The JonBenet Ramsey Case in popular culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have also seen it in other cases like the Maura Murray case but there is of course JonBenet Ramsey based art which of course will not be everyone's cup of tea as such:

6fedf2e644c13d3e3584ea749554ef79--patsy-ramsey-art-art.jpg

Mother's Day painting (Patsy Ramsey) | ART | art | Painting, Art, Patsy ramsey

Difference case but this thread is about crimes in popular culture and here is some artwork based on the Dispparance of Maura Murray:

not_without_peril_by_elluna-d4p6lpy.jpg

Not Without Peril

the_disappearance_of_maura_murray__movie_poster__by_olieng-d9cvywg.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

This is perhaps not quite popular culture but it shows the impact of the case on American Society. Here is someone doing a presentation about the case:

The only other case that even comes close to JonBenét's is Madeleine McCann's in terms of pop culture and public opinion. JonBenét was found in her own house, the whole situation is totally sketchy, a bunch of questions are still being asked to this very day. The fact that we don't know for sure what went down is what keep people talking.
Not sure if y'all have seen this:
jon-benet-ramsey-memorial-beauty-set-7145-1278429761-4.jpg

You mention the Madeleine McCann case and here is a recent report about it:

Portuguese newspaper makes crazy claim missing Maddie's mother was an 'MI5 spy' | Daily Mail Online

It is true there is also wild speculation in this case like the JonBenet Ramsey case.

Of course Burke Ramsey appeared on Dr Phil and I thought Dr Phil did a good job. Here is an interview with Dr Phil which mentions the case. I not adverse to a bit of popular culture myself but the program is presented by a former Playmate:

@11:20

JM: When you interviewed Jonbenet's brother
DP: Yes
JM: uhm That interview it was incredible,
just to, to witness
and watch his face.
He was smiling at you,
the whole time Dr Phil.
And I know people when they get nervous, they smile,
but it was a different kind of awkward smile.
DP: Look, awkward's the right word.
JM: Yes
DP: ya He is socially awkward and
you have to understand
since this, this guy was 10 years old,
he has been under suspicion,
he has been in the spotlight.
He has had to hide.
He did not get socialized,
like other people.
And I can tell you with
100% certaintly, he did not
kill his little sister.
JM: That's what I wondered
DP: And when people saw that, ah,
I even went on ah facebook live,
between shows that I was doing with him
to say "Guys, this smile that you're seeing is anxiety"
JM: Okay
DP: Because I would talk to him,
when he would get on camera
he would kind of freeze up,
I would talk to him off camera,
and he was really a pretty normal guy.
JM: okay
DP: ah but
JM: That's good to know
DP: it was just anxiety,
i, it was just an awkward
anxiety that, that he had.
But he didn't kill her and
of course the network
ran a series that said
he did.
JM: Oh that's right,
that special, that, yep, that doc
DP: And they got sued
and they settled for
a... lot ... of money
for saying he killed his sister.

Last edited:
@11:20

JM: When you interviewed Jonbenet's brother
DP: Yes
JM: uhm That interview it was incredible,
just to, to witness
and watch his face.
He was smiling at you,
the whole time Dr Phil.
And I know people when they get nervous, they smile,
but it was a different kind of awkward smile.
DP: Look, awkward's the right word.
JM: Yes
DP: ya He is socially awkward and
you have to understand
since this, this guy was 10 years old,
he has been under suspicion,
he has been in the spotlight.
He has had to hide.
He did not get socialized,
like other people.
And I can tell you with
100% certaintly, he did not
kill his little sister.
JM: That's what I wondered
DP: And when people saw that, ah,
I even went on ah facebook live,
between shows that I was doing with him
to say "Guys, this smile that you're seeing is anxiety"
JM: Okay
DP: Because I would talk to him,
when he would get on camera
he would kind of freeze up,
I would talk to him off camera,
JM: okay
DP: ah but
JM: That's good to know
DP: it was just anxiety,
i, it was just an awkward
anxiety that, that he had.
But he didn't kill her and
of course the network
ran a series that said
he did.
JM: Oh that's right,
that special, that, yep, that doc
DP: And they got sued
and they settled for
a... lot ... of money
for saying he killed his sister.

Tadpole12,
He did not get socialized, like other people.
And I can tell you with 100% certaintly, he did not kill his little sister.
We believe ya Dr. Phil, because we know you were hiding in the attic and heard it all, LOL.

100% certaintly
Wow, where does he get that, nobody but JR or BR knows the truth.

Yet if I was Dr Phil I might say all the same stuff, since JR or BR might want to do more interviews, that puts food on the table, pays the IRS, etc.

He did not get socialized, like other people.
I do not agree, he went to school, then university, took his exams and socialized fine there. Remember the girlfriend photographs, or was that fake news? He seems to get along OK in his work environment.

Any inability to socialize likely predates JonBenet's death and is not a consequence of it, other than avoiding the media and the red top culture.

Really how come he hides away in his gated community?

That constant smiling on the Dr Phil show by Burke could just as easily be an autism defence mechanism, one guy I know, who is diagnosed with an Autism Medical Condition, behaves in a similar way and adds in Talking To Much or over explaining since he cannot read the cues from other folks saying they get what he is meaning.

BTW its not just the smiling it was the staring too, the minimal saccade action, if any at all. Suggesting an Autism Condition?

Add in his remarks about JonBenet Flaunting Herself in public, all suggests a deficit somewhere?

heyya UK

I wonder if Dr Phil's tell is the stuttering and the repetion of words?
I can't imagine DP being disingenuous?

