Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/crim...awmakers-want-prevent-another-deadly-mistake/
[...]

The Samantha L. Josephson Ridesharing Safety Act would require drivers to clearly identify their ride-sharing vehicles by displaying illuminated signs when they are active. The signs must be visible both day and night, and are a step up from South Carolina law, which requires drivers to apply a reflective “signage or emblem” to their vehicle. The legislation also would require drivers to return the illuminated sign when they stop working for a ride-sharing app.

"I’m just sick about this,” state Rep. Seth Rose (D), one of the lawmakers who introduced the bill, told the State.

[...]
So anyone with 99 cents can order an illuminated sign from Ebay and be in business....with lawmakers like these no wonder why problems exist.

uber signs | eBay

I can't agree ENOUGH with this.

This whole website wouldn't exist if (mostly) women and children were safe in this world.

Scan through the topics and it's the same thing over and over again....

Predominantly, young women being harmed, 0ften while alone in a situation where an emergency signal might have helped them. It can be jogging, walking along a beautiful trail, out on a late run to the grocery store, walking on campus after a long night of studying, out at a celebration with friends, hanging out with a partner, even at home with a relative.

The specter of violence against women and children just seems to be getting stronger, or we know more about it because of media, but there are some things that can be done and using the emergency signal on your phone is certainly one of them!
Explayjoe to set that up please.

Listening to the vigil this evening for Samantha (Sammy) Josephson, held in her own hometown, I was taken back how two brutally murdered women, Shanann Watts and Sammy, seemed to share so many endearing qualities, and had so many close, friends.

I was fortunate enough to attend Shanann Watts' Celebration of Life held near her home in Frederick, Co. While I didn't intend to watch the entire hour long vigil for Sammy this evening, I couldn't walk away. As with SW, I was captured by the energy present in Robbinsville, NJ for Sammy. She was indeed a bright light, and truly explains why her family and friends would rather celebrate her than mourn her! Clearly, I don't think Sammy would want anything less.

You won't regret watching the vigil -- I highly recommend it.
Several links upthread.
I couldn't agree with you more @Seattle1. It's a wonderful group of young women we've had to mourn here lately:
Mollie Tibbetts, Shannan Watts, and now Sammy just to name a few. Such sad, unnecessary losses, but at least it looks like Sammy's death will not be in vain with the intense focus now on ride sharing safety.

As for the Beacon, I do like that, however it will be hard to implement across all drivers. I do not have one and it has nothing to do with cost $120.00. The only places I would find it useful would be at large events like concerts, or venues where multiple people are waiting for rides, I tend to avoid these events.

I have not seen any Uber drivers locally that have the Beacon but I am sure most drivers would not want to shell out the money for it. I toyed with the idea of getting one for myself but decided my driving does not warrant one. Out of thirteen hundred rides, I have only had three people refer to a color on their phone. I can see where SF would be a good market for the Beacon, just see it hard in all markets across all drivers unless Uber made it a requirement or supplied one.

Policies do not need to change or have new ones in place. Uber already has policies in place, whatever new policies they implement, if app malfunctions or people are not careful no policy will prevent these things from happening.

Their app is far from perfect and has multiple problems with different cell phone providers. In today's age they are a million miles behind where they need to be. Why in the world have they not figured out that their app should respond to voice commands? Say yes to accept, no to ignore. Having drivers use their app while driving is the equivalent of texting while driving.

I understand the dad wants new policies in place with rideshare but that has nothing to do with his daughter getting into a vehicle that was clearly not her Uber. Unfortunately people do get inebriated and let their guards down and their are people that troll the streets looking for victims at bar closing etc

Agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph. Also, my private investigator friend actually has a “fake UBER” light up sign for his car, he uses when he is doing surveillance. So obviously, as previously stated, anyone can get those signs, so getting a billed passed for illuminated signs doesn’t seem valuable to me.

RSBM

I think this is a wonderful idea . . . . . unless of course two people in close proximity select the same color. I could see where that would be an issue in crowded areas with lots of Ubers or other rideshare cars. MOO

I think it is a great idea too although I think something with more variety of choices would be even better, say have the rider pick a 4 or 5 digit code that can be digitally put up on the sign or that only the driver and rider know she/he picked. In fact, both could be done, even better. The likelihood of the color on the sign and the number given when scheduling the ride being the same as anyone else's would be slim to almost non-existent.

I guess it depends on how many colors they have to choose from... It is a great idea though.

I think it is a great idea too although I think something with more variety of choices would be even better, say have the rider pick a 4 or 5 digit code that can be digitally put up on the sign or that only the driver and rider know she/he picked. In fact, both could be done, even better. The likelihood of the color on the sign and the number given when scheduling the ride being the same as anyone else's would be slim to almost non-existent.

I guess it depends on how many colors they have to choose from... It is a great idea though.

I realize these are good ideas especially the numbers along with colors, none of this would have saved here life, she did not check vehicle, license plate nor pic of driver, what makes anyone think she would have checked more if that was in place

I realize these are good ideas especially the numbers along with colors, none of this would have saved here life, she did not check vehicle, license plate nor pic of driver, what makes anyone think she would have checked more if that was in place

I do not disagree at all but with a push for more awareness, to take more responsibility and check these things and to have these things, it may make a difference for someone in the future.

We are all taught to check for cars before we cross the street and that has stuck with us, I guess these sorts of safety checks need to become second nature as well.

That being said, it does not mean all will use these things or pay attention to always doing so.

I do however think generally it is a good idea.

Samantha Josephson Funeral To Be Held As New Details Emerge

Final tributes have been coming for 21-year-old Samantha Josephson as the family prepares for her funeral on Wednesday (see videos below).

Just as family and friends prepare to say goodbye, new details about the alleged killer have emerged several days after the University of South Carolina student got into the wrong car – the car driven by the suspect, police say – that Samantha thought was her Uber ride.

The funeral will be held on Wednesday at 12 p.m., with services at Congregation Beth Chaim at 329 Village Rd. East in Princeton Junction. More than 1,000 people are expected to attend. Patch will provide information on the funeral as details are released to the public.

Didn't actually see any new details. I feel sad for this family that they can't have her funeral in peace without media. :(

I did not see it on the first link and nothing close to it but I did on this link. If he immediately knew something was wrong, it begs the question why was no one called? Until much later the next day? It just does not add up. Is anyone familiar with this news source? When I first saw it I thought it stood for Wisconsin TV and clearly it does not. I have never seen it until this case.
My guess is that he was concerned but didn't call right away since his first thought was probably not that she was kidnapped and murdered.
Maybe he considered the possibility that she got a ride from a friend and spent the night there. Imo

Samantha Josephson Funeral To Be Held As New Details Emerge

Didn't actually see any new details. I feel sad for this family that they can't have her funeral in peace without media. :(

I agree. Can't media be off limits for funerals at the very least? Recording other people's grief? Or expecting grievers to make a comment on such a day? It is totally disrespectful and unnecessary. Cover the vigil, etc., that is somewhat understandable. Do they ever go cover everyday funerals that are not the result of a crime? Of course not. jmo.

I completely agree.

What are the odds he had his phone with him and that it can place him in at the place and times in question? I suppose he can say the phantom one armed man took it as well? I’d guess his dna will be found on her and that will also be met with explanations.

And I think this case will come down to reasonable doubt. His alibi, unless some airtight eyewitness video proves he was passed out at a party, (to me) is far removed from reasonable.
Yes, killers almost always leave something of themselves behind, even when they are meticulous at covering up. This guy obviously wasn't. I think there will be plenty of evidence. Imo

I couldn't agree with you more @Seattle1. It's a wonderful group of young women we've had to mourn here lately:
Mollie Tibbetts, Shannan Watts, and now Sammy just to name a few. Such sad, unnecessary losses, but at least it looks like Sammy's death will not be in vain with the intense focus now on ride sharing safety.

It's truly awful something so tragic had to happen to gain this much attention to safety with rideshare companies and the dangers associated with using them but I am beyond thrilled to see all this positive change Samanatha's legacy has and will continue to have. All of us, male female black white green and purple need to be aware of our surroundings and realize anything can happen at any moment. Laws are already changing and it hasn't even been a week since Samantha was murdered. Bravo to the policymakers and those rallying for changes for really stepping up to the plate to do what they can to make this world we live in a little more safe!

As opposed to doing nothing, I don't think it's a bad idea. However, I haven't read the proposed legislation. Have you? MOO
Well, if "Say my name," is part of it as well, I would think it would significantly lower the chances of getting in the wrong car. What are the chances that a killer will guess both a color and a name?

Man accused of impersonating rideshare driver, raping woman in White Center

This was also just on HLN. Another impersonating a taxi driver case. It was reported shortly after it happened but for some reason, just today they seem to be choosing to release this video they have. I hope people see it and help find him.

I would bet SJ's case maybe helped prompt the release of the video. They also state it is because other leads have been exhausted.

My guess is that he was concerned but didn't call right away since his first thought was probably not that she was kidnapped and murdered.
Maybe he considered the possibility that she got a ride from a friend and spent the night there. Imo

I am sure there was a good reason, he likely started trying to call friends, etc. and reach her. I thought he said he was talking to her but I would have to go back and listen to it again. I wonder where the tracking stopped or if it did stop with regard to the perp's route.

Man accused of impersonating rideshare driver, raping woman in White Center

This was also just on HLN. Another impersonating a taxi driver case. It was reported shortly after it happened but for some reason, just today they seem to be choosing to release this video they have. I hope people see it and help find him.

I would bet SJ's case maybe helped prompt the release of the video. They also state it is because other leads have been exhausted.

Not victim shaming/blaming here but this fellow seems awful helpful. He seems to have keys. Did he hand the girl his phone to call someone, would that person have the call on their history?Anyway not anything to discuss on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty2009