MI MI - Oakland County Child Killer, "The Babysitter Murders" , 1976-77 #2

I guess it goes with out saying that Busch was that heavy set man. But who was the other one? The man in the police sketch looks too old to have been Gregory Greene (who might have already been incarcerated, anyway). Of all the people named, I think Arch Sloan bears the closest resemblance to the sketch, but he wasn't interested in girls, and neither was Christopher Busch (so far as we know), yet two of the victims were female.

If Busch and Sloan were both in on this, how would they have met? I haven't seen any connection mentioned.

We should make a list of government officials or business leaders who would have had enough pull to deep six the investigation into Busch back in '77/'78.

Johannes E. Spreen was the Oakland County Sheriff at that time; John F. Nichols was the Undersheriff and later became Sheriff. I don't think either of them would have had the clout—not with multiple agencies involved. It seems like it must have been someone with far more power; I'm just not sure who that would have been.

Then again, maybe someone lower down the totem pole took a bribe—some random member of the investigative team who was able to spread misinformation and make evidence and documents disappear when no one was looking. I'm not sure who that would have been, either.

I have been following along and have been watching the documentaries on the murders. This case has always fascinated me.

As to your question above, about why these guys may have taken young girls, since we know they liked to rape boys.

IIRC, there was no evidence of sexual assault on the girls remains. I am wondering if they were taken, for the 'joy' of abusing or mentally torturing them during the time they were captive? And maybe the sexual satisfaction came just from the act of killing them? ughhh

Spreen was the Detroit police chief, right? I suspect that while Detroit PD sent investigators to help, they had their own fish to fry, Detroit had no shortage of murders during that period.

Nichols, I can't place the name

Yes, I think that Patterson either chose to, or was encouraged to, look the other way about Christopher Busch. Busch's father was very influential AND a serious political campaign donor.

Finally, I have a witness who I am interviewing in the next couple of weeks, she told police about the man who kept trying to get her from her school bus stop. She was told, "that's not who we are looking for"

Galling.

a message from Cathy, the sister of Tim King, the last known victim:

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-25_15-7-42.png
    upload_2019-2-25_15-7-42.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 31
Spreen was the Detroit police chief, right? I suspect that while Detroit PD sent investigators to help, they had their own fish to fry, Detroit had no shortage of murders during that period.

Nichols, I can't place the name

Yes, I think that Patterson either chose to, or was encouraged to, look the other way about Christopher Busch. Busch's father was very influential AND a serious political campaign donor.

Finally, I have a witness who I am interviewing in the next couple of weeks, she told police about the man who kept trying to get her from her school bus stop. She was told, "that's not who we are looking for"

Galling.
Spreen was the Detroit police chief for a few years in the late 60s and early 70s, but through the mid 70s he was the Oakland County Sheriff. Nichols was Undersheriff for most of Spreen's watch. Apparently Nichols left in '77 to become the Chief of Police in Farmington Hills, so I guess he was off doing other things at the time Busch showed up on the task force's radar, but he ended up being Sheriff himself from 1985 until his death in '98. I'm not sure who took over as Undersheriff when Nichols left in '77.

OBITUARY: Johannes Spreen, 93, served as Oakland County Sheriff

20 Dec 1998, Page 25 - Detroit Free Press at Newspapers.com

Do you think Busch was the guy who tried to get the girl from her bus stop?

Now that I know that Busch's father was a political donor, I can understand why certain people covered up his son's involvement in the OCCK case. CFO's didn't make the kind of money back then that they do today, so I didn't think his wealth alone was an valid explanation for his preferential treatment. He might have been rich by '70s standards, but he wasn't J. Paul Getty.

Last edited:
I think we have a very current example of how this type of corrupt cover up happens:

Lawmakers issue call for investigation of serial sex abuser Jeffrey Epstein’s plea deal
BY JULIE K. BROWN,

A Miami Herald investigation into Palm Beach hedge fund manager Jeffrey Epstein's sexual pyramid scheme targeting underage girls– and why he's a free man today.
By Emily Michot | Julie K. Brown
More than two dozen lawmakers are demanding an investigation into possible misconduct by U.S. Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta, who, as a former federal prosecutor in Miami, helped broker a secret plea deal for a multimillionaire accused of running an underage sex trafficking network.

Epstein, 65, a Palm Beach hedge fund manager, faced a possible life sentence for molesting dozens of girls, but was instead granted federal immunity as part of a non-prosecution agreement approved by Acosta when he was U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Florida.

Read more here: Lawmakers issue call for investigation of serial sex abuser Jeffrey Epstein’s plea deal

The reason this ^^^ case is important is because it illustrates how these cover ups happen. In my opinion, they happen because the 'defendant' has blackmail type of information on the people who are able to help cover things up.

