope LE is investigating every missing woman between Cola and Mount Zion and everywhere surrounding. And If he has victimized other women who are still living, I hope they find the courage to come forward.
No violent criminal record for the murderer in the Closs case either. It’s weird when we see cases like this where there were no red flags (that we know of yet).

I had assumed that his black car would have black upholstery, so would potentially hide blood relatively well, especially in the dark. This had me giving the benefit of the doubt to the female passenger who was with him when he was pulled over & arrested. Now knowing that the car has tan upholstery, there’s no way blood would’ve not been obvious. Plus, a large amount of blood would have a distinctive odor, yes? And, since bleach was found in his car, if he’d tried to clean with bleach, wouldn’t the car have reeked of bleach?

My theories on the female passenger include:

1.) She knew of the crime, so wasn’t surprised by the blood in his car & he didn’t need to hide it from her (this would fit with the theory of those who see a passenger in the front seat of the abduction video),

or

2.) He picked her up (as a friend) & she hopped into the car, having no idea of the crime. Then, perhaps she was too scared for her own safety to ask questions about any stains, wet spots, odors,

or

3.) He abducted her, too (the next night).

Any other ideas?

Oh, & 4.) Drugs. They were on drugs & nobody was asking the questions a non-inebriated person would likely ask.

I agree about the light upholstery and the bleach smell, etc. I do think with number 2 that it is possible with her but he would have known what she would see or notice and I would think it would concern him and he would not want any witnesses...

I have thought of the drug thing and even a drunken thing but one would think if they were in that bad of a state, it was pretty stupid to be driving either night (chance of being pulled over) and not the wisest choice if wanting to appear as a sober uber driver...?

I think either she was with and knew all or most on the night of the abduction or she knew shortly afterwards.

That is what I think at the moment anyhow and just my opinion and I reserve the right to chance my mind :)

Regarding the female passenger and not noticing blood and the smell of bleach in the car - thinking he might have said that an intoxicated passenger got sick in the car and maybe he also threw a blanket over the stain. speculation, imo.

I would like to know if her purse, any money, credit cards, etc. were found and where. I do not think we know that do we? He had her phone, we know that...

In the video of her waiting, we don't see a purse. I assume she had a small wallet with ID, maybe debit card, cash. We have not heard that they were recovered. I just don't think she had a purse with her that evening

When I hop into a friend’s car (supposing she was a friend/GF), I usually don’t inspect the backseat. You usually look to the front/left/right but not turn your head (unless there‘s maybe a backseat passenger or you grab something from behind).

It is possible. But the person could always unexpectedly go to reach something in the back or bring something with and go to put it in the back, not sure how he could know that would not happen... It just seems one cannot count on that, nor on them not glancing as they get in. Also if it is the baby's mother, and it was 3 in the morning, there is a good chance they may have first have had to take the child to a sitter earlier in the night in a car seat in the back...

Just thoughts though. As we learn more, it will be clearer one would hope...

In the video of her waiting, we don't see a purse. I assume she had a small wallet with ID, maybe debit card, cash. We have not heard that they were recovered. I just don't think she had a purse with her that evening

Now that you mention it I do not remember seeing one either. I will have to go back and watch if I get time. Just wondering if robbery was part of this or one of the motives...

Regarding the female passenger and not noticing blood and the smell of bleach in the car - thinking he might have said that an intoxicated passenger got sick in the car and maybe he also threw a blanket over the stain. speculation, imo.

I was thinking the same or he said the kid threw up or tipped a drink over.

They only found him because of an alert patrol car noticing a black Impala returned to the area where the crime was committed. If he had stayed with friends or family in New Zion, we would be deep in the midst of an intense search.

He had a reason to return to Five Points, specifically. At 3 am. Some thoughts:

1. He had a job that revolved around evening work (like working in a bar or parking lot) and had to return to his job.

2 He lived in the immediate area and returned to that home

3. His gf and child live in the area

4. He was back stalking another victim

He strikes me as a basically good kid from a small town southern family who was a little spoiled ( siblings giving him money) and who couldn't cut it at school or any kind of career. He clearly lives some time in C0lumbia, SC, and doesn't really stay in New Zion. The October arrest for the pawn shop incident tells me he'd had some hard times, needed some extra cash. Whatever job he's doing isn't paying all the bills. Which include maintaining the baby, gf, and car. Drug sales would be the obvious choice, but he didn't really have enough on him when arrested to suggest he was dealing that night. But maybe he hangs around Five Points at 2-3 am to sell to drunk college kids. That's why he cruises. I dunno.

I don't think he would be living in Rosewood. Those are nicer homes there, not basic low-level apartments. That's more along the area where the pawn shop was. I don't see him ducking into a garage in a home in Rosewood.

I'll bet the woman with him at 3 am was his gf and the baby's mother. Was he taking her to a shiftwork job somewhere? Did he act as her pimp? I dunno that either.

I don't really think he was back in Five Points the next morning to stalk another victim. I think he had to return to the gf / baby and job. And I just wonder if the kidnapping was a robbery gone wrong and spun out of control.

I can only imagine how many times she pleaded to be let go. I wish she had had a gun. She would have only had to ask once

As a legal resident of NJ, I don't believe she would be able to carry a loaded gun into a bar in SC, because she wouldn't be eligible for a SC CWP permit:

The gun laws were changed in South Carolina in June 2018: Basically you can carry a gun (CWP) but you can't drink alcohol if carrying:

• Allows a Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) holder to carry a firearm into an establishment that serves alcohol, although that person cannot consume alcohol if carrying.
  • South Carolina will be the 46th state that has some form of legal carry in restaurants and other establishments that sell alcohol.
  • Allows an owner to ban individuals from carrying firearms in their establishment.
  • Removes proof-of-residency requirements and expands the range of acceptable photo identification that may be used when applying for a CWP.
  • Eliminates the 8-hour training requirement for a CWP handgun course, but maintains the topics that must be covered in that class.
  • Waives the CWP training requirements for individuals that can prove they have completed military basic training or are a retired law enforcement officer that can prove graduation from the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
  • Deletes the assumption of applicant endorsement by a local sheriff if the sheriff chooses not to comment on a CWP application.
  • Simplifies the permit renewal process, eliminates fingerprint checks for renewals, and increases the renewal time to five years.
  • Allows SLED to engage in electronic communication with an applicant.
  • Upon signature, SLED will provide all states with an update of our law.

However, I believe she could have carried pepper spray and that might have been able to save her life, although without a way to get to a window or open a door, might have been a significant problem for the both of them. Hell, I would have risked it to find a way to climb out of that car and away from him.

As a future law student with a goal to work at the UN, I don't think she would have risked her future career on carrying a weapon on a casual night out with girlfriends in a place she'd likely been before.

Last edited:
I use Uber often and always check the license plate, car type, and I try to match the face, but it is rather small. I always feel I am being rude when I check the tag and I don’t know why I would feel that way. I wonder if more people feel that way? I do it anyway. One Uber driver told me no one ever checks the tag and told me to keep doing it. I think our culture here is to show you trust people or it is rude (something like that and this isn’t the only reason people don’t check). We have to overcome this and value our safety.

One of my favorite podcasts, My Favotite Murder has a saying for this: “*advertiser censored** politeness”

When it comes to your safety, don’t be polite

It is very easy for a legit ride share driver to set up a crime with a non-driver friend, many articles available. I’m not linking as that’s not what happened here.
IMO, every precaution needs to be taken before putting one foot in a ride share vehicle.
As far as I can see, Uber only requires a clean background check for the last 7 years.

There really is a lot to be said for a designated driver.

it's not just Uber, Lyft, etc. Almost everyone I know has had at least one late night creepy cab driver experience too. Thankfully nothing that ended like this, but ranging from mildly uncomfortable to let me out of the bleeping cab now.

I had one years ago in Boston start talking about the "Faces of Death" videos, and how those "turned him on". Just out of the blue. Yeah, nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carrillom