Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
My heart aches for her sister, it was just the two of them. I honestly don't know how I'd carry on if something were to happen to my sister

Also just wanted to add Uber has a bunch of Safety/convenience factors that "regular" cabs today don't have like splitting the fare with friends you're sharing the uber with, a button you press in the app if you're in trouble that tells the Uber call center to call 911 and give your location and vehicle details, "Share my trip" which is probably the best one for piece of mind- you can share your real time location with anyone who can then track you while you're in an Uber. All of this stuff is right on their app. I actually feel very safe in Ubers, but to each their own. And of course all of this is only applicable in an actual Uber which we know Sami wasn't.

Oh and just FYI five points is always crowded. It's a mad house every weekend and many week nights. It's truly an experience for those who have never been but of course some bars are more crowded than others. I don't remember March Madness being anything special in Cola-we're not a basketball school- but this year since games were played at Colonial Life Arena I have a feeling it was a bigger deal this year than in years past.

I was going to point out every so often that this was not an Uber so they are not to blame. I appreciate their safety features and it is nice you get to watch where your taxi is at (yet I have seen that not work on occasion like it is supposed too.) My biggest thing is how well they vet their help and their turnover. I am sure it varies by city and state though.

I think the perp (I can't think of his name offhand which is just fine with me) has a few siblings--it was on his high school website. I think it was two sisters and a brother but don't quote me on that...

If she had used the emergency app, they would've known sooner that she was missing. I say use it anyway If emergency arises. But I'm guessing she couldn't even use 911.

That’s one of the big questions about what happened.

She would have received a text from the Uber driver that she had failed to show. Likely within minutes of getting into Rowlands’ vehicle.

What then transpired? How did she not have enough time to hit 911 or call a friend?

As someone upthread posted: Maybe he asked to see the phone, pretending that he was the Uber driver and then kept it didn’t return it.

She must have gone ballistic at that point.

So what happened?

If we learn Samantha’s last call or text
was the activity prior to the murder mobile arriving, I bet he made her surrender her phone immediately.

Blood was discovered in the trunk and passenger compartment of the vehicle Rowland was driving, police say. The blood was later confirmed to be that of Josephson by SLED.

Nathaniel Rowland: What we know about suspect in USC student Samantha Josephson homicide

I think it is easy to imagine this car interior covered in a horror show of blood, but the reality is likely that NR did clean it up, just not under the carpets or in the cracks, and the luminol will light it all up anyway. So, his female passenger may not have seen or suspected anything (especially at night).

fight with a girlfriend sounds about right, but I also wonder what happened with his siblings whom he says he was close to in his old (2011) Google page. seems like rage and if he were thinking, even if SJ meant nothing to him, would he have destroyed his car and his own life for a short period of rage and hate?

Perhaps this was a robbery and he used something in the car as a weapon when Sami fought him. Or perhaps it truly was a stalking with intent to kill. The kind of rage I attribute to NR is not short - it brews for years and years until the need to alleviate it overcomes all else.

Apparently he’s not well versed in interior detailing, either, which is awesome.
We’ve speculated about his employment, I’m crossing rocket scientist & auto detailer off my list of possibilities.

This made me laugh. In all seriousness, I think he is self-employed, going by what we know of him.

I was going to point out every so often that this was not an Uber so they are not to blame. I appreciate their safety features and it is nice you get to watch where your taxi is at (yet I have seen that not work on occasion like it is supposed too.) My biggest thing is how well they vet their help and their turnover. I am sure it varies by city and state though.

I think the perp (I can't think of his name offhand which is just fine with me) has a few siblings--it was on his high school website. I think it was two sisters and a brother but don't quote me on that...

No prob, his name isn’t important, ‘murderer’ suffices, imo.

Blood was discovered in the trunk and passenger compartment of the vehicle Rowland was driving, police say. The blood was later confirmed to be that of Josephson by SLED.

Nathaniel Rowland: What we know about suspect in USC student Samantha Josephson homicide

I think it is easy to imagine this car interior covered in a horror show of blood, but the reality is likely that NR did clean it up, just not under the carpets or in the cracks, and the luminol will light it all up anyway. So, his female passenger may not have seen or suspected anything (especially at night).

Perhaps this was a robbery and he used something in the car as a weapon when Sami fought him. Or perhaps it truly was a stalking with intent to kill. The kind of rage I attribute to NR is not short - it brews for years and years until the need to alleviate it overcomes all else.

This made me laugh. In all seriousness, I think he is self-employed, going by what we know of him.

Only speculating:

Maybe an unlicensed pharmaceutical salesman?

APR 1, 2019
Killing of South Carolina student who mistook car for Uber prompts rideshare-safety campaign
The University of South Carolina is launching a campaign to help students stay safe when using rideshares in light of the killing of a who got into a car she thought was her Uber.

[...]

After news of Josephson's death broke, University of South Carolina President Harris Pastides said the college would do everything it could to prevent another such death.

The new campaign is called, "What's My Name."

"We want every college student in America to take a pledge that says they will never get into a rideshare without first asking the driver, 'What's my name,' to make sure that they are getting in the right vehicle," Pastides said.

Pastides said the university has received worried calls from parents asking how they can keep their children safe using ridesharing.

The university offers shuttles and has a police presence, Pastides said, but he added that any problem of rideshare driver impersonators is more than just a local issue.

"This is really a national problem. We thought we had a safe city here and a safe campus, but this might happen again this weekend if a student gets into one of those vehicles and hasn't fully confirmed that it's the right vehicle," he said.

[...]

LE said there was ”a large amount of blood in the trunk”. And yes, the female acquaintaince may not have seen the trunk, but I’ll bet she could sure smell the bleach in the car

There were a number of postings last night about how the problems with real and faux ride-sharing assaults were increasing acr0ss the coutry and internationally.

I’m glad USC has taken it upon themselves to promote a campaign of safe identification.

I fully expect other universities to be responsible and follow suit. This must really be making parents anxious

Cody Alcorn‏Verified account @CodyAlcorn
SLED just released cause of death for Samantha Josephson. An autopsy indicated the cause of death was due to multiple sharp force injuries #breaking

1:28 PM - 1 Apr 2019 pst

Cody Alcorn‏Verified account @CodyAlcorn
JUST IN: SLED releases cause of death for Samantha Josephson. An autopsy indicated the cause of death was due to multiple sharp force injuries https://www.foxcarolina.com/investigations/i-don-t-want-anyone-to-ever-go-through-this/article_5102d362-5419-11e9-bb64-effe09fd2e94.html …

D3GCHDdXcAApWfm.png

1:27 PM - 1 Apr 2019 pst

There were a number of postings last night about how the problems with real and faux ride-sharing assaults were increasing acr0ss the coutry and internationally.

I’m glad USC has taken it upon themselves to promote a campaign of safe identification.

I fully expect other universities to be responsible and follow suit. This must really be making parents anxious

Inside Edition just did a segment. Can’t wait for it to appear online, Deborah’s expert shows how to check the child lock before getting in the car.

Tysm @Seattle1 so he was driving around with a large amount of blood still visible. Omg

Wanted to add, the segment on Inside Edition shows the childproof locks accessible
only by opening the rear door. I didn’t notice the make of the car used in tutorial.
My car has the controls on drivers door panel.
Do any of you have the control that are accessible from the open rear door?
Tysm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members