UNSOLVED NM - Skeletal Human Remains Found Near New Mexico's Baylor Canyon

doodles1211

Reaction score
LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) — Dona Ana County Sheriff's detectives say they're investigating the discovery of skeletal human remains near the Baylor Canyon area of the Organ Mountains.

They say a hiker made the discovery Friday evening.

Sheriff's detectives responded and began an initial investigation of the area, locating some personal effects and a backpack near the remains.

They say documents found inside the backpack might help identify the remains, which were transported Saturday to the New Mexico Office of the Medical Examiner.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-remains-found-near-new-mexicos-baylor-canyon

Hiker describes human skull found in Organ Mountains: 'It had staples in it'

Another article with a bit more detail:

The hiker found the sun bleached skull resting upon a backpack. There was also a femur bone nearby. No flesh on any of the bones.

The skull had staples in it suggesting some type of prior head surgery.

There were sunglasses, ripped up underware and a bloody t-shirt nearby.

Last edited:
Hiker describes human skull found in Organ Mountains: 'It had staples in it'

Another article with a bit more detail:

The hiker found the sun bleached skull resting upon a backpack. There was also a femur bone nearby. No flesh on any of the bones.

The skull had staples in it suggesting some type of prior head surgery.

There were sunglasses, ripped up underware and a bloody t-shirt nearby.

Staples in the skull? That's very odd. Staples wouldn't be used to close bone. Plates & screws would be. Staples are sometimes used to close skin instead of sutures in neurosurgery & would be removed shortly after surgery. (Week or so)

I wonder if someone had cancer & went off on their own post op?

This made me think of David Parker Ray.

Have a few more minutes to reply. I'm a brain cancer survivor, and I'm thinking the hiker saw plates & screws. They're usually quite small, unless a person has been in a really horrible accident or required extensive reconstruction. I'm thinking that's what they saw instead of staples. Staples just don't make sense to me. I'm going to try to upload a photo of an example of some neuro plates & screws. 1948669_4.jpg

I'm wondering who else is missing who was known to have had brain surgery?

Another thought, really out there, but what if it actually was staples of the sort used on a building site? Those might penetrate your skull.....

I assume these are surgical staples because I don't think the ME would have mentioned head surgery otherwise.

These are skeletal remains that have been out in the open. Staples on the skull suggest a history of head surgery. Nothing says that the skull itself was stapled. It sounds like the staples were found on the skull, which would likely happen if someone with a recently stapled scalp incision died in this manner.

If they had seen evidence of significant surgery to the skull itself like a craniotomy (a hole made to relieve pressure and place drains) they'd likely mention it. I wonder if this person may have even have had something as simple as a scalp laceration injury that was stapled.

Did the ME mention the staples? The only mention I've seen was the hiker who discovered them, which is why I'm confused & intrigued. Thanks!

Did the ME mention the staples? The only mention I've seen was the hiker who discovered them, which is why I'm confused & intrigued. Thanks!
You're right, sorry, it does look like it was just the hiker mentioning them.

You're right, sorry, it does look like it was just the hiker mentioning them.

There's so little online about this. I was hoping you had found something new. Wondering if the backpack had enough info to ID, and they're still notifying family, etc.?

There's so little online about this. I was hoping you had found something new. Wondering if the backpack had enough info to ID, and they're still notifying family, etc.?

Yeah, it's only been a few days so they may already have an ID they're working on. This is also close to the border, so there's a possibility this is a migrant. In that case, even if they have valid identifying documents from the backpack, it could take them a long time to track down kin.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back