Which may have happened with the Busch family back then too. Maybe Busch Senior knew a lot of people with skeletons in their own closets?

No, she's seen photos of Busch (and Sloan and Lamborgine) and said they weren't the guy. I even showed her an old photo of Art Ream, nope.

I agree that Busch's family wasn't making "J Paul Getty" money, but the house they lived in at the time of the murders is now valued at $1.7M they had PLENTY of cash. They also could afford to send their boys to boarding school in Europe, and Mrs Busch had a car and driver. Coming up with $20k, $50k or even $100k to make something go away wouldn't be too difficult.

No, she's seen photos of Busch (and Sloan and Lamborgine) and said they weren't the guy. I even showed her an old photo of Art Ream, nope.

I agree that Busch's family wasn't making "J Paul Getty" money, but the house they lived in at the time of the murders is now valued at $1.7M they had PLENTY of cash. They also could afford to send their boys to boarding school in Europe, and Mrs Busch had a car and driver. Coming up with $20k, $50k or even $100k to make something go away wouldn't be too difficult.
Do you know anything about bank records? Are they retained permanently? It would be interesting to know whether anyone connected to the case on the LE side had a large cash deposit that matched a large cash withdrawal by the Busches. Even if they had easy access to cash, I doubt they'd have kept that much around the house (but who knows for sure).

Ozoner, I'm interested in seeing donations made to Patterson's political campaigns over the next decade.

YMMV
True—they could have been the ones who "made" Patterson, with smaller amounts here and there through the years. He didn't have much influence in the mid 70s, but his star certainly rose after that.

a 2 part episode on "Crime Junkie" podcast was just posted this week exploring ties between Oakland County / North Fox Island. I had never heard of these cases before so I don't know if the podcaster presented anything new. It sure gave me the creeps though to think these people are still out there and getting away with who knows what else.
You should check out my episode, Episode 8 - The Ring - Don't Talk to Strangers - Omny.fm

Definitely new information here.

I think we have a very current example of how this type of corrupt cover up happens:

Lawmakers issue call for investigation of serial sex abuser Jeffrey Epstein’s plea deal
BY JULIE K. BROWN,

A Miami Herald investigation into Palm Beach hedge fund manager Jeffrey Epstein's sexual pyramid scheme targeting underage girls– and why he's a free man today.
By Emily Michot | Julie K. Brown
More than two dozen lawmakers are demanding an investigation into possible misconduct by U.S. Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta, who, as a former federal prosecutor in Miami, helped broker a secret plea deal for a multimillionaire accused of running an underage sex trafficking network.

Epstein, 65, a Palm Beach hedge fund manager, faced a possible life sentence for molesting dozens of girls, but was instead granted federal immunity as part of a non-prosecution agreement approved by Acosta when he was U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Florida.

Read more here: Lawmakers issue call for investigation of serial sex abuser Jeffrey Epstein’s plea deal

The reason this ^^^ case is important is because it illustrates how these cover ups happen. In my opinion, they happen because the 'defendant' has blackmail type of information on the people who are able to help cover things up.

Which may have happened with the Busch family back then too. Maybe Busch Senior knew a lot of people with skeletons in their own closets?
Another example...That gymnastics doctor molester (also from Michigan - interesting coincidence) violated hundred + girls right under the noses of their parents and coaches. There were colleagues who caught on over the years and they turned a blind eye, suppressed reports, and bullied victims without any obvious pay offs or blackmail threats. it is eye opening how little they had to gain from not doing their legal duty and speaking up (or just firing him!!!). seems irrational choice for people to put their reputations on the line for a compulsive predator. the gymnastic dr is just one person yet a cover up cloud practically formed in his wake without him asking. So I can only imagine that an organized group of predators with some means could coordinate a highly effective and far-reaching strategy to keep themselves out of trouble.

Oakland-County-Child-Killer-Victims-.png

Victims Confirmed:
Mark Stebbins, 12, February 15, 1976.
Jill Robinson, 12, December 22, 1976.
Kristine Mihelich, 10, January 2, 1977.
Timothy King, 11, March 16, 1977.

Victims Suspected:
Cynthia Cadieux, 16, January 15, 1976.
Jane Allan, 14, August 7, 1976.

Suspected Victim (disproved):
Sheila Srock, 14, January 20, 1976. Oliver Rhodes Andrews confessed to and was convicted of her murder.

Some people believe that it was a coerced conviction in Cadieux's case, it's also suspicious that three men were involved, but one died prior to the trial but is "unnamed"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back