"and he was really a pretty normal guy."

Not exactly a reassuring or complimentary statement. Same thing the neighbours of a serial killer say post his arrest?
Statement begs for a tail end .....
But …...

heyya UK

I can't imagine DP being disingenuous?

"and he was really a pretty normal guy."

Not exactly a reassuring or complimentary statement. Same thing the neighbours of a serial killer say post his arrest?
Statement begs for a tail end .....
But …...

Tadpole12,
Who knows, he is legally trained so knows all the right things to say, yet he was hired to promote BR's image and whitewash the R's, on this score he failed, well Burke did !

Remember such a big fail DP ran an extra episode to talk Burke up.

100% agree. The thing is if Burke was a pretty normal guy the issue would not arise and DP's services would not be required as Burke could talk for himself.

Saying Burke was not socialized is just an excuse to cover for whatever Autism Condition Burke has. A partial pass for Burke might be what he was saying was all scripted by JR and DP, so it all comes out wrong?

Can anyone imagine JR and DP thinking, Hey, we'll get Burke to say JonBenet was Flaunting Herself In Public, that will push the ratings up?

That remark by Burke underpins the sociopathic pedophile theory, where some pedophile has been observing JonBenet at her pageants, and is attracted by some of JonBenet's routines, i.e. Flaunting.

So in Burke's defence he could have been fed his lines by DP and JR and given his mannerisms, i.e. the ear to ear smiling, the intense looking and blurting out his lines at the wrong moment, could all feed into a perfect storm of incredulity for DP's audience?

DP should ask Burke next time he appears, e.g.

DP: Burke James Kolar says you opened some Christmas Gifts on Christmas Day Afternoon, is this correct?

BR: Yes.

DP: Did you observe any underwear in the gifts that you opened?

Ok, cool... Burke may have not been the one to actually kill her, but what about the lead up to that moment?
All round, what a horrible life he is living - thanks to his parents.

Of course this thread is about the JonBenet Ramsey case in popular culture but I posted a video about Dr Phil and mentioned Burke. This case is about opinions and I do not think Burke killed his sister. I actually think Burke as a child got it right when he said an intruder entered their home. I do not think that a child could commit such a brutal murder. Burke Ramsey has suffered a great deal and lived in the shadow of his sisters murder. Only the other day I was reading a post on another board by someone who in my opinion should know better accusing him of the crime and I happen to think The Case Of JonBenet Ramsey is rather nasty towards him and their theories do not bear up to much critical scrutiny. As I say until we know the answers this case is unfortunately about all of our theories and opinions. I think Dr Phil is right and like Nancy Grace I am scared of him:)

This is perhaps not quite popular culture but it shows the impact of the case on American Society. Here is someone doing a presentation about the case:

I find these videos interesting were groups of youngsters/students seem to study the case as some kind of assignment:

It appears someone has written a play as if JonBenet was still alive but unfortunately as we all know she is not:

Read & Download Book An Evening with JonBenet Ramsey By Walter A. Davis

Here is the synopsis:

An Evening With JonBenet Ramsey begins with a full-length play, Cowboy's Sweetheart, which imagines the life of a murdered child as it might have evolved had she lived. The play explores the character's psyche and her struggle to deal with the traumatic memories that haunt her. The play is followed by two essays. The first essay considers the JonBenet Ramsey case from a psAn Evening With JonBenet Ramsey begins with a full-length play, Cowboy's Sweetheart, which imagines the life of a murdered child as it might have evolved had she lived. The play explores the character's psyche and her struggle to deal with the traumatic memories that haunt her. The play is followed by two essays. The first essay considers the JonBenet Ramsey case from a psychoanalytic perspective. The discussion includes a critique of the media and of the two theories that have been developed to solve the crime; a consideration of the psychological and moral issues posed by the case; and an examination of what the case reveals about American society and the American family. The second essay derives from that discussion a new view of the goal of serious theatre: the public airing of tragic secrets about our most intimate institutions--such as the family--and the effect that such representation has on an audience when it is moved to confront the buried emotional conflicts central to our society.

It appears someone has written a play as if JonBenet was still alive but unfortunately as we all know she is not:

Read & Download Book An Evening with JonBenet Ramsey By Walter A. Davis

Here is the synopsis:

An Evening With JonBenet Ramsey begins with a full-length play, Cowboy's Sweetheart, which imagines the life of a murdered child as it might have evolved had she lived. The play explores the character's psyche and her struggle to deal with the traumatic memories that haunt her. The play is followed by two essays. The first essay considers the JonBenet Ramsey case from a psAn Evening With JonBenet Ramsey begins with a full-length play, Cowboy's Sweetheart, which imagines the life of a murdered child as it might have evolved had she lived. The play explores the character's psyche and her struggle to deal with the traumatic memories that haunt her. The play is followed by two essays. The first essay considers the JonBenet Ramsey case from a psychoanalytic perspective. The discussion includes a critique of the media and of the two theories that have been developed to solve the crime; a consideration of the psychological and moral issues posed by the case; and an examination of what the case reveals about American society and the American family. The second essay derives from that discussion a new view of the goal of serious theatre: the public airing of tragic secrets about our most intimate institutions--such as the family--and the effect that such representation has on an audience when it is moved to confront the buried emotional conflicts central to our society.

Of course I find the subject interesting but not sure I like this kind of thing that much as we are talking about a murdered six year old girl of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong