CO - Sol Pais, Threats to Columbine High and 20 other schools

When did they immigrate from Argentina?

It reminds me of the sense of alienation some of the terrorists who had come from various countries and moved to western nations like Germany, and APPEARED to assimilate well. But they didn't. They felt apart. Trapped between two worlds.

I understand that a bit. As a child of immigrants there were things that stood out about me when I was young. I spoke differently. Dressed
Differently. Other kids and even their parents seemed to view me as not that American.

But in Europe I was viewed by my extended family and friends as not really belonging. As their "foreign" and very American relation. (I remember an aunt telling me "Gosh you even walk like an American!").

It can be super isolating and if someone has a mental health issue and/or feelings of entitlement, that can erupt into violent rages or psychosis.

I think immigrants who have a large immigrant community in the new nation tend to do better (as do their kids) because they have help assimilating but also holding on to a bit of home and a support network of people who are going through the same thing.

Belonging and being accepted are so important to mental health.

Thanks, @gitana1. Excellent post.

Lots of people wonder that as well, including myself. Anytime there is a gun or school incident, the media in Denver flocks to Columbine to interview students. I fear that that constant keeping that school in the headlines just continues to make it a target and fuels those obsessed with its killers.

Absolutely. I work with a man who used to be with the SS. He went to Columbine after the event. It’s horrific what he saw.

Well said.
The mixed emotions we get from these cases is a tough thing to handle for us.

When I first started following cases here on WS and especially cases involving some of the horrendous murder cases, I used to have a very one sided opinion of hating the murderer and only wished the death penalty on most of them.

As the years have gone on and I have learned from some great WS members here that are experts in phsychology, I have gotten a better understanding of some of the severe emotional issues that "some" of the murderers and criminals have. It helps to begin to understand why some of them do what they do.

We can always still hate their terrible actions and yes some of them are just plain mean people that have no issues at all, but some of them are truly disturbed mentally. Even though it can never be an acceptable excuse for the terrible actions and behaviors, it does help us to begin to understand why some of them do what they do.

From real post-pardum depression cases, to cases like this where we find out the person is really disturbed mentally, it begins to help us see why some of the people do such horrible things we read about.

Unfortunately, even with that insight, we still dont have many answers to help prevent some of these tragic cases, except for the common theme of trying to get people medical help if and when we find out someone is not doing well mentally.

IMO it all comes down to mental
Health. And drugs.

Pais - whose online handle is "Dissolved Girl" . . .
Florida woman who threatened Columbine High School is dead, FBI...

By Washington Post Today at 9:50 a.m.
DENVER - The frantic hunt for an armed young woman who threatened Columbine High ended Wednesday near the base of a mountain 40 miles west of the school. Sol Pais, an 18-year-old who was the target of a nearly 20-hour manhunt, was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, authorities said.
[...]
Online postings and a journal that appear to have been written by Pais indicate that in the last year she's been grappling with a heightened sense of isolation and anger.

In an entry dated January 15, Pais - whose online handle is "Dissolved Girl" - hinted that she might carry out an attack. "My views and thoughts [are] becoming more extreme and solidified as time goes by," she wrote on her personal web site's diary. "I feel like a pot of scolding water on the verge of boiling over."

In late March, Pais wrote on the website of the National Gun Forum, asking how she could acquire a weapon in Colorado if she lived in another state.

"Hello everybody," she wrote. "Florida resident here. I am planning a trip to Colorado in the next month or so and wanna buy a shotgun while I'm there and I was wondering what restrictions would apply for me? I've found a few private sellers I might want to purchase from... Thank you for reading, I appreciate your response!"
[...]
Pais purchased three one-way plane tickets from Miami to Denver, for April 15, 16 and 17, said Dean Phillips, the special agent in charge of the Denver FBI office, in a Wednesday press briefing. She boarded a plane on Monday. Pais landed in Colorado later that day, Phillips said, and went looking for a weapon. The owner of Colorado Gun Broker, a shop two miles away from the high school, confirmed on Wednesday that his store sold Pais the shotgun two days earlier.

"We had no reason to suspect she was a threat to either herself or anyone else," said the shop owner, Josh Rayburn, in a Facebook post. Rayburn said that Pais passed a "full background check" and cleared the FBI's warning system. "We are very sorry to hear of the outcome in this situation," he said. "It is never good when someone loses their life."

Authorities believe Pais then traveled to the foothills of Mount Evans, where an Uber driver dropped her off. The car's driver told the FBI that Pais hadn't said anything suspicious during the ride, Phillips said at the briefing.That was the last time she was seen.After she got out of the car, Pais traveled about a half mile down a foot trail near the base of the mountain, said Rick Albers, the sheriff of Clear Creek County, about 30 minutes west of Denver. She then veered from the trail to walk uphill through a snow-packed forest of pine trees. When Albers and other law enforcement officers found her body, at around 10:50 local time Wednesday morning, she was dead from a self-inflicted gun shot. She was wearing a black shirt, a multi-colored plaid jacket, and camouflage pants. Her weapon was found close to her body.
[...]

When Albers and other law enforcement officers found her body, at around 10:50 local time Wednesday morning, she was dead from a self-inflicted gun shot. She was wearing a black shirt, a multi-colored plaid jacket, and camouflage pants. Her weapon was found close to her body.
[...]
Snipped.

