Found Safe CA - Michael Mercado, 25, two children, 7 & 2, Butte County, Sterling City, 14 April 2019

Did the mother have the 2nd set of keys? Curious to know if they attempted to start the vehicle/confirm whether it was not operable, thus the likely reasoning for their leaving the safety of the vehicle or if all was working/fine; in which case, that would be very puzzling.

I am curious if this is a spot that they have done this sort of thing previously? How did she know where to go look for them there? Was the Jeep located in an open area? It sounds as if where it was located was not far off the beaten path and fairly close to where they would be able to find help if need be. At least from the posts she made.

A commenter on the sheriffs office FB page wrote this about the location of the Jeep:

“The vehicle is at the top of powellton where it branches off to the old pioneer cemetery and the A-line, they reported that foot prints were seen by the vehicle and heading down powellton, my husband went up there and gave them a better idea of what direction goes where beings most don't know the area as well, they won't let any of us help due to the dogs and tracking scent, I can't imagine those children being out there and not being able to help search, hoping they are found really soon.this info comes from earlier this afternoon”

A commenter on the sheriffs office FB page wrote this about the location of the Jeep:

“The vehicle is at the top of powellton where it branches off to the old pioneer cemetery and the A-line, they reported that foot prints were seen by the vehicle and heading down powellton, my husband went up there and gave them a better idea of what direction goes where beings most don't know the area as well, they won't let any of us help due to the dogs and tracking scent, I can't imagine those children being out there and not being able to help search, hoping they are found really soon.this info comes from earlier this afternoon”
I'm glad I'm not the only one up too late watching this thread. I understand the limited search. I'm federal LEO and I've worked with both search and scent dogs and they need a field that's minimally contaminated by other persons. Hopefully, the family found a cabin or other shelter or the father had means to build a fire (if he was a smoker he might have had a lighter on him) while they wait to be found. The FB of the children's Mom shows a very devoted and loving family.

FOUND A missing father and his two children are returned home safely.

Butte County Sheriff
UPDATE: On 4/16/19, at 12:50AM, Butte County Sheriff's Office received a call from the wife of the missing father and 2 children stating a local citizen found them and drove them home, no medical attention was needed. BCSO Deputies immediately went to the home to confirm all three missing individuals were accounted for. We are happy to know Michael Mercado and his two children are home and safe. Thank you to the many agencies and resources that assisted in this search.
Butte County Sheriff

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0
Back