SC - Raniya Wright, 5th grader dies from fight at school, Mar 2019

When my son (now 22) was in 5th grade he was choked in the bathroom. Another student, thank goodness, walked in and pried the kid off my son. The kid was new to the school from being moved from another school due to issues. I was not called. My son came home with a stretched out shirt and finger marks around his neck. I immediately called the school and could not even get the principal to talk to me. Was told he'd call me back the next day. I should have went right to the police station. When he hadn't called by the end of the next day I went in and demanded he speak to me. He said he wanted to investigate the story before speaking to me to see what was true. He spoke to all 3 boys in the bathroom and did discover my son's story was true. The choker got in school suspension. Like what the heck is that....what kind of punishment? So much for zero tolerance. He went on to middle school with my son (amazingly he left my son alone after that). But was soon removed (or switched) from the middle school for issues. They just shift the problems around. The child who was involved with this story will likely be switched to another school in her district. He/she should get major mental health help though. And police charges should be filed...10 or 20 or 30, doesn't matter.
The person who people who killed this little girl should go to jail and should be arrested

DEAD is DEAD, Weapon or No Weapon. This was Murder.

True. Anything can become a lethal deadly weapon when used to do grave harm or to murder someone.

This is so heartbreaking. My heart weeps that something this horrific could happen on any school ground, where all children should be, and feel safe, and protected at all times.

Imo

I tried with the irving PD, they referred me back to the school and told me to file small claims for the cost of the glasses and the school refuses to give me any information on the parent (privacy law) and shes not in the same class finally got a kids last name but it appears by my searching the mom has a different last name , so went to the ISD office and they referred me back to the Irving PD , so I did the unthinkable and stalked the kid on the way home ( taking off from work ) and now have a complex with a apt # , still haven't found the parents name , but I have plans after work to knock on the door and see if this is a reasonable parent ( I will keep you all updated ) I really feel for this family , I really wonder what they had to go thru or if this was the first fight , if this little girl was bullies and scared I will be spitting nails more than I am right now !!!!

As much as I love the LEOs for their work, I feel like some can't be bothered for things like this.

I debated whether or not to comment on this tragedy as I am a retired teacher of 32 years in the classroom, mostly in middle grades. I thought I might be able to provide some perspective on the death of this child. I am in another state and do not know anyone or anything about the school system in Walterboro, SC. However, I do not live very far away. Violence can and does erupt in schools. It can occur in an instant in an otherwise peaceful setting. It often has no warning, and there is often only time for reaction when it does. The sad truth is that some children are brutally violent. There may or may not be earlier indications of the potential. If there are early indications, the threat can be alleviated. Most of the violent fights I witnessed and tried to intervene were unexpected--the middle school boy who for whatever reason decided to cross the recess area and beat another boy to unconsciousness with a palmed combination lock; the girl who stepped down out of the school bus one morning, jerked the girl behind her to the pavement, and beat her head against the blacktop until she was bleeding. I could go on. There were teachers and administrators among the students when both of these things happened. Again, no prevention available, just reaction which was instantaneous and damage was still sustained. I have seen fights erupt in a calm classroom just as in one in which chaos rules. I have seen a middle school age girl pick up a lunchroom table and throw it at another girl. Our classrooms are full of wonderful children. Our classrooms also contain volcanoes about to erupt. I do not know anything about this young girl who died. I pray for her family. I can offer them nothing that will alleviate their grief in any way. Until, and if, we ever learn the events causing this death, we can only speculate. If either child involved has an IEP under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the general public will learn very little.

I debated whether or not to comment on this tragedy as I am a retired teacher of 32 years in the classroom, mostly in middle grades. I thought I might be able to provide some perspective on the death of this child. I am in another state and do not know anyone or anything about the school system in Walterboro, SC. However, I do not live very far away. Violence can and does erupt in schools. It can occur in an instant in an otherwise peaceful setting. It often has no warning, and there is often only time for reaction when it does. The sad truth is that some children are brutally violent. There may or may not be earlier indications of the potential. If there are early indications, the threat can be alleviated. Most of the violent fights I witnessed and tried to intervene were unexpected--the middle school boy who for whatever reason decided to cross the recess area and beat another boy to unconsciousness with a palmed combination lock; the girl who stepped down out of the school bus one morning, jerked the girl behind her to the pavement, and beat her head against the blacktop until she was bleeding. I could go on. There were teachers and administrators among the students when both of these things happened. Again, no prevention available, just reaction which was instantaneous and damage was still sustained. I have seen fights erupt in a calm classroom just as in one in which chaos rules. I have seen a middle school age girl pick up a lunchroom table and throw it at another girl. Our classrooms are full of wonderful children. Our classrooms also contain volcanoes about to erupt. I do not know anything about this young girl who died. I pray for her family. I can offer them nothing that will alleviate their grief in any way. Until, and if, we ever learn the events causing this death, we can only speculate. If either child involved has an IEP under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the general public will learn very little.

Thank you Pearl for your insight as an educator!

I think we all just wish something could be done in these situations to stop these children before serious harm is done. imo

Yes, thank you very much for sharing your experience and perspective. Thank you, too, for teaching.

Sounds like they are going to do toxicology, because what else is going to take weeks? As far as I can tell, toxicology is standard when someone dies as a victim of a crime, because I doubt it's really necessary here, when the cause of death is presumably some sort of trauma.
The only thing that I can think of is that while it is standard to ensure that the violence was the cause of death, it is important to note if there were any mistakes made in her medical care that may have contributed to her death. She was treated at 2 hospitals, by EMS and at her school. While I don't think mistakes were made in her care, it would be important to know what drugs were in her system and their concentrations to answer any questions that may come up from the defense side of the aisle in relation to assault/battery vs. murder.

And the wording strikes me as odd. 'A child dies following a fight at school'. Um, seems more like an assault or attack. The word fight puts some blame on victim IMO.
I agree. The use of the term fight seems inappropriate to me. They shouldn't say that until there is any evidence to prove it. It seems she was a victim of bullying and this resulted in her death. I hope they fully explore what happened to this poor girl. But I'm not assuming she was in a fight.

The family still has not gotten any answers. And they are still calling it a school fight.

Father of SC girl killed in school fight ‘distraught’ by lack of information, lawyer says

I can't imagine what this little girl's family is going through right now. No parent should ever have to worry when they send their child off to school that their child might not make it back home alive!!

I have been checking in on this case on social media, people are getting very restless due to the lack of information being released. Things are getting very heated in some discussions with accusations being thrown around and also alleged death threats. I really hope that there is a press conference or something soon to inform the public of what's going on before someone else gets hurt!

From the article, BBM:

Attorney Mark Peper also stated that the school was aware of other, “altercations” in the classroom where the fight involving RaNiya Wright happened, adding his team has spoken to the teacher that was in the classroom that day.

I'm surprised that the teacher spoke to a lawyer of the family, I wonder if he/she has also a retained a lawyer?

“It’s been made pretty clear to us that there has been a pattern of behavior over the last really four or five years," Peper said

Did he mean there has been an issue between Raniya and the other student for four or five years? Or that the student who injured Raniya in the fight has had behavioral issues for four or five years?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back