So she was not naked when she died. Where in the world did that report come from?

jmo

I posted this in the thread about the thwarted mass shooting that was to occur at the Halifax mall.

In that case, the three people involved were obsessed with Columbine.

A Canadian podcaster has done a five-part series on the case, and it includes an interview with the American woman who is now in prison in Canada.

There are undoubtedly many similarities between her and the girl in this case.

This page has all the episodes- The Night Time Podcast Episodes — The Nighttime Podcast scroll down to 2/5/19 for the first one. You can also listen via a podcast app - its the Night Time Podcast.

---

This article is a few years old, but its a good read about what techniques are being used to identify these people before they commit their crimes - Inside the race to stop the next mass shooter

I just scanned the whole thread and didn't see this answered anywhere. Why would she buy three one-way airline tickets for three consecutive days???

Pais purchased three one-way plane tickets from Miami to Denver, for April 15, 16 and 17, said Dean Phillips, the special agent in charge of the Denver FBI office, in a Wednesday press briefing.

I just scanned the whole thread and didn't see this answered anywhere. Why would she buy three one-way airline tickets for three consecutive days???

Pais purchased three one-way plane tickets from Miami to Denver, for April 15, 16 and 17, said Dean Phillips, the special agent in charge of the Denver FBI office, in a Wednesday press briefing.

My guess is back up plans. If a flight got cancelled, or if she missed a flight her plan wouldn't fail completely. It's not abnormal to make multiple flights, if you aren't sure what day you will leave.

Though, this is certainly more likely when you are using miles and can be refunded without penalty. To buy 3 non refundable one way tickets on consecutive days would be much stranger.

I'm surprised she didn't wait until the anniversary to do this.

All good points.

As for her age, I am wondering if maybe she was a little older and maybe they wanted her to graduate from a US school so may have fibbed on her age to get her into Senior year to graduate and not feel out of place age-wise to the other kids.

If she was older then that alone would make her feel isolated somewhat as she would be much more mature than the other kids.

By all accounts, Dad was performing in bands in Florida early 90's, and SP was born in the US -- attending elementary, middle, and HS in Surfside, Florida as reported by neighbors and friends. No reason for her age to be fabricated. I wouldn't be surprised if photo being circulated was her Mum-- Doesn't look like an 18 year old! MOO

I wondered the same thing. I think, since she was a teen and living at home, she set it up so if one day didn’t work out the next day might, or the next day. She was determined imo.

By all accounts, Dad was performing in bands in Florida early 90's, and SP was born in the US -- attending elementary, middle, and HS in Surfside, Florida as reported by neighbors and friends. No reason for her age to be fabricated. I wouldn't be surprised if photo being circulated was her Mum-- Doesn't look like an 18 year old! MOO
I think this is more than likely correct. It’s probably her mom. Jmo

After skimming though her journal (hard reading for me, her handwriting is difficult to decipher) I’m getting a picture of a really tortured young lady spiraling down into a frightening suicidal depression - but I’m not seeing her project that on others. I don’t at all see anything to indicate she might be a threat to anyone but herself, and I don’t see any reference to Columbine. Not even close.

Not sure why she went to Colorado, but it’s obvious to me that she was on a mission to end her life there - exactly where and how she did. Which isn’t even really all that close to Columbine.

Question: has anybody seen anything to suggest she was even familiar with what happened at Columbine? Is there even a connection?

It’s sad beyond words how bad everybody failed this girl.

Have we learn who reported the alleged threats? Been reading her alleged blog. Her posts talk of isolation. Anxiety and feeling out of place. I haven’t found anything that may point toward a possible attack to Columbine specifically.

A tragedy really. Good no one else got hurt.

I just posted almost the same as you.
After reading her journal I believe she was planning suicide, what she finally did. So sad, poor girl
After skimming though her journal (hard reading for me, her handwriting is difficult to decipher) I’m getting a picture of a really tortured young lady spiraling down into a frightening suicidal depression - but I’m not seeing her project that on others. I don’t at all see anything to indicate she might be a threat to anyone but herself, and I don’t see any reference to Columbine. Not even close.

Not sure why she went to Colorado, but it’s obvious to me that she was on a mission to end her life there - exactly where and how she did. Which isn’t even really all that close to Columbine.

Question: has anybody seen anything to suggest she was even familiar with what happened at Columbine? Is there even a connection?

It’s sad beyond words how bad everybody failed this girl.

I don’t doubt there was a Columbine connection... Lots of places to buy guns in the area and she just happened to go to one just 1.7 miles from Columbine High School a few days before the anniversary? But I question whether the connection she felt with the shooters or the victims. In her own mind she was already dead before she even got to Colorado.

I believe the FBI agent said in the press conference yesterday she had made disturbing comments about Columbine to family and friends. I also believe her parents reported her missing which of course would start a LE conversation about her and what she had been up to prior to taking off.

I don’t doubt there was a Columbine connection... Lots of places to buy guns in the area and she just happened to go to one just 1.7 miles from Columbine High School a few days before the anniversary? But I question whether the connection she felt with the shooters or the victims. In her own mind she was already dead before she even got to Colorado.

She refers to Columbine on her personal blogs/online journals and websites. I'm sorry I misread your comment. Please disregard!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back