Found Deceased UK - Maja O’Brien, 78, Oxford, 8 March 2019

upload_2019-3-31_23-35-40.jpeg

Musician, 78, vanishes on a bicycle trip to have her prized flute cleaned prompting police appeal for information

• Maja O’Brien, 78, believed to have left Oxford home last Thursday on her bicycle
  • Was thought to be carrying her much-prized flute on way to getting it cleaned
  • So far extensive searches have failed to produce any clues to her disappearance
  • She was last seen on Wednesday evening by friends but Thames Valley Police believe ‘she returned home and subsequently left her address between about 5am and 9am on Thursday.’
    ‘Maja is around 5ft 6in tall, of average build, with short grey hair and brown eyes.

Musician, 78, vanishes on a bicycle trip to have her prized flute cleaned | Daily Mail Online

upload_2019-3-31_23-38-50.jpeg

Police search for missing flautist

View attachment 177349

Musician, 78, vanishes on a bicycle trip to have her prized flute cleaned prompting police appeal for information

Glad you posted the above with more info. I went down a bit of a red herring wondering if there was any connection with Claudia Easom. I doubt it -most people in Oxford have bikes and a lot of people in Oxford are slightly older artistic ladies.

However, what worries me is what route this lady took with her bike. You can get onto the river and cycle into town or up to Donnington Bridge near her location. It is not unknown for a cyclist to get blown into the river. (My mother says this happened to her teacher when she was at boarding school in Oxford.) It also happened to a friend of mine's child when our kids were young -thankfully, another friend rescued them. They are looking for a bike. I want to know where the Eastern man who she may have been visiting to mend the flute lived as this might give a clue as to whether this lady took the river route towards town or Donnington Bridge. Hoping against hope this is not what happened. I see they think she came home again, but any trip anywhere on a bike might also involve the river if you live in that area. You get down to the river by the Four Pillars and it is a nicer trip to town than on the road. (Or up towards Donnington or Iffley or even beyond that.)

Last edited:
Glad you posted the above with more info. I went down a bit of a red herring wondering if there was any connection with Claudia Easom. I doubt it -most people in Oxford have bikes and a lot of people in Oxford are slightly older artistic ladies.

However, what worries me is what route this lady took with her bike. You can get onto the river and cycle into town or up to Donnington Bridge near her location. It is not unknown for a cyclist to get blown into the river. (My mother says this happened to her teacher when she was at boarding school in Oxford.) It also happened to a friend of mine's child when our kids were young -thankfully, another friend rescued them. They are looking for a bike. I want to know where the Eastern man who she may have been visiting to mend the flute lived as this might give a clue as to whether this lady took the river route towards town or Donnington Bridge. Hoping against hope this is not what happened.
Yes, it seemed we were creating posts at the same time so I asked the mods to merge them.
Sad that another woman has disappeared the same week they found Claudia Easom.

Yes, it seemed we were creating posts at the same time so I asked the mods to merge them.
Sad that another woman has disappeared the same week they found Claudia Easom.

I am beginning to feel like every place I lived in Oxford has a missing person connected to it. The reality is that Oxford is not that big and even outside the city centre most places within the ring road are not that far.

Surely, if you own a flute in Oxford and have it cleaned, there cannot be that many people who do this. So is there an Oxford flute playing community or some orchestra Maja belonged to? Even a music teacher might make a recommendation. Who would Oxford flute players go to?

Last edited:
Missing flautist 'was incredibly happy'

Maja O'Brien: Missing flautist 'was incredibly happy'
Maja O'Brien, 78, is thought to have left her home in Oxford between about 05:00 and 09:00 GMT on Thursday.

Her daughter Petra, 41, said her mother had taken her flute with her and would never normally deviate from her routine.

She said her mother's disappearance was "incredibly distressing" for her family.

Police said Ms O'Brien was last seen by friends on Wednesday evening, and her bicycle was also missing.

Her daughter said: "She was really strong-willed, she didn't even start playing the flute until after she retired.

"And she was just incredibly happy with every aspect of her life, she would never just go off like this."

She said Ms O'Brian's flute was worth about £2,000 and she had been due to attend a concert later on the day she went missing.

However, what worries me is what route this lady took with her bike. You can get onto the river and cycle into town or up to Donnington Bridge near her location. It is not unknown for a cyclist to get blown into the river. (My mother says this happened to her teacher when she was at boarding school in Oxford.) It also happened to a friend of mine's child when our kids were young -thankfully, another friend rescued them. They are looking for a bike. I want to know where the Eastern man who she may have been visiting to mend the flute lived as this might give a clue as to whether this lady took the river route towards town or Donnington Bridge. Hoping against hope this is not what happened. I see they think she came home again, but any trip anywhere on a bike might also involve the river if you live in that area. You get down to the river by the Four Pillars and it is a nicer trip to town than on the road. (Or up towards Donnington or Iffley or even beyond that.)

What was the weather like locally on the evening of Maja's disappearance, do you know please?
How likely is it that a bike in the river would be noticed? Is the river (is it the Thames?) deep in the area? TIA

just to add - How busy would Maja's proposed route be at that specific time of day?

Missing flautist 'was incredibly happy'

In answer to the above, I cannot remember what it was like at all, but we had some bad wind last week. I live South of Oxford and the weather can be quite different. It might depend on where a bike entered the river as some parts are deep, It is the Thames by New Hinksey, not the Cherwell. The river route can be deserted or surprisingly busy at any time. It is always busy on the Abingdon Road where the Four Pillars is. Abingdon Road leads straight into town. (Or up towards the ring road.)

All the BBC really tell us is that Maja was not depressed.

Thanks for that link Jackalyn. I see the description given of her clothing was previously incorrect. Hopefully they may spot her on CCTV or dashcams now they are sure of her outerwear colours.

From your link above:-
Earlier information suggested Maja was wearing a red coat, but police now believe she was in fact sporting an olive coloured jacket, a red tracksuit and walking boots.

But no bike? While there seems to be no connection it does seem odd two older women are found in water within weeks of each other and not in main rivers or canals. More out of the way in both cases. Where is the flute? Both women found close to the place they went missing. IMO while it may be a coincidence I hope there will be an investigation beyond "unexplained."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buybuyavto